“THIS IS NOT A 4SEASONS...it's "managed" by them.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele

Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Chicago
“THIS IS NOT A 4SEASONS...it's "managed" by them.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

THIS IS NOT A FOUR SEASONS RESORT!!!! It's a Castle and Cook resort with a 4seasons mgmt contract. That means when your trip goes to hell everyone says its not our fault, castle and cook owns this not us! We went to dinner in town and called to confirm the last shuttle back to the resort which appears to be run by the 4seasons. ThR first call was at 10pm and the girl Rochelle at the front desk confirmed there was a 1045 and and 11:15. But when the restaurant tells us we will be walking home, we call again. Rochelle answers hello 4seasons...Yes sir, you must have missed the 10:45 but just wait. There is one at 11:15. Then the manager calls Castle and Cook who actually OWNS the resort and they tell us the last shuttle is a 10 and we have to walk home after our nice dinner. My fiancé wasn't wearing that comfortable of shoes and it's a solid 30 to 45 minute walk. So I call back. Yes sir the shuttle just left....but the restaurant says there are no more shuttles...Rochelle insists there are. I'm told by the locals the 4seadons staff has no idea what's going on because its really do different companies and they don't talk.

Then someone from the restaurant has us leave thru the kitchen when no shuttle service ever showed up as we were the only people there waiting for the 4 seasons. Of course I called again and Rochelle insisted there were shuttles. We caught a ride home with a stranger after the restaurant after he called castle and cook and they confirmed the shuttles had stopped an hour earlier. Then I get back to the front desk and start complaining where I'm told I'm wrong. The shuttles stopped at 10pm and I'm mistaken. So I call the 4seasons on my speaker phone in front of the front desk staff and the manager I asked for. Once again Rochelle said the 11:15 shuttle should be pulling up any minute!!!! I turned to the manager and said see! She still thinks its all ok and the 4seasons believes its guests are being taken care of.

I'm then told by the "manager" that he is not the manager but night security (Andy Evans)and I must go to room immediately! But Andy you just heard your own employee say that i will be picked up any minute and you implied you were the manager and wanted to hear the problem. No sir I'm an security and im telling you to go to your room because your making a scene.

Damn right I'm making a scene. We had to ride with a stranger to avoid a 45 minutes walk home and everyone is telling me I made the mistake when we just heard the girl say "hello 4seasons, how can I help you"

Wow! This is not the 4season's I stayed at in Istanbul or Hong Kong or Koh Somai. And it makes sense. It's a castle and cook resort with 4seasons marketing and there is HUGE difference. If you are used to the 4seasons and their level of service be prepared. And if you have a problem, you to can mail in the envelope like I was given. 4seasons rules but this like some weird shady spinoff where they don't own it but pretend to and manage it instead? I say hit another high end chain if thinking of Hawaii.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank JamesHunt1976
LodgeatKoele, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Aloha JamesHunt1976,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am truly sorry to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations for the property or brand. We pride ourselves on our flawless service and I can understand your frustration regarding the specific areas mentioned. Your feedback is very important and I have shared your comments with our Executive Team and Front Office staff so that we may address and enhance our overall service and communications with guests regarding the Island Shuttle schedule that runs between the two resorts and town. Again, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced while on island.

We hope you stay with us again, so that we may regain your trust in the brand. Should you with to discuss your concerns further, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We hope the resort will remain as peaceful, quiet and relaxing in the future. This is the place to stay if you want to skip the typical Hawaiian resort pool crowd, etc. Staff members were wonderful and the facilities couldn't have been nicer. We spent the first five nights of our vacation on Maui and had a great time but the last three days at The Lodge at Koele capped off our vacation. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rebecca E
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We spent 9 nights at the Lodge in August 2011 and it was one of the best resorts I've stayed so far. I must mention that the hotel was not fully booked. I am extremely demanding when it comes to service, decor and travel in general. Even if I wanted to find something negative about the resort I would fail. The staff was excellent, in few days of our stay most of staff referred to us by the last name including the swimming pool staff. The room was very cozy and comfortable. Each evening they had nightly entertainment. I loved the piano - Louis Armstrong songs and the fire place in the Great Hall room were perfect. Try to explore the Island. It might not seem to be welcoming at first but give it a day or two and I am sure you will fall in love with Lanai and it's unique atmosphere. I loved Garden of Gods which I reached by the bike alone. Don't recommend you to repeat the act. It took me 3.5 hours of riding the bike off road. Also there are no people around so might get slightly uncomfortable. I didn’t see anyone during my trip. The forest you have to pass on the way to the Garden of Gods is rather surreal too so get a partner for this trip! You can also take a ferry to Maui. I believe it was $120 per two people both ways. If you make it to Maui take the helicopter tour which takes you to Molokai - unforgettable experience. Make sure to explore the back gardens of the Lodge - the trees are unique and tranquility is impressive. Go for a walk at the evening and enjoy the small outdoor fire. The weather was perfect in August but it also suppose to be the warmest month. Even though I was happy to have a light jacket in the mornings. There is also a bus shuttle that runs on schedule to the sister resort on the beach. If I was to choose between the Lodge and the beach Four Seasons property I would definitely stay again at the Lodge if the purpose of my trip was to relax and spoil myself a bit. Also if you are trying to get away from someone’s kids on vacation - this is the place. During our stay we did not see a single kid at the Lodge!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Lodge (Jan 25 - 27) and loved it. We spent 3 nights in Honolulu, then the 3 nights on Lanai, then 4 nights in Maui and we both agreed the time in Lanai was the best part of our trip. It is elegant, serene, friendly, and I feel that Lanai is more "authentically Hawaiian" than the other islands that are now much more commercialized.

When we arrived on Lanai, at first we were disappointed because on the ride from the Airport to the Lodge, the land is dry and arid and really not very pretty. I read where they get 4 inches of rain per year in the low lying areas. However, as you go up the hill to the Lodge, it starts getting "greener". The Lodge has beautiful grounds that allows for nice walks. Each day, we took the shuttle to Manelle Bay for the beautiful beach and pool there. One of the most beautiful beach settings I have seen. The beach here is listed as one of the top in Hawaii. There was great snorkeling there and all the beach chairs, pool chairs and snorkeling equipment are complimentary. There were probably 75 people there at the beach and at the pool - that's it- so you felt like you had the place to yourself. At first we thought perhaps we should have stayed at Manelle Bay, but ended up thinking we liked staying at the Lodge best. The only thing I did wrong was not stay longer. I was originally going to stay 6 days but some reservation agent told me there was nothing to do in Lanai so I would get bored, so I changed it to 3. (At that Lodge, they had a deal where you pay for 2 nights and get 3rd night free.) However, if you like a great beach, pool, beautiful surroundings, and to be pampered, you won't be bored.

We did not eat at either resort. I had read that the food was very expensive and not that great. So we ate dinner twice at the Lanai City Grill and it was excellent (but also not cheap) and one night at Pele's which was very good. We had breakfast at Blue Ginger in Lanai City which was okay but at least not expensive.

I would recommend this place because accommodations like this on another island in Hawaii would cost 3 times as much. When we moved to Maui, we were disappointed and wished we were back on Lanai. Maui is now very crowded and built up, plus our accomodations there were not nearly as nice as at the Lodge. We will definitely go back and stay longer.

If you are there on a Saturday, the locals gather in front of the Lanai Hotel where they sell their produce and different foods that they have prepared. It is a great place to get an authentically Hawaiian meal at a cheap price, plus it is fun to talk with the locals.

As far as I am concerned, the Lodge is the best value in Hawaii.

Room Tip: We got the cheapest room and it was very nice. I don't like brown and beige and our room was bl...