“Simply the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Pop's and Owen did a fantastic job in taking care of us on this adventure. It truly can be said that those that really love their work, will bring that forth and share it with those around them. I would ride with these guys anytime. They were all about fun, they were all about adventure, and they took great care in ensuring our safety without compromising the excitment. Anyone taking this tour, will not be disappointed!

• Korean first
Williamsburg, Va
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Great fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

According to our guise Travis, Mountain Riders is the only company that takes customers all the way to the beach after biking down Haleakala. They were very courteous and professional and everyone had a great time on this trip. It started with an early morning pick-up from the condo, but wanting to see the sunrise, that's expected. We stopped by their office location for a quick cup of coffee and muffin as we waited for the other group to join us. The van took us to the top of Haleakala, we watched the sunrise, then headed down to just outside the National park boundary. The gear they provided was warm enough and overall the trip was fun.

Portland, Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sunrise Bike Ride - Fun, But Didn't Deliver On Promises”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I took the Sunrise Bike Ride - you are taken up to the summit of Haleakala to watch the sunrise, the go back down to approx 6500 feet & bike down the mountain. While the experience was once-in-a-lifetime & I am very glad I did it, the company didn't exactly deliver on it's promises. The reason I chose this company was because they said the "ride the full way down to the ocean" But we didn't. We stopped in the town of Paia, less than 1/2 mile past where we saw a competing company stop. In addition, I didn't think the bikes seemed that well maintained. Many had rust on them & the first one I was given was very wobbly & the brakes did not fully stop the bke, even when I squeezed the all the way. The second bike had a weird clunking sound. Another person on the tour also switched out his bike.
Our driver was great, but the guide was very hyper & didn't really listen to people's questions or comments. Also, we were told that we'd be going 18-25 miles per hour, but we were later told we reached speeds of 40 mph. With all the switchbacks, etc., this speed would not be ideal for someone who is not a regular bike rider.
Also, they didn't really give much in the way of information about the area, geography, etc. When I was watching the sunrise, there was a group next to me with another company & their guide was giving them a ton of interesting info.
There was only one stop made for pictures, just a couple of miles from the beginning of the ride.
I am giving this 3 stars due to these issues, although the experience of seeing the sunrise at 10,000 feet up & riding down a mountain really was incredible.

Hernando, MS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best choice in biking down Haleakala!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

This company was by far the choice for my husband and I. The excursion was broken down into small groups, from what I hear no more than 12-15...ours was only 8 including the both of us. Travis, the guide, was very informative and easy going. The van driver was very courteous, and always obliged the picture requests. I would not recommend renting a bike and going it alone if it is your first time down Haleakala...it could be dangerous even if you are experienced. Mountain Riders is the ONLY company that starts at the top and goes 26 miles all the way down to the hippy town of Paia. Heed their advice, and dress warm...warmer than you think you would need to in Hawaii. At high altitude and early in the morning it can be quite cold. The van that follows through the duration of the ride allows you to shed clothing as time passes and the temperature rises. There are many other companies to go with, but no other has such small groups and goes all the way down. A must do on Maui!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Stacy K
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Do Not Use this company”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

The bikes were old and not safe. The guides only wanted to get done to get their tip and drop us off. The breakfast was cold coffee and stale breads - yuck!. The Fabio guide needs to grow up and get a real job. I felt like we were on a race and could not enjoy any of the views. They had no concern for their customers, dirty gloves, smelly jackets that have never been washed. Stay far away from this company and save your money and your life!!!!!!!

Visited September 2011