“Not bad”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lisbon - Portugal
“Not bad”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

It's a normal resort. It's not fantastic, but it's not bad. If the hotel is full you will be in trouble to find a place in the swiming pool. The breakfast could be better (and, normally, you have to wait for a table), but the rooms are good. The location is in front of the beach, at 15 minuts walking far from Whaleres Village, where you have a nice Shopping Center and some restaurants ( Hula is a good one), but there are a free shuttle every 20 minuts from/for the hotel to Whaleres Village. To go to Lahina you must have a car, or you can go by bus (Nº 25) from Whaleres Village, and cost you 2,00US$ per person. The service is good at the front desk, with friendly people, but in the restaurants you have to wait a little. My advice is, rent a car for 2 days and go to know Maui...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank NunoLisbon_Portugal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt at Kaanapalli Beach. The grounds were amazing with beautiful gardens and pool area. There's parrot's, penguin, and swan's to see everyday. The rooms are very well equipped and the bed's were extremely comfortable.
We really enjoyed the beach area in front, however we had to go down the beach quite a ways to find a good swimming area. The area in front of the hotel is rocky.
But the location is very convenient to both Whalers village and Lahaina.
We did pay half price for the room on Priceline, which was quite a steal for the quality of the property. Do know though that even with Priceline you do have to pay the $25.00 resort fee. Which is funny because I had called ahead and was told that I didn't since I booked through Priceline.
But even so it was a very good value.

Room Tip: All the rooms were basically the same. all very nice. Ours was a garden view, which actually did ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay at our resort. I am delighted that you had an excellent stay. It sounds like you really enjoyed the grounds as well as the animals. I am glad you found your room to be well appointed and the Hyatt Grand Bed to be extremely comfortable. Your feedback is greatly appreciated . We hope to welcome you back for another stay in the future!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
Olympic National Park, Washington
Reviewed 25 March 2012

High quality hotel, good workout facility on the beach (but still behind walls and locked doors). Not a tropical get away, more like a visit to a resort in a big city. The beach is not the type you will lay out on, the waves are too rough for kids to play on w/out a super watchful eye, and the beach is very narrow. Expect to lay around the pool area and rarely look out at the beautiful ocean. The hotel is probably the best option for kids in the area (fun pools and penguins/animals), beautifully landscaped, rope bridge over pools, great waterside, tiki torches at night, interesting/dreamy lagoons. Parking is a nightmare. Food options are limited for a family. Def feels like Hawaii but falls short on the relaxing getaway and cultural experience you may be in pursuit of. If you are choosing between this hotel and another resort in kanappalli (sp?), I would stay here.

Room Tip: King room and requested 2 rollaways for our family.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rainforestrunner
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 25 March 2012

To start, I will not leave a review, unless I feel I can leave 5 stars, this however got me so mad I had to. First I rented a Ocean Front Club Level Room, I required 2 things of this room. 1 it had a nice bath tub for my wife 2. we could have an ocean view. We could only afford to stay 2 nights at 600 a night. Our condo we had for 10 days, cost less then a 2 day stay at the Hyatt. Our wedding reception ended and we checked in to our room. The first thing I noticed we were in a Handicap room. The shower head came to my belly button and had no tub, only a roll in shower with a seated bench. I called down "systems down" of course they were. I was instructed to call back at 6am to switch rooms. I set my alarm call at 6am. "nothing" available. I was willing to downgrade and be reimbursed the difference. I was told they had "nothing available" call back the next day. Called the next day, "nothing" we checked out after 2 days. I was never happier to go back to a $79 dollar a night condo. I wrote a long letter to the Hyatt. Calico the Guest Service Manager from the Hyatt Maui called and said she was sorry. We were put in the ONLY Handicap room on the entire floor and other rooms were available. I spent so much time worrying about when to call and trying to change, I couldn't fully relax. She gave me some Hyatt points said she was sorry and also said next time we come to Maui to call her and she will "take care of us". Well guess what, we are going this April for our 1 year Anniversary, so I called 2 times, left 2 different messages. No call back. A wedding night is something you enjoy once (I hope) and for someone to patch up a total mess with points and false promises is not ok. Calico is a joke in Customer Service. I have only had positives at all the Hyatt's, I have ever stayed at. This may sound caddy and ridiculous, I wanted everything to be perfect for my wife on our Wedding night. It was far from!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask if you are in a Handicap room before you check in!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank SURFSUP1011
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear SURFSUP1011,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're very sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced during your stay at our hotel. We understand honeymoons are a very special time and hope the next time you come into our hotel you're able to experience the true Hyatt touch. We're glad we were able to get in contact with you directly. Please feel free to contact us if you need any future assistance.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
League City, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Just returned from Spring Break trip with the kids. We had a full ocean front room, nice typical two double bed layout with enough room for a twin cot. Room was furnished nicely, nothing over the top, but not cheap either. Typical resort room features included a minibar, snack center, large in-room safe, large flat screen TV.

The hotel is open air. So when you leave your room, you are walking into a hallway that rings an open air atrium. The natural breeze that blows through there is refreshing, as is the soothing sound of the surf from the open balcony.

Several food venues are offered. The breakfast buffet is adequate, cost will be $85 for two adults and two kids with tax/tip. I've eaten at many good restaurants, so I would rate the food as good not great. Japengo is their beachfront Sushi restaurant open for dinner. We ate there one night and had a nice variety of items. I would definitely avoid the kids' California roll. It is a roll-your-own operation, and it is a mess. My son opted to have the chef remake his in the traditional style rather than the hand roll style that I personally believe to be too difficult to make/eat simply because it is so big.

Poolside dining is fine if you can find a server. Seems that there were too few servers working for the crowd that was at the pool.

Kids loved the kids' pool area, though I thought it was small. It has a small slide for the little ones, and a fully enclosed "lava tube" slide for larger kids (48" minimum height). The hot tub is adjacent to the kids' area, so they were running back and forth to the hot tub and the pool. The larger main pool is nice with a basketball goal mounted to the "rocks" and a grotto that you can swim through.

I agree with other reviewers about the small beach. A short walk down the Ka'anapali beachwalk from the Hyatt is a much larger beach, at least 50 yards wide. The Hyatt beach seemed to be at best 10 yards wide.

Kids activities are limited to kids camp. Unlike other Hyatt resorts, there are no organized activities for the kids not enrolled in camp. No PM movie, no smores, no face painting, etc. Our kids were in kids camp for two sessions. They absolutely loved it! They got individual attention from a counselor (glorified babysitter) who made sure they had a great time.

If you are looking for a nice resort to spend by the pool, this is certainly a fine choice, just get down to the pool to claim your chair early in the morning. The staff was extremely polite and always seemed to bend over backwards to fix any problems. There were a few not relevant to this review and all handled with top priority. I can't compliment the staff enough for making us feel special.

Parking was a bear if you try to park in the first lot. Cars are literally six inches apart. With a minivan, I finally gave up and parked in the back lot by the spa where the spaces are wider. It saved me so much aggravation and the extra two minute walk wasn't that bad.

The Regency club was nice, not great. We actually preferred the Regency club at Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop, TX better. The Regency club didn't have much in the way of "take out" snacks. Snacks and nuts were in a large bowl rather than in individually wrapped portions. There were no lids for carrying out drink cups to the pool, and the happy hour drinks were not easily available. That being said, the Regency club did have the best internet access in the property which brings up the one truly negative aspect of our stay.

While I was on vacation and could have worked if I wanted to, my wife had to work. Our internet access (WiFi) was non-existent in our room. We had a 1 MPS signal. They actually put a WiFi router in our hotel room to improve the situation. Despite the great 56 MPS connection we then had, nothing moved. Web pages would not load. My wife could not send out e-mails. I spent 1-1/2 hours trying to download a movie to my tablet and only pulled in 27 minutes worth of viewing time. Though the hotel knew they had internet problems and were exceptionally gracious in helping us with the problem, it was a disaster for my wife. We happened to upgrade to the Regency Club and found they had a lightning fast connection with equally good data throughput. That made the difference for my wife and she could actually get work done. And that movie that took so long to download, I was able to download the remaining 70 minutes of viewing time in less than 15 minutes.

Overall, nice place, great staff, bad internet. if internet access is important to you, I recommend you call and check if it's fixed before booking.

Room Tip: Low floors with full ocean view may be obstructed by foliage.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank txjsr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
37.2 km away
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!