“Hawaiian plate=Luau without Hula dancers”
Review of Poi by the Pound

Poi by the Pound
Ranked #15 of 166 Restaurants in Kahului
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

If you want a taste of Hawaii order the Hawaiian Plate for a typical Hawaiian luau meal. Generous portions and easily a share for two. Service was fast and friendly. Mahalo Lei. A "locals place" in the best sense of the phrase.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

We stopped by on our way to the airport. There was no wait, we were greeted promptly and our server was professional and sweet. We had a Moco Loco and an order of Kim Chee Fried Rice. Both were delicious and the portion generous. Mahalo!

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Other than going to a luau, my favorite place on Maui, to get local food. Located in kahalui, not far from the airport on Hana Hiway

Reviewed 1 January 2018

We were on our way to the airport on our last day, and decided to have dinner at this place because of raving reviews on Yelp. Firstly, we had to wait quite a while to be seated. It was packed at dinnertime, and people kept pouring in. it was annoying to have to wait that long (around 30-40 minutes), but eventually we got a table for six. It was another 20 minute wait for food, which was a little aggravating, but our server Leni was so nice and friendly, all smiles while she served us.

The food was so good! We ordered a few items to share, and it was really good. Garlic shrimp was fantastic, and the lau lau pork was amazing. Incredibly soft meat, and just a mix of flavors bursting in your mouth. The Hawaiian plate was the best - you get to sample everything, from some delicious rice noodles to lau lau pork, to shredded pork, to a little bowl of poi. Great for sampling local Hawaiian food and also sharing amongst family.

While the wait for the food was long, when we actually tasted the food, we were super satisfied. We shared 3 dishes amongst the 6 of us, and we were stuffed! Leni, our server, even went to get us hot water (my mom and I were sick) upon our request, even though the restaurant was super busy.

Definitely recommend trying the food here, but I suggest coming earlier so you don't have to wait as long for a seat!

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

Went here for lunch on recommendation from a friend...great recommendation! Good food, friendly staff, fast service! Arrived for a late lunch and was seated very quickly; not too many people at the time. However, within 30 minutes, the place was almost packed! But having eaten almost half of my lunch, I knew why... the food tasted great! I had the beef luau, one of my friends had the mahi plate and the other had the house special deep fried lau lau - we all finished everything that was on our plates! It was a very quiet lunch as there was minimal conversation between us. After finishing, all we could do was lean back in our chairs... the "attack" was setting in!
Highly recommend trying this place for Hawaiian food - you will find something you want to eat and something you will want to come back to try! To me, that's a good sign.