Message from TripAdvisor:

“Unit 103-A was amazing. We will definitely be coming back!”

Poipu Shores Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Poipu
Sacramento, California
“Unit 103-A was amazing. We will definitely be coming back!”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The owners John and Janis were wonderful to work with. Very laid back - just like Kauai! It was so wonderful - everything you need is there. Beach towels, beach chairs, boogie boards, snorkels and fins, a full size washer and dryer, beautiful modern kitchen and the beds were so comfortable! The living/dining area was much larger than a typical 2/2 beach condo. Nice and roomy. We just got back from our stay two days ago and are already trying to decide when we can go back. It was that good. You can sit on the lanai of this ground floor unit and watch whales! Very easy short walk to the beach. Loved the very nice clean gas grills. They are shared between several units but that didn't seem to be an issue for us. We cooked in every night but one! We had our 11 year old son with us and he REALLY did not want to come home. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Kaye B
Oceanfrontcondos, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Mahalo for taking time to write a review of your recent stay here at the resort. Your critique allows us to try to make every guests stay and enjoyable one and to address any issues that we are unaware of. We hope you get the opportunity to return to our property in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Louisiana
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My family just returned from a 5 day stay in the penthouse condo 406A at Poipu Shores. The 3 bedroom (one was used as an office and has a trundle bed), 3 bath condo is nothing short of stunning with the decor and incredible amenities. It is obviously meticulously maintained and the owners spared no expense with this jewel of a condo. The long balcony (furnished with chairs, tables and two chaise lounges) extends from the living room to the master bedroom and fronts the beautiful rocky oceanfront. The condo is equipped with anything you can think of including beach chairs and extra hats. Each of the bedrooms has its own air conditioning and ceiling fans as well. There are also ceiling fans in the living room and kitchen. The pool is beautiful and the setting is absolutely amazing against the backdrop of the rocky oceanfront.

Room Tip: Book your room thru the owner and be sure to inquire as to when the unit was last updated.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank berkleybug
Oceanfrontcondos, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Mahalo for staying with us at Poipus Shores thru Castle Resorts. I'm pleased you enjoyed our Penthouse as it has the best view in all of Poipu. I hope you get the opportunity to visit us again so we can share paradise with you
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 2 November 2011

For a change of pace I looked for a different property when I went to Kauai on business the last time (Jan. thru March of 2011). That being said a co-worker and I rented the penthouse at this resort. The fun was just starting prior to checkin ... I called and tried to reserve the room and have them split the deposit between my and my co-worker's credit cards (because the deposit was $1,500). The desk person quickly let me know that this was not possible. After all, I was told, this was kauai and not the main land. They weren't set up to do fancy things like splitting a down payment. I should have seen the red flag from a mile away. Check in was an ordeal and every two weeks when we got our bills (while they finally had a person on the island of Oahu show them how to split a bill) it was still an item by item nightmare.

The property is very small and the borders cramped. The buildings were constructed in the 70's and you know it when you are walking around. There is no preassigned parking in the lot and, while this might not seem like a big deal to some, when you are on a property for two months at a time, you like to know where you are going to be parking. The elevator was down for a little over a week, which meant hauling groceries, etc. up three flights of stairs after a long day at work (not something that particularly was pleasing to us). The location (while on the oceanfront) is accessed by a hidden driveway that can be a little hazardous when turnung in and out.

The penthouse that we stayed in was nice. It was nicely furnished and had a huge widescreen TV. The master bedroom was also nicely furnished. The master bathroom was one of the unit's saving graces (except that the whirlpool tub didn't whirlpool the entire two months that I was there ... there was a note saying not to use it). That, like quite a few other things on the property that didn't work, was an example of the 'this is Kauai and not the mainland' attitude. Okay, yeah, that is Kauai and not the mainland, BUT just down the road for example is a property that has a completely different attitude ... the Poipu Kapili, an exceptional place. Feel free to read my review on that property too.

All in all, the Poipu Shores is pretty average, certainly nothing spectacular. Granted, I was on business there and so I was only so disappointed. But, if I had spent my hard earned money to go all the way to Kauai on vacation and wound up in a place like that ... after about two nights I would have been in a different property (again, read my review on the Poipu Kapaili, a place that I will ALWAYS stay at from now on). Gee, I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot there though because now everybody will know to go to the Kapili instead of this so-so resort. So, scratch that, the Poipu Shores is SPECTACULAR! Just kidding. Please, you can do better than just "average" on an already expensive great vacation can't you ... shouldn't you?

Room Tip: Stay at a different resort
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
10 Thank robert c
Mahalo for your comments on your stay early last year. We appreciate your views and use them in a positive way to assist us in doing a better job. We were unaware of some of the mechanical difficulties you encountered but all have been rectified. Our location, fifty feet from the ocean means salt intrusion is an ongoing issue such as the few days our elevator was malfunctioining but we strive not to inconvience our guests whenever possible.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed there in July 2011 for our honeymoon. We had a one bedroom suite on the main floor with our patio right over the ocean where we could see sea turtles swimming around. The location is perfect, short walk to the beach and close to resteraunts. The best part was hearing the ocean throughout the night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kellyalec
Aloha and Mahalo for your review of our property. We hope you consider us for for future aniversaries and return here to paradise. We are glad we could make your special occasion that much more enjoyable.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My Husband I recently stayed that the Poipu Shores Resort.. Sept. 12 thru Sept. 19. We stayed in a 2bdrm 2.5 bath. condo. It had the most amazing view of the Ocean.. we went to sleep every night hearing the sound of the waves crashing on to the rocks.. The views were breath taking.. You could see sea turtles from our balcony.. We had a late check in and every thing was ready for us just like they had said.. the staff was amazing.... Everyone there was so kind and nice.. the check in was easy.. the Lady at the desk was very very nice.. the pool was beautiful.. it was right near the ocean and you could see the splashing waves from the pool side.. there was a wonderful walkway that lead to the beach.. we walked thru there almost every night to see the sunset. which were amazing. I have the most beautiful pictures of this.. The condo was roomy and very well decorated.. Poipu is a very beautiful area.. dont miss the spouting horn and shopping in poipu.. I have the most wonderful time.. Ive been to Kauai 3 times now and have stayed in different areas.. this was by far.. my favorite.. thank you Poipu Shores for making my vacation fantastic.. I will stay there again.. and what was so nice there was a book on the coffee table.. sort of a journal of people that have stayed there tell of their experiences and places to go and see.. where to eat.. where the best snorkeling is.. was very informative.. I loved the stories. Thank you again.. for the most wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blueangel_0672002
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate your comments and we will strive to make any future visits as enjoyable as your first. Our oceanfront rooms do provide a spectaclular view and a true feeling of ocean front living. Again, thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,244 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Poipu Shores Resort? Share your experiences!