“Performance good; Marriott's dinner a disappointment”

Kauai's Best Luau - Hawaii Alive!
Ranked #3 of 5 Concerts & Shows in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hawaii Alive Luau Show is an outstanding show that brings you a unique and authentic Polynesian cultural experience through live traditional chants, music, drumming and dancing from the islands of Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. The show is located within the Marriott's enchanting tropical gardens and includes live music, an interactive host, traditional and modern hula, ancient chants, a chance to learn the hula yourself, Tahitian dancing, and the thrilling Samoan fire knife. We also offer optional private dining prior to the show, which you can enjoy with just your family or guests in the open air at the Kaua'i Marriott's Kukui oceanfront restaurant.
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

The dinner was plated and fairly good, but nothing that I would have ordered off a menu if I knew ahead of time what it would taste like. Dessert was not included. A traditional lei at the performance was also not included. Fifteen years ago I attended a luau at Maui's Marriott. We received a lei and had a great meal. The setting was on the beach. It appears Marriott has become a bit greedy.....no dessert and no lei. I would not recommend their luau. It's unfortunate because the performance was entertaining. On the plus side, the Marriott bar Kukui has amazing cocktails called the coconut basil and lime in the coconut. Very good. When booking a luau, ask if they provide a lei. It just adds to the Kauai experience.

4  Thank TwinCreek
in 8 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 3 February 2017

have been a Marriott owner for approximately 20 years and I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed in a sponsored Marriott event. My family (party of 5) attended the Luau on December 19th. I have been to Luaus before and could not believe the presentation of the dinner, drinks, and overall quality of the Luau. We were told dinner was at 5:30 so we showed up promptly at 5:30. This was only a plated dinner, (no buffet, no open bar for mai tais). The dinner was dry and not very tasty. In addition to a lackluster dinner, there were absolutely no activities, no pictures, no Hawaiian culture, crafts. We completed dinner by 6:30 and there was nothing available for us to do – the show did not start until 8pm. (NOTHING WAS AVAILABLE TO DO) The presentation on this Luau was terrible, I would not recommend it to anyone. We were extremely disappointed in this event. I am not usually a complainer but I have been upset about taking my family to this and it was a total disappointment. I was embarrassed that Marriott would call this a Luau and I was also embarrassed that I took the time out of my valuable vacation to do this event. I have always been a proud Platinum Marriott owner and felt this event was so below the Marriott Standard.

21  Thank peyton0018
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

All I can say is what an Awesome show! All of the dancers were so professional and we loved all the different costume changes. But the Fire dancers were our favorite. Trust me you don't want to miss it... yes it's that good!

6  Thank maryfunner
Reviewed 5 January 2017

I thought I didn't know what a luau was, so I looked it up "Hawaiian party or feast, especially one accompanied by entertainment". I even paid extra for the dinner. The only luau I've been to before (and others I've seen) are on the beach or in a big field, with a feast. This is a concert on the patio at the hotel. I assumed buying dinner meant a feast at 5:30 and the 'show' started at 7:30. I was wrong. Dinner at the hotel restaurant 1/4 a mile away, and you get a fixed menu with no options (a plate of meat and rice - not luau food).

The concert and dancing was good. But I wasn't expecting a concert with some dancing. If you want a traditional luau, this isn't it.

5  Thank John G