2,397 results
All reviewsred saltnespresso machinesmall hotelour honeymoonpool barocean frontcontinental buffetpoipu beachsushi chefbreakfast packagemega resortsmacadamia nutsvalet guysturn down serviceeggs benedictrain showerpartial ocean view
Reviewed 5 April 2018

The resort itself is quiet and in a lovely location, but the overall feel of the place was not friendly or as luxurious as one would expect from the price of the rooms. It was a nice stay, but for the money, I would go elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: be sure to ask if the room is a handicapped room. I was given one without being informed despite being a non-handicapped individual and the room is not well set up for a non-handicapped person. The closet rack is so low the clothes hang on the ground, the tub is non functional and the shower head is too low for an average height person. Also, the lanai is directly next to the pool bar so not relaxing or private. Ask for a room that has a private balcony or lanai and is non- handicapped.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ExperienceDirector, Manager at Koa Kea Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Aloha @ChristineF0206,

Thank you for taking the time to send through your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We pride ourselves on our hospitality and team being the utmost in friendly and helpful and will be sure to pass along this feedback to our General Manager. We hope to have the opportunity to earn back your trust, as I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Mahalo,
Jamie

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We returned to Ko'a Kea and the place is as good as the first time, even with some rain during our stay the staff goes above and behind to make your stay enjoyable. Best place to be in Kauai and looking forward to our visit next year.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Rooms
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had the true pleasure of staying at Koa Kea for four blissful nights! I cannot say enough amazing things in this review to truly capture how special this place is. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Bree in the lobby who took great care in checking us in and making us feel incredibly welcomed. She provided us with a schedule of the yoga classes and weather forecast for the week. She then walked us over to our room, helping us get acquainted with the property along the way. She was so thoughtful and genuinely sincere.

Our room was absolutely lovely. It was perhaps the most clean hotel room I have ever stayed in and the decor was beautiful. We stayed in a garden room, #133 on the first floor, and did not opt to upgrade as we do not spend a lot of time in our room when on vacation. Nevertheless, it was a spacious, well appointed room with an incredibly comfortable bed, soft sheets, and a wonderful bathroom. The toiletries were top notch. Bathrobes and flip flops and an umbrella are located in the closet. An espresso machine, mini fridge and large flat screen tv were standard features as well. We purchased one of the packages, which ended up being great! Our package included a welcome bottle of wine, daily breakfast in the Red Salt restaurant and the chef’s tasting menu dinner for two at Red Salt. Book through the hotel website for packages unavailable on other sites!

There is a perfect cove/ small beach area right in front of the hotel. We snorkeled there and saw tons of gorgeous fish even in just 5 feet of water. You can take surfing lessons, and rent snorkel and surfing gear right in the property. There’s a great surfing spot right in front of the hotel too.

Every night, housekeeping would provide turn down service. This was such a nice touch to return to the room to find chocolates, bottled water, and soft music playing on the tv. It’s those little touches that make this property so special.

Housekeeping did an exceptional job cleaning our room each day. Toiletries were promptly replaced, personal items we left out on the sink were carefully straightened up and organized, and fresh towels were provided daily.

My husband and I indulged in a couples massage and our massage therapists, Patty and James were amazing! We chose the Hawaiian Lomi Lomi massaged and the quality was one of the best massages I’ve had. The next day I returned for the 80 minute Signature Aloha Aina Ritual with Patty. It was absolutely worth every penny and I highly recommend this treatment! The spa staff were even able to accommodate an early appointment for me as I needed to catch my plane and didn’t want to miss out on this body treatment. This was definitely service going above and beyond.

The Red Salt restaurant on site is as amazing as all the reviews indicate. The service is top notch and the food is simpler outstanding. We had breakfast there every morning and highly recommend the French toast, Portuguese sausage, and tropical ice tea. The chef’s tasting menu for dinner was also scrumptious. It included a split of champagne, with three courses, included with our room package. Pristine is a friendly and courteous server at Red Salt who took excellent care of us! Oh, and you MUST try the Twisted Mojito cocktail....grapefruit vodka, pomegranate, cranberry, club soda and mint leaves!

One of the great things we loved at our stay is the overall relaxing and low key vibe present day and night. The place essentially closes down at 10pm with the fireplaces and hot tub being closed off at 10pm. Most nights the poolside bar closed at 8pm. This encourages guests to settle in to their rooms, and discourages a party like atmosphere. The place is filled with honeymooners, babymooners, couples celebrating anniversaries and couples merely enjoying a relaxing stay away from the daily grind.

If you are remotely considering staying here with children, please don’t. Please. Please. Don’t. Your children won’t be happy because this place in no way caters to children. There is no play area, children’s activities, or kiddie pool. Do the rest of the guests a favor and do your kids a favor and head on over to the Grand Hyatt. While we were there a young couple had their toddler son with them who was screaming and crying most of the time, at the pool, at the pool bar and in the restaurant. I get it...he’s a toddler. I’ve had toddlers. This is no place for toddlers.

Ignore the reviews in which the writer complains about this place. There literally is nothing to common about. I must chalk up those bad reviews to people who are never happy with anything and like to complain. Or they are so high brow they should be at the St. Regis spending $4,000 a night on a suite. Book your stay here and be ready to be delighted!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PhxMermaid
Reviewed 28 March 2018

This is a little late BUT worth mentioning. Koa Kea is THE BEST.
Walking distance to the World famous Poipu Beach and many other beaches, eateries and play areas. For FULL disclosure I will say that my wife and I booked our stay DIRECTLY with KOA KEA. We do this with all of our plans (flights, hotels, rental cars, etc) When we arrived a little after check in time, we were told our room was not ready. This was to be an average room, no frills. Since we were on vacation we didn't really care and asked where the bar was. They promptly "walked us" to the bar "personally". They said they would come get us when our room was ready. It did take a little bit of time BUT they did come get us a little over an hour later. Our drinks were on the house (which we didn't know at the time until we went to pay for them and they said "no charge") a HUGE THANK YOU to KOA KEA. They then showed us to our room that THEY upgraded us to for free. Centrally located top floor with a GORGEOUS OCEAN VIEW directly in front of our room. We were asked if we had dinner plans, we did not being that we just came in and were pretty tired but I persuaded my wife to at least try the restaurant (Red Salt). So they made reservations for us for that evening. We had the Prime Rib, it was great. We had appetizers, several drinks, dessert, coffee, the whole deal. We then went to our room and were amazed, then passed out from the long east coast journey. We played tourist for several days that we were there (8), enjoying the pool, hot tub, etc. ALL the staff were top notch. When we went to check out we reviewed the bill since we just put everything to the room. To our surprise we noticed that our first whole night stay was missing from the bill INCLUDING bar drinks, meals, room charge.
We promptly questioned this at the front desk, they said, since they made us wait for our room and we reserved our room directly through them it was their pleasure to upgrade us and give us dinner.
Koa Kea, you have made NEW vacationers for life. Every time we are going to Kauai, (about once a year) we will definitely be staying at your resort from now on. We will tell ALL of our friends and family to stay there.
And by the way, our room was AWESOME, fresh, clean, updated to where my wife is making me upgrade our bathroom as your is (with the multi- head tile shower, etc). The bed was the BEST, to the point where my wife made sure we received an email about the brand and type of the mattress and pillow top.
I can't say enough about KOA KEA. IT'S THE BEST on Kauai. (And we've stayed at almost all the hotels on the island).

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Fran Z
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay in Kauai at Koa Kea. Our room was a garden view room but was quiet and comfortable. I love the large bathroom shower. The property is very well maintained with a nice view of the ocean and a quick walk to the public part of Poipu Beach. The nightly turn down service with two complimentary bottles of water and macadamia chocolates is sweet. Hotel staff were very helpful. I generally find the resort fee to be an obnoxious tax that jacks up a room price but I actually thought there was some value with it at Koa Kea, particularly with the valet service and the valet staff were so friendly and wonderful. I highly recommend Koa Kea and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple