“A different Point of view!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hale Hui Kai Condominium

Hale Hui Kai Condominium
Ranked #27 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Ottawa, Canada
“A different Point of view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Having stayed at the Hale Hui Kai many times over the past 8 years, I felt compelled to post this.
The Hale Hui Kai is a very unique property, sitting at the end of one of the most gloriously unknown beaches on Maui. The beach is uncrowded, due to it's length and the fact it is lined with extravagant houses.
We have stayed in units on the first floor, the second floor and the third. We have traveled as a couple, with grandparents and with our five children. Due to private ownership, every unit we have stayed in has had it's own intepretation of the 'Aloha Spirit'. The complex was built in the 1970's as a representation of 'old' Hawaii....with an open air courtyard, tropical gardens, louvered windows to provide eco-friendly air-conditioning and the feeling, that the 'beach' is where it is at. Most of the units have been completly renovated... with lots of tile, marble and glass.
Each time we return, we look forward to Leslie, who is the manager in charge of bookings and helping out the guests. She always has time for our questions and offers many ideas for our vacation that only someone who lives on the island would know. Any problems that we have had, have always been sorted out. She is a delight to deal with! When she is off duty, there is also resident manager.
The Hale Hui Kai is absolutly the best value for your dollar if you are looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit on the beach! That being said, of course it is appealing to families. Actually Maui prides itself, in being appealing to families.....not to mention everyone else on the planet.
Is this complex for everyone......no.
It is not a six star resort...although they are within walking distance. It does not have a fabulous pool, but with such an amazing beach...I have actually never even been in the pool. Is everything shiny and new....no....but there is a Four Seasons down the beach that asks $500 for a garden view room if this is important. It can, have noisy guests...but honestly I have been disturbed at Marriotts, Hiltons, Hyatts, etc.....
I think this complex is best suited for the kind of traveller that leaves his fast-paced, stressed -out life on the plane....can roll with the waves and allows the Maui breezes to calm his soul! Aloha.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank lillypuggles

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We had a fabulous stay at the Hale Hui Kai and thoroughly enjoyed being in a property that was right on the best beach in the world. The unit was furnished beautifully and had all the amenities including wireless access. The manager for this unit is terrific, helpful and respectful. The unit is very clean and well maintained. The front garden location is like being in a tree house - you can just walk 100 yards and be on the beach from there. Wonderful contrast. Writing this has prompted me to rebook this for the near future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GnarlyGirl
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Beware. I was there with severl others and with the excption of the location of the complex, we have nothing positive to say about our stay, the building, the owner of our unit (#208), the on site property manager or the Assoc. To begin with, our unit was very noisey. The untit all share a common walkway, which is covered. The bedrooms, which I am told include all or most, have windows that open directly on the walkway (if you want privacy, keep your windows and blinds closed). SInce our unit, and many others, did not have A/C, in order to allow any kind of ventiulation and cool off the bedrooms, we kept our windows cracked. The problem with this is that the windows are the old louvered type. When they are cracked open, anyone walking down the common hallway can see in. If they are closed, the unit was very uncomforatble with little or no venitaltion. At night, eveyone can hear eveything going on not only in the hall but also in others bedrooms. When we were there, there was a very young child that cried into the wee hours of the morning. Several neighbors complained. One night, after 4 days of very little sleep and the onsite property manager who was very unresponsive to our complaints of the noise, I knocked on one of the units doors at about 1:00 am and asked that they turn thier bedboom tv volume down. In our unit, there are even signs posted cautioning tenants to be aware the neighbors here eveything going on in the bedrooms and I mean eveything. In addtion to the noise, although our unit appeared to be recently remodeled, it was full of ants, large cock roaches. On the first night, I walked into the kitchen and found a cock roach about 6" ling and wide sitting on the floor. We are very clean and there was no food out for them to feast on. It went down hill from there. When we spoke to the onsite manager and the representative from the real esate company, we were given one trap for the cock roaches and told that was all we could have. After a big battle, we were finally given two more but even that was not enough. My sonicare tooth brush had to be tossed out as did several of my shoes that had been stored on the bedroom floor after finding them infested with small ants. Again I spoke to the onstie manager, the head of the real estate company with no results. I was told the real esate company spoke with the owner of the unit as well as the HOA president about the problems we had to see if they might offer us something for our troubles. After severl calls and emails that went unretruned, I finally got my respose. They did not do anything. I can assure you that in talking with others that stayed there, we are not the only ones that experieced the same problems and terrible service. We even got yelled at, severl times, for tracking sand (they must not realized that the condo is located only steps away from the beach) on the common area walkway, for storing a BBQ, which we only used on the beach, on our deck (not visible to others), for parking both of our cars in the parking lot. On the day we left, the onsite property manager, whom I was told was watching us on the security cameras, came out to my car, and blocked me from leaving. When I opended my window to find out what was happening, he came up to my window and began shouting at me about how they only allowed back in parking only. As I tried to explain, had I backed into the stall, I would have been unable to load my car with the lugguage and groceries that I was moving from that hoprrible place to the new place I had found to stay at before leaving for home. I could not wait to leave and will never be back again. By far the worst place I have ever stayed at. We will NEVER be back and want anyone who stays there to know what they are getting into before they end up there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank bluelight2104
Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

We have just returned from spending a month in Maui, in unit #201 at Hale Hui Kai. We are a mature couple ( late 50's) and friends also joined us for the first 2 weeks. Our condo was at the back of the unit, so we didn't have an ocean view, but our lanai was really private overlooking beautiful gardens and tall palms which made it always cool. We loved our stay, the condo was really well equipped, clean and spacious, lots of room for 4. The main selling feature for us was the proximity to a fabulous beach, as it was so nice to just walk through the open walk way to the beach area. It is all open plan so you do hear people, but it was quiet at night. The unit was clean, well managed and everyone was friendly. It really felt like a home from home. We hope to return in 2013!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back may be noisier, but because we chose a garden view we were able to stay longer. Fa...