All reviews haleakala sunrise road to hana haleakala national park fresh fruit and pastries watch the sunrise up country kula bistro stayed two nights comfortable rooms next morning great room lawn chairs our honeymoon great place to stay blue room each morning gabby
Reviewed 31 July 2012

If you plan to make the Haleakala sunrise, this is THE place to stay! Michael (and Gabby) are wonderful hosts and provide you with a delicious breakfast, blankets, coffee, etc to take with you to the sunrise. A stay on Maui is not complete without a stay in Up Country at this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarenS458
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Upcountry B&B was the perfect B&B if you want to see Haleakala, The Road to Hana, Upcountry Maui, South Maui Beaches, and Paia. The owner goes out of his way to get you ready for your early morning trip to the summit of Haleakala to see the sun rise. He packs a breakfast the night before and has blankets/clothes/etc. for the cold morning. He also provides excellent fruit breakfasts and french pastries. The B&B is flawless (Built by the owner). We stayed in the Black and White room. Has an amazing view of Maui. The room is big and comfortable. Perfect weather in the upcountry, not too hot, not too cold. Good for hot days at the beach. Spa is amazing at night to view the stars. Absolute 5 out of 5. Michael is one of the best hosts we've ever had at a B&B.

Room Tip: Black and White room has a fireplace for cold months along with double sink and king bed. Nice lanai for stargazing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed here in May 2012 for the purpose of seeing the sunrise on Haleakala. After staying there, we wished we had planned more time there. Michael is very welcoming and accomodating. He has thought of everything for the sunrise crowd; a breakfast bag with coffee to take, blankets and warm clothes for the summit! The room was very nice and modern. Very nice hot tub on the patio that was very relaxing. Clean and well stocked. We hope to return to Kauai some day and will definetly try to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I had tried to make a reservation to stay there and had emailed Micheal all the information I needed except for my credit card number. Rather than confirming that he did have reservations open and what room was available, he kept insisting me to read his website. He was too lazy to help me and email me what he needed me to do and rather kept sending me rude emails! I've worked for the hotel industry for 10 years and do not understand how you are still in business after being so rude to customers. I don't care how wonderful the views are from you house, I would rather sleep on the street than be anywhere near someone so rude. Yes, I do know how to read, I do have two college degrees and do not need to go back to third grade. Thanks you. And don't worry, I wouldnt stay in your place if someone paid me to!

• Stayed: June 2012
11  Thank Amyon
kulaboy11, Owner at Upcountry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

I don't really know who wrote this-becuase he's never been here- but there are almost a hundred restrictions put on Bed and Breakfasts here on Maui. While this person says he has worked in the Hotel industry my guess it wasn't in Hawaii or on Maui. I asked him to read the Room Rates page- that's it, not fly to the moon-because there are so many restrictions and everyone should know what they are. It's not really a lot to ask, you are asking to stay in my home and if that is too much to ask they go to a Hotel where they don't care about the 600 people you vacation with. I didn't create these restrictions the State of Hawaii, the County of Maui and my Insurance Company did. If you have a problem with the restrictions talk to them. I try to run a peaceful, quiet place and if that's not working for you then please don't ruin the vacation of everyone who is staying here. I get about 30 E-mails a day and this is the only person in 12 years to complain about reading the Room Rates Page-go figure!

Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed our first night on Maui at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast because of its close proximity to Haleakala. The owner, Michael, was great. When I emailed him he gave me all the instructions I needed about what time to wake up in order to see the sunrise.
We arrived around 7pm and he graciously showed us all of the ammenities at this home. He made a great recommendation for a little restaurant just down the street from him for supper. We had a fantastic pizza! Their other food looked amazing too. This restaurant doesn't have a liquor licence -- but you can just go across the street to the store and buy a bottle and bring it into the restaurant. Talk about convenient! When we got back to our room for the night -- there sitting outside the door was a cooler packed with our scones, apple-bananas, a thermos for our coffee (which we could make fresh in the room) and he even gave my non-coffee-drinking husband a container filled with delicious Orange Juice. I have to tell you that the coffee was fantastic and I so enjoyed it as I sat in the freezing cold waiting for the sunrise. Micheal had a detailed hand-drawn map of how to get the the crater in the early morning hours. He also had a map showing the many other attractions in Upcountry Maui. The sunrise is SO worth seeing. Do wear gloves/hat/lots of layers. Michael even has chairs for you to take -- very nice to not sit on the cold ground/concrete. Other people there thought that we had done this before because we were to "prepared". Little did they know that it was Michael that had prepared us!
If I had to do it again, I would have stayed an additional night at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast and enjoyed the other Upcountry attractions.
You will not be disappointed in this choice. Michael truly does care about his home and wants his guests to enjoy their stay.
Thanks Michael for a wonderful memory!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple