“Very disappointing”

Maui Downhill Bike Ride
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Kahului
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We invented Downhill guided biking in 1982. Unlock the rush of gliding down Mount Haleakala Volcano from 6500 feet after seeing the famous Haleakala sunrise at 10,023 feet from the edge of Haleakala's 3,000 foot deep Volcanic crater. See the night stars right next to the World Famous Star Observatories before your biking adventure evens starts. Choose from over 10 different Guided Bike Tours. Ride with us, we invented Downhill.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking
San Diego, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was told by the Maui Downhill company that there is always a spectacular sunrise because Haleakula visitors center is above the clouds. Wrong. We were told to be at the basecamp by 3:30am to see the sunrise at 6:40. That was a complete waste of good sleep. All that needed to be taken care of could have been done in a few minutes and we could have met them at the top at 6:30 and accomplished all. The basecamp had really bad coffee and stale muffins. Definite room for improvement there. The top was socked in and raining so we saw the gray fog get lighter gray and got really cold and wet. Ugh. I don't think this is a rare occasion because I saw the Haleakula visibility calendar for the week and several days said 0 visibility. Probably difficult to predict a head of time as well. If i had to do the sunrise part again, I might call the weather station and try to find out what was going on in the morning before I left. I would not go with a bike company, but on my own so I could sleep a little longer. The bike ride downhill was nice and I would do that again - but at a later and warmer time of day. Not included in the price of the bike ride was the stop off at an expensive market for a not exciting breakfast - sort of an upscale 7eleven store. There are so many incredible restaurants in the area that I wouldn't do that again either. I liked the attention to safety that Maui Downhill offfers. I enjoyed the guides we had at Maui Downhill and I know it's not their fault that there was no sunrise. Just angry that the scheduler didn't say that 0 visibility was an option. She also told me we would get back to basecamp at 2pm and we got back at 10am. Not organized there! Not worth the money to do the sunrise tour! Really need some sleep.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Isabell2012
MDHReservations, Manager at Maui Downhill, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
We regret that you were mislead, but after locating your reservation, we discovered that you booked your trip through a third party re-seller that is not affiliated with Maui Downhill. We try very hard to be sure that resellers have accurate information, but the person who sold you this excursion was new and, unfortunately seems to have misrepresented some things. We do offer a daytime tour for those who want more sleep.

Fletcher, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Poor customer service! Not an honest business operation! Do not book with them!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The manager and owner are not honest individuals. Their customer service is extremely poor! I had a legitimate billing issue and they dismissed my complaint and concern. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I would not recommend using this company. Furthermore, there are too many other honest reputable touring companies in Maui that a consumer can choose from.

Visited January 2012
5 Thank Aaron L
MDHReservations, Manager at Maui Downhill, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
The guest was arriving by ship and he gave us the wrong port for his pickup. We waited for 15 minutes, at the port. He was a no show. We left to continue the tour. He called 30 minute later and he was at another port, 30 miles away. We are not dishonest and have great costumer service.
Mahalo
Maui Downhill
Sanford, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent adult family adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We took the day trip that toured the national park as well as the bike tour. The scenery was breathtaking. Our driver, David and bike leader, Alex, were knowledgable of the area, shared a lot of history of the Island and were very fun & friendly. They were very accomodating in frequent picture stops and their patience with less than stellar bike riders was great. We are in our 50's and took our 3 adult children and their spouses and it was a family memory that will last a lifetime! I would recommend this company's ride to anyone!

Chula Vista, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fun experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Mark was our driver and for the life of me I cannot remember the guides name. They were both good. Mark was a hoot and kept you on your toes the whole time. Recommend layering clothes even more than you think you need. It gets extremely cold at the top of the volcano at 6 in the morning. The sunrise is something that words cannot describe. The downhill biking is really fun and the views are breathtaking. These guys know what they are doing (safety-wise and tour-wise). This is something that should be experienced by all able bodied visitors to Maui for the first time, and these guys do a good job making sure you enjoy the experience.

Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Low impact and physical exertion, high on local knowledge and passion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is a must do for anyone wishing to enjoy a day of local knowledge, great sights and good humour, coupled with a little bike riding. For those who are hesitant about riding down a volcano on a bike, change your mind. This is a fabulous experience with little danger as expert guides such as RC and Nick make sure safety is paramount along with a very large dose of humour and fun. From the moment RC picked us up at our hotel until the moment he dropped us off, we felt we were a part of the "team"
We will do this again only next time we are bringing the rest of the family. The value is incredible. Thank you!!

1 Thank Dan M