All reviews continental breakfast fresh fruit the breakfast area reasonable rates industrial area clean rooms pineapple close to the airport nice pool ceiling fan air conditioner quiet location nawiliwili bay laundry facilities lihue airport rental car island
Reviewed 25 August 2018

this hotel is great for an older sytle hotel..we stay for one night, and it could have been longer if our flights out didn't work out.. the staff were exceptionally friendly, nothing was too much trouble :)
perfect place to just hang around the pool!

Room Tip: try for a ground floor room, those stairs are nasty for us with arthritic knees and heavy bags....
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 0212anita
MegKauaiInn, Owner at The Kauai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 23 August 2018

The office staff are very friendly and helpful, who checked me in early and made me feel welcomed. That's where the good ends. Let's start with the bathroom. I don't know if all of the bathrooms are like this, but mine seemed like it was handicap ready, where there's no tub or even a lip that'll separate the shower floor from the rest of the bathroom floor...kind of like a locker room shower. Then there's no counter by the sink to put your bathroom items on, such as your toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.. So after I brushed my teeth, I had to put the tooth paste and brush in the drawer in the bedroom area. Whenever I sat on the toilet it would rock side to side. I wasn't too sure if the toilet seat was loose, or if the entire toilet was loose. To find out, the entire toilet was loose, but thankfully it wasn't leaking at the bottom. The entire right side of the bathroom were 3 sets of louvers covered by sheer white curtains. It wouldn't be too bad if the other side of the louvers wasn't a public area, but it's the walkway for all of the rooms. So someone outside could probably see your sillouette while you're doing your personal business.

Now for the problems in the bedroom. The Samsung tv was nice, but all of the stations are in standard definition. So it's like back to the days of watching VHS tapes versus dvd clarity. The bed had no blanket. There's the usual fitted sheet to cover the mattress, but on that is the top sheet, but instead of a blanket on top of that, there's only a polyester or nylon material sheet which is the thickness of the sheet. I thought that the decorative fabric at the foot of the bed was a bed spread, but no, it was only a decorative piece of material about a foot wide. There's also very few plugs to charge your phone or other devices. By the bed, there's a plug to the left, but a clock and a lamp take up the 2 plugs. To the right of the bed are 2 more outlets, but the refrigerator takes up one of the plugs, and the microwave uses the other. Each outlet has 2 plugs, so there's 2 more plugs available, but I had to put my phone on the microwave while it charged, since the plugs were so far down.

The doors use the regular metal type key instead of the card key like most modern hotels use so that the code can be changed when checking out. So who's to stop anyone from going to Walmart to make a duplicate key for the room. While I was laying in bed around 11 PM, I heard someone jiggling the doorknob and I could hear the key going in and out of the doorknob. The door has a big set of louvers on it, where I could see the person shining a flashlight while they jiggled the doorknob. It probably wasn't someone trying to break in, but just a person mistaking my room for theirs. If it was someone with a duplicated key, then he probably could have got in.

The housekeeping was also poor, but not terrible. It's never happened to me before at all of the other hotels I've been to, but the housekeeper didn't empty my trash can. I had a take out pizza the night before, where I put the empty box in the trash can, which also had an empty 2 liter soda bottle in it. When I returned later in the day, the pizza box was removed, but the soda bottle was still in the trash can.

I was on Kauai for work, so the last day I was there I had to be at work by 6:30 AM, but the office doesn't open until 7 AM and I wouldn't be finish with work by the check out time. So me and another person were at the office at 6:10 AM wondering how we would check out and where would we leave the keys. He mentioned that there must have been others who've needed to check out before 7 AM, so what are we to do? There's a phone number to call for after hours help, so I called that number but no one answered. I had to leave, so I hung my key on a screw that was sticking out on the office door. The other person did the same. I later called the regular office number and told them that I wasn't going to be available by the check out time and I hung the room key on the door. She said that she got the key and she would check me out via my phone call.

Kauai Inn is next to the port where the Pride of America docks, and it's in a quiet neighborhood surrounded by houses. Kauai has chickens all over the place, so you can hear roosters crowing early in the morning, and someone must own a peacock because you can hear it squacking as well.

The daily rate for this hotel is significantly cheaper than the brand name hotels, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
MegKauaiInn, Owner at The Kauai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Thank you so much for your response! We rely so much on feedback to make our inn a better experience for others! Our first concern was why you ended up in our handicap room. If there is ever any question or concern please ask to be moved and accommodated where you feel necessary or lacking! We wish only for the most comfort for our guests!

In response to your review we will look into creating an area in the handicap room where folks can put their personal belongings as they get ready for the day. That's always been a personal pet peeve of mine as well so I fell you.

Blankets, we keep extra blankets in the closet for guest convenience. We have a very ill young relative as of recent who is the sibling of our manager, so she has been away plus new staff so our family business' hearts have been heavy the last couple weeks trying to get through these difficult time and travel. Very trying times and I'm sorry this caused so much inconvenience. So many things your don't ever except. Your input means a lot to us and we only hope you and any future guests could reach out to us so we can better accommodate and make you comfortable while you're away from home! That's our goal! The note on the trash has been pasted on and I agreed unacceptable.

Keys, there's a fee for not returning keys. They CANNOT be duplicated unless by the Kauai Inn management. And if the keys are not returned, the locks are replaced as we are most concerned about out guests safety!

Much Mahalo! Megan

Reviewed 19 August 2018

This hotel is in a good location, about a 2 minute drive from some shops and restaurants and a good jumping off point to explore the whole island. It's only 20 mins from the airport but you don't hear the airplanes. The hotel itself has a nice pool area and offers a simple continental breakfast each morning. It's a buffet style- toast, muffins, cupcakes, fruit, tea, coffee and juice. Our room was clean and tidy but quite dated. This place could do with some money spending on it to bring it up to date.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 438alisonc

Reviewed 8 August 2018

It was disappointing, pictures look better than the actual. Nice place but very old. Positives are it is close to the water, nice pool. I was ocean front and it felt overpriced. Location is very good,

Stayed: June 2018
MegKauaiInn, General Manager at The Kauai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Thanks so much for your review and best to you in future travels! Mahalo!

Reviewed 19 July 2018

We stayed here one night. We booked it because it was nearby the airport and we just needed a place for one night of sleep. Our room was comfortable and clean. I agree with past reviewers that say it is a little bit dated but that also adds to it's charm. The complimentary breakfast consisted of fresh fruit and pastries, which we enjoyed under a patio while it rained. A super fun feature of this hotel is the manager will give little talks about the history and culture of the island. Inside the small lobby there is even a little display of ancient Hawaiian artifacts.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family