“A delicious vacation suprise”

Acevedo's Hawaicano
Ranked #9 of 166 Restaurants in Kahului
Reviewed 10 June 2017

We were desperately searching our phones for somewhere to eat in Kahului and we really lucked out choosing this place. It was DELICIOUS and everyone loved their meal - the chicken tacos were excellent but I was jealous of my husband's pork chile verde. My son ate off the Hawaiian menu - fish platter - and loved it. It's small and you know the family really puts their heart in to the food. It's off the main drag but well worth finding.

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

This is one of those "hole in the wall" places that are so much fun to discover.
What a combination, Mexican and Hawaiian cuisine. My wife had Carna Asada while it was a little spicy for her, she enjoyed it and she loved the beans. I had the Shrimp lunch plate, it was excellent. Friendly staff, I think every person working there asked us how our meal was. there are several tables inside and two picnic tables outside, so the don't have a lot of seating.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Last Monday, we uncharacteristically arrived early for flight home to San Francisco and found this highly rated mom and pop restaurant on the internet -- and could not have been more delighted with our experience. Here is the premise: the Mexican husband and the Hawaiian wife have created their favorite home-style island and mexican dishes, and sometimes bring these cuisines together. Cheap, delicious and higher rated than any other lunch places around the airport. The pork verde was one of the best things we ate on the island -- including some meals as very famous and pricey restaurants.

This cafe is located in a commercial section of the town and is NOT fancy in any way. However, the love of this couple for their traditional cuisines, customers, and family (see lots of family photos on the wall) will put a smile on your face. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We had Hawaiian style and not Mexican, very good. My wife had the Fish Sandwich and I had the Loco Moco and both of us say, one of the best we ever had. Fresh fish and hand pattied burgers, both well made. Loved the flavor of both as we shared what we each ordered. If you blink, even with GPS, you will miss it. Well hidden, but noticed a lot of locals coming there to either eat there or take out. I am glad we made it. Plus in the same building around the corner is Uncle Louie Sausage Company. A must to check out if you like hotdogs and other sausages. Hole-in-the wall, both places, but do not miss stopping at either.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

Maui has a wide variety of restaurants that can satisfy any taste you're craving for. The only type of food I couldn't find on Maui was authentic Mexican. Now my search for authentic Mexican food is over after finding Acevedo's Hawaicano! First, Acevedo's is a super small restaurant with three tables on the inside and a few tables outside. Maybe you can sit 10-15 people inside the restaurant. Second, the restaurant is family run and owned and it feels like you're visiting family when you visit Acevedo's. The service is friendly and down home. Third, the food is outstanding and could easily rival many high end restaurants. We had jalapeño shrimp, a chicken burrito, and crispy pork carnitas. All three dishes had excellent flavor, depth of flavor, and balance. Your tastebuds will send you a Christmas present for giving them Acevedo's.

Acevedo's is 10 minutes from the airport and where cruise ships dock. You can walk from the cruise ship dock to Acevedo's. If you're craving outstanding Mexican food, head to Acevedo's. For the record, this is not Tex Mex, but straight up Mexican food.