“Performance good; Marriott's dinner a disappointment”

Hawaii Alive Luau Show & Dinner
Ranked #3 of 5 Concerts & Shows in Lihue
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hawaii Alive Luau Show is an outstanding show that brings you a unique and authentic Polynesian cultural experience through live traditional chants, music, drumming and dancing from the islands of Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. The show is located within the Marriott's enchanting tropical gardens and includes live music, an interactive host, traditional and modern hula, ancient chants, a chance to learn the hula yourself, Tahitian dancing, and the thrilling Samoan fire knife. We also offer optional private dining prior to the show, which you can enjoy an All You Can Eat Hawaiian Buffet, with just your family or guests in the open air at the Kaua'i Marriott's Kukui oceanfront restaurant.
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

The dinner was plated and fairly good, but nothing that I would have ordered off a menu if I knew ahead of time what it would taste like. Dessert was not included. A traditional lei at the performance was also not included. Fifteen years ago I attended a luau at Maui's Marriott. We received a lei and had a great meal. The setting was on the beach. It appears Marriott has become a bit greedy.....no dessert and no lei. I would not recommend their luau. It's unfortunate because the performance was entertaining. On the plus side, the Marriott bar Kukui has amazing cocktails called the coconut basil and lime in the coconut. Very good. When booking a luau, ask if they provide a lei. It just adds to the Kauai experience.

Date of experience: March 2017
in 19 reviews
"luau"
in 89 reviews

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

We've been to luaus. Lots of luaus. This one stands out. It's at the Marriott Resort on Kauai. The meal was a Hawaiian plate served in the resorts indo or/outdoor poolside restaurant. It features mahi mahi, chicken, Kauai pig, and some great veggies. After, we walked the beach a bit before gathering in an idyllic outdoor theater with about 50 others attendees. While waiting, we were entertained by the show's ukulele player who sang some traditional songs and who took requests. The main event featured an intimate stage with the Marriott's doric columns on either side and a backdrop of palms, plants and torches. The dancers were lovely and talented, performing a range of hulas, from court dances to Tahitian drum dances. The makle dancer performed the most amazing fire dance I've ever seen! For me, the best part was the music. My new friend, Wallis, is a virtuosic guitarist who performed flawlessly and with great skill. He was accompanied by the aforementioned ukulele, an artistic keyboardist, and a fine bass guitar player. They also doubled on traditional drums for some numbers. Wallis' family, he told us, has been involved in the island's culture for decades. He told stories of his mother teaching the hula to hundreds of students, and how his wife and family now continue that effort. Very interesting perspective. As a musician, I was totally entertained by their performance and left wanting more. I can unhesitatingly recommend Hawaii Alive as a Don't Miss event on Kauai. Aloha.

1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 3 February 2017

have been a Marriott owner for approximately 20 years and I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed in a sponsored Marriott event. My family (party of 5) attended the Luau on December 19th. I have been to Luaus before and could not believe the presentation of the dinner, drinks, and overall quality of the Luau. We were told dinner was at 5:30 so we showed up promptly at 5:30. This was only a plated dinner, (no buffet, no open bar for mai tais). The dinner was dry and not very tasty. In addition to a lackluster dinner, there were absolutely no activities, no pictures, no Hawaiian culture, crafts. We completed dinner by 6:30 and there was nothing available for us to do – the show did not start until 8pm. (NOTHING WAS AVAILABLE TO DO) The presentation on this Luau was terrible, I would not recommend it to anyone. We were extremely disappointed in this event. I am not usually a complainer but I have been upset about taking my family to this and it was a total disappointment. I was embarrassed that Marriott would call this a Luau and I was also embarrassed that I took the time out of my valuable vacation to do this event. I have always been a proud Platinum Marriott owner and felt this event was so below the Marriott Standard.

Date of experience: December 2016
21  Thank peyton0018
Reviewed 23 January 2017

We had a wonderful time at Hawaii Alive Luau! The performances were great, and we appreciated the historical commentary. Since we were on a budget, we also appreciated having the option to purchase tickets for the show only, without dinner.