5,668 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolocean viewblack swanself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishabc storean umbrellafree shuttlean upgrade
Reviewed 11 October 2007

We had planned to spend our entire seven-night vacation at the Westin Maui, but left after only two nights. It's not a bad place, but it is big, crowded and noisy -- not what we came to Hawaii for. Were it not for the ocean, we could have been in Vegas. I was surprised that the huge pool was 4-feet at its most shallow, making it difficult for our 6-year old, who is still not completely comfortable in the water. The walk to the next-door mall is short, giving you access to other dining options, which can be a good thing. With one day's notice, the Westin allowed us to cancel the rest of our stay. I'm sure they had no problem filling the room. We ended up moving to the Fairmont Kea Lani, a more traditional Hawaiian hotel, with beautiful lawns, a great -- but not overdone -- pool, and a room that was three times as large for only $25 more per night. The room itself was worth the move, but the more relaxed atmosphere gave us what we wanted in our Hawaiian vacation -- peace, quiet and still a nice and fun pool -- with a slide! -- and beach for our son.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank gcwarren
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Stayed here for five nights. Rooms are small even for just two people but we didnt spend much time in the rooms. Its not the type of place I would get attached to. Most likely we will try another hotel next summer.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jsaby10
Reviewed 3 October 2007

We just returned yesterday from our honeymoon at the Westin Maui. If you're like me, and some of the other posts were making you nervous about your choice, read this review.

The Westin Maui is a beautiful hotel. We were in the Ocean tower, partial ocean view room, 4th floor, overlooking the lobby waterfalls. The room had been recently renovated, w/ granite countertops and a flat screen TV. The only problem I had w/ the hotel, that I read others have had as well, is that when we went to check in, the only room available was a room w/ 2 doubles. I had requested a King. Maybe others already know this, but I learned a valuable lesson: When you book through Expedia (like I did) or another service, and not through the Westin itself, or if your travel agent didn't guarantee a king room, you will not have one. I got a little agitated until I read my itinerary, and it plainly states that Expedia will forward my requests to the Westin, but w/ no guarantees. They did offer to put us in a king room the next day, however, after seeing how beautiful our room and view were, we decided to keep what we had.

The aquatic playground is fantastic - in fact, the best pool area in the Kaanapoli area. The beach is beautiful, however, the shore break can be a little treacherous. There was never a lack of chairs, however, if you want to sit in the shade, I recommend putting your towel down and reserving early in the morning. (they say you can not do this, but everybody does so don't worry about it)

A few helpful tips:

Never valet your car - the parking is very convenient, and if it's full (which it usually is, especially in the evenings, valet is FREE!)

Our room package included the breakfast buffett at either the Westin, Westin Villas, or Sheraton (right down the boardwalk). We preferred the breakfast buffett at the Sheraton.

If you do not want to be "harrassed" by timeshare sales people, like is mentioned in many of the reviews, simply do not go to the concierge desk. They will try to entice you w/ a free gift, and leave you a voice mail. Simply do not ever stop by that desk and you will be fine.

Alcoholic drinks are very expensive: Go to the ABC at Whalers Village, mix in the room in the provided coffee cups, and enjoy at the pool!

Dinner in Maui is expensive, but worth it. We did not eat at any of the hotel restaurants.

1. Do not miss happy hour at Rusty Harpoons in Whalers Village between 2-5 (Mai Tai's for $3.50) The food is great, as well. (Be sure to get the lettuce wraps)

2. The Feast at Lele (Luau in Lahaina) is not to be missed. It is the most expensive ($105 pp) but worth it. It's a 5 course menu and very romantic.

3. Aloha Mixed Plate is a local dive, and a more resonable restaurant to give your wallet a break. Lot's of good authentic Hawaiian food (Front Street in Lahaina).

4. Sansei in Kapalua is Japanese w/ an Hawaiian flare, and was one of the best meals we had while in Maui. (order the tempura fried ice cream!)

5. Longhi's on Front street in Lahaina. Italian w/ Hawaiian flare. Go on Friday night - The band starts at 10 upstairs.

6. David Pauls in Lahaina. Very good, but the most expensive meal we had, (besides the Luau) but not the best meal we had.

7. Mama's Fish House in Paia - DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE - (make reservations) The atmosphere is fantastic. And the food is incredible. This was the best place we ate and experienced all week.

