USD 199
USD 345
USD 333
Book now, pay at stay
USD 261
Maui Banyan Vacation Club(Kihei)(Great Value!)
USD 201
USD 697
USD 573
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrooftop deckbreakfast was includedhot tubborrow beach chairsbistro setpool spathe penthouseacross the streetthe entire staffnice breakfastlush gardensspecial thankswatch the sunsetbottled watereach morningwelcome basketliterally steps
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I just stayed three nights at this 26 room quaint resort and absolutely loved it. If you have a car and don’t want to be in traffic and among the crowds definitely consider this tiny resort. They had a hot & cold breakfast, supplied everything you need to go to the beach (chairs, umbrella, beach towels) which was right across the street. The rooms were clean, the beds were very comfortable and the service was top notch. There were many good restaurants within a 1-2 mile radius. Don’t miss the sunsets!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter C
GMKoheaKai, General Manager at Kohea Kai Resort Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Mahalo for sharing with us your experiences and stay with us. Our location is nest right at the perfect location of South Kihei with the beach right across that gives us the best sunset and we are so happy that you got to see it. We at Kohea Kai do our best to provide all the amenities and services to our guest as a Mahalo for being our guest. We also want you to gain all the Aloha experience our island and our serene hotel has to offer, because we want you to take back home a little bit of our Kohea Kai Aloha spirit.
We appreciate you for sharing with us your experiences and we hope that you will visit us again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I came to this hotel by bus because I didn't have luck in getting a rental car. This place is great if you just want to be isolated and away from people. I came to this location after Lahaina, and this location is not great for the solo traveler with no car.

That being said, it was still nice to have alone time in this area with a long stretch of white sand beach that you can walk. This is a beach hotel, but... you have to frogger yourself across the road. A slight stress that goes away once you get yourself to the beach after that.

According to the local fisherman I talked to after on the beach, that specific area becomes very windy after 1pm. If people want to snorkel or walk the beach, it's nice and calm in the early morning. I didn't see many snorkelers, just higher level spear fishermen. Apparently, you have to swim pretty far from the beach to find snorkel areas. Makena or more southern beaches are recommended and busier.

I thought the breakfast was less than standard for a Choice hotel. Though, I must have seen some really good choice hotel breakfasts - so maybe that was the problem.

The room was clean and they had goody treats and water to eat, bathrobes, plenty of towels. This might be more of a pet peeve, but.. I turned off the fridge, turned off the ceiling fan, turned off the oven lights, and removed the nightlight in the bathroom. That being done, you can hear the car traffic if you're in the room closest to the beach and road. But it's a light rustle sound.

The place provides bikes that are free for the first 2 hours then a couple of dollars after that, but they want the bikes back by dark or a certain time. Which is kinda a bummer since it didn't seem like there were restaurants within walking distance... I had to take a bus for a mile or so to get to the Diamond Bar and Grill.

Because it was so windy when I came, like ~3pm. I spent time in the hot tub. That was nice. The small pool was on the cool side... so I spent more time in the hot tub. The landscaping and flowers were WONDERFUL. Many props to the gardener or landscapers. Those were some of the biggest and healthiest flowers I've seen.

Room Tip: Maybe try for a suite or balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank MissUnderstood4U

Aloha and Mahalo for your review we are always happy to receive responses regarding your stay with us. Our location is nestled away from all the hustle and bustle of Kihei, so we are a very serene property surrounded by a wonderful staff and a garden full of wonderful Hibiscus and tropical flowers.
We appreciate you sharing your experiences and we hope that you will visit us again soon.
Please feel free to let me know if there is anything that we could have done to better our overall service.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

DON'T STAY HERE. Even if you think you're getting a good deal. We booked through booking.com and our reservation was lost by the "hotel." Rather than calling booking.com for me, the receptionist asked me to do it. This required several extra steps which ultimately resulted in booking.com calling the receptionist and coming to a resolution. It seemed that everything was figured out and we went to our room which smelled like a fresh public restroom and was not worth the price we paid.

When I returned home I noticed that we had been charged twice for one night. I called the receptionist who insisted that they had credited the second charge and that I was reading my statement wrong. I was then told that there was nothing they could do on their end and so I needed to go call my bank to dispute the charges.

In short, the customer service is marginal at best and rather than trying to help in anyway possible, they put the problem back on me. I now have to fill out paperwork and go through the protest process. Definitely not worth the already overpriced accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
GMKoheaKai, General Manager at Kohea Kai Resort Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Aloha and Thank you for sharing your concerns. On behalf of the hotel and my staff I apologize truly for the inconvenience you have experienced when arriving. I have spoken to my Front Desk staff as well as our Housekeeping Department on the concerns you displayed in your response so that we have a better handle on issues as such. Again we apologize and we hope that in the near future you would give us a chance as your choice of accommodation.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Kohea Kai is a member of the Ascend collection of the Choice Hotel chain. It is located across the street from a narrow beach on the quiet north end of south Kihei road, which provides an easy in and out, especially relative to the busier southern end of the road. This is an older house that has and we suspect continues to undergo remodeling and updating. The state of those upgrades and refurbishment varies depending on where you are in the complex. The complex is generally well kept with the buildings and some fencing forming the exterior with attractive landscaped courtyards in the interior. Those courtyards include a number of seating areas, barbeques, a small pool and spa. The central building has the lobby and bistro ( breakfast) with others containing the laundry, beach equipment, ice and vending. It has a small, but wonderful top deck for watching sunsets! Kudos to the staff- lobby, bistro and housekeeping- all excellent. Everyone was warm, friendly, helpful and efficient. Our room was a second floor junior suite that included a full kitchen, large main room and medium sized bath. There is no elevator so be prepared to schlep your luggage. The room was painted in tropical colors with a tropical motif for the furniture suite, table lamps and art. All very nice, but the use of modern brushed chrome LED ceiling lights was typical of the mixed bag of remodeling done throughout the complex. The kitchen was complete with cooking and serving implements. The king bed and linens were very good. The room had a small AC unit and a medium flatscreen TV with lots of channels- internet was complementary with many outlets available for devices. There was a small lanai with a table and two chairs- screen door needs replacing. The bathroom had some attractive stone and tile finishes ( and the same brushed chrome LED ceiling lights) with very good towels and toiletries. The shower was a small unit with the quirk that it did not have a shelf- therefore shampoo, soaps, etc have to sit on the floor. The sink drain stopper was broken. Breakfast was the usual Choice Hotel expanded continental breakfast- waffles, eggs. meat, pastries, yogurt, juice, coffees etc. Good enough, but it is identical every day and is effectively the same one served at other far less expensive hotels in the chain. While we recognize the reality of high season, the tariff for Kohea Kai is substantial, but for only a good enough house not directly on the beach, it is only an average value at best. We enjoyed our stay and we thought the staff was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AnacoTraveler
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, we felt the hospitality of the amazing Aloha spirit here. So easy to relax and refresh in the private gardens full of lovely fragrance & birdsong. A delicious full breakfast each day in the garden, quiet setting, comfortable beds, oceanview rooftop deck & location across from beach added to our 5 star experience. We particularly appreciated the extra assistance & caring welcome from Dee, Jase & Lorie. Thank you all for a memorable vacation experience!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple