This was our first vacation involving plane travel with two small children (ages 2 and 4) -- and it was even better than I had anticipated. We barely left the condo because it had everything we could want -- a sparkling pool just outside our back door (I'd recommend getting a ground floor unit so you can walk in and out of your back door), the beach just steps away -- and in between was a great grassy area which we used for flying kites. Down the path a short walk away is the "baby beach" with a rock enclosure built around it and an elaborate play structure just behind it, as well as large covered areas and bathrooms. Unfortunately, we arrived just after the storms and both the beach and the play structure were closed. (Apparently when it rains a lot, that particular beach gets filled with sticks and it takes a long time for them to flow back out -- also the play structure seems to be downhill from a sewage treatment plant that flooded -- ugh.) But even without the extra benefits of those nearby distractions, we were completely happy with just the beach and the pool.
The condos aren't luxurious, but they are very comfortable -- and when traveling with kids, I'd prefer not to have to worry about damaging the furniture. There are some nice looking tennis courts that we never used, and lots of barbecuing areas scattered around the units as well. The gardens throughout are carefully maintained and just gorgeous. The kitchens seemed to all come with plenty of dishes and pots and pans -- we mostly ate at home and shopped at the nearby Safeway and Costco. (It's easier than keeping the kids entertained at a restaurant each night.)
If I were to do it again (as we plan to do), I might go for one of the ocean-front rooms on the ground floor. You can just sit on your back porch, drinking your beverage of choice, and watch the kids play in the grass -- with the stunning ocean vistas behind them. Our unit was located just behind the pool, so it had great access for that, but you couldn't see the ocean from our porch. Still -- it was very relaxing to sit in the warm sun and read a book. It felt like a true vacation for the first time since we became parents.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kaha Lani Resort features oceanfront condominiums adjacent to Lydgate Beach Park and playground, with a walking path along the coast. Centrally located, the resort offers a variety of one-, two-, and three-bedroom suites, all oceanview or oceanfront. Amenities include a pool, tennis court, barbecues, and a putting green. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Castle Kaha Lani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kaha Lani Hotel Lihue
- Kaha Lani
- Castle Kaha Lani Kauai, HI