We didn't drive to Hana, but the drive through Paia to see the windsurfers is nice.
Also, be sure not to miss "Big Beach" in Makena (drive through Kihei and Wailea) Big Beach is the best and biggest beach and hasn't been spoiled by development (about 45 minutes from the Westin) Walk up the cliff to "Little Beach," but be advised, clothing is optional at Little Beach.

I hope this review helps. I would highly recommend the Westin Maui for a honeymoon or any other trip. Monday through Thursday was relatively quiet, and then some crowds (and children) came in for the weekend, but the pool area is so large, they were never a nuisance.

Enjoy your trip!

Stayed: September 2007
26  Thank RMCMIP
Reviewed 2 October 2007

I think September is the perfect time to come to Maui, after school has started for all the school kids. We went there with our 9 1/2 month old and stayed at the Westin Maui for 5 nights.

We found the grounds beautiful. The pools were nice with the largest being only 4 ft deep all the way around, so I could hold my son everywhere around the pool and under the waterfalls. The beach in front is great but a bit crowded with all the resorts in Kaanapali.

Our room had 2 full beds and a mountain view. Very nice view. One day we saw a rainbow outside our window. They put a lot of furniture in that small remodeled room, so our little one did not have any room to cruise around, especially after they put the crib in...very tight quarters. The Heavenly beds were soft but due to my back strain, I needed a firmer bed. Most people would love the beds. The crib also had a thicker heavenly crib mattress, which was firm. Unfortunately, the room had a dank kinda smell, which is probably due to the humidity outside.

The location is great. We did not try the restaurants because we thought they were way overpriced. We walked over to the Sheraton Maui, full hotel charge privileges, and had lunch there at a more reasonable "Maui" price. Everything in Maui is expensive so $12-14 per person for lunch was reasonable.

Next time, we would probably get a condo or a place with more room for our baby.

Reasonable places to eat - Penne Pasta and BJ Chicago Pizzeria in Lahiana. Tasty Crust in Kahuliu. Bada Bings in Kihei

Get the Maui Revealed book, great resource.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank klbears
Reviewed 30 September 2007

My husband and I stayed here for the second half of our honeymoon. We came from the Four Seasons which we loved (see our review sam0825), so take our comments in light of that. There is no comparison between the 2 hotels in terms of luxury and service - the Four Seasons far surpasses. But the Westin would certainly appeal to tourists and those with families (mainly because of the pool area with water slides and lots of kids). Upon arrival we were "upgraded" from the ocean view room we booked to a deluxe ocean view room - BEWARE! The deluxe ocean view rooms in the beach tower - at least ours - face partially ocean and partially parking lots and other buildings. Our "deluxe" room on the Starwood preferred guest floor was very small, dark dank and dirty, with low stucco ceilings, an outdated bathroom and a TV from the 1990s. Having come from an immaculate spacious room at the Four Seaons, we asked to be "downgraded" back to our original ocean view room. We were the next day, to a room in the ocean tower. It was 100 times better! the room was still small but clean and modern with a beautiful view of the ocean and pools, and a large flat screen TV. [By the way, the fact that we had to wait until the next day to get our original room which was unavailble when we checked in made us realize that we were likely not upgraded, rather they gave our room away].
The hotel lobby and pools definitely have a wow factor, although a bit cartoonish. But if you are a tourist who wants to feel like they're in Hawaii, this would fit the bill. The best part was the beautiful beach, although you have to pay $25 to reserve an umbrella and 2 [incredibly uncomfortable] beach chairs. And if you don't do it by 7:30 AM you probably won't get one. And they make you vacate the chairs and umbrella at 4:30 which is completely ridiculous and well before sunset which is beautiful and worth watching from the beach. We found the pool area to be very crowded and dirty. The one day that we decided to sit there rather than the beach, we had to move since there was so much garbage on the ground, the birds were attacking it. The water in the pools was also pretty dirty. There is very limited seating in the shade, and there is minimal staff checking to see if you'd like a drink.
We loved the restaurant Tropica and ate there at least twice. Have your breakfast over there too - same menu and buffet as the one by the pool but less crowded with a view of the ocean.
I would NOT stay here if you are looking for a luxurious, romantic honeymoon. I would definitely consider staying here with kids.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple