1,870 results
All reviews coconut marketplace ocean front sand bar free dvd rentals parking lot oceanfront room small kitchenette trees lounge overflow parking fridge and microwave third floor general store partial ocean view every morning coffee maker hot tub no elevator
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Room was a bit old. Very close to the beach. As often in Hawaii, giant cockroaches inside the room... at first everything looked a bit cheeky but seemed ok at last. Not the best but overall pretty good.

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank jckv2018
LoriM2616, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you jckv2018 for staying with us at The Aston Islander on the Beach and for taking the time to complete a review. Cockroaches are not often found inside the room as we do have routine pest control, I am so sorry if you did experience an issue in this regards. I hope your travels bring you back to Kauai one day soon and that we can welcome you back for an even better stay with us!

Reviewed 10 October 2018

This place started out as a 3 star but it kind of grew on me over time. Upon arrival, I was a bit disappointed that we ended up with a ground floor room when I requested a quiet 3rd floor unit and had heard other guests being asked if they had a preference. Even though it was an oceanview room, the windows and patio doors were so dirty that you couldn't really see much through them and you can tell it needs a remodel as the doors still say ResortQuest from the days before it switched back to Aston which has been quite some time now and the screens quite old and hard to open at times.

So why the 4 stars? Having the ground floor room meant I could walk out and catch the sunrise as soon as it peaks or be at the beach within a matter of minutes and not have to worry about the stairs since they do not have elevators. Once you do get the doors open, it does have some nice ocean and surf views from the chairs outside and security does patrol the grounds making you feel pretty safe leaving your patio door open during the day.

Overall, this is a no frills hotel that gives you a pretty good value if you do not plan on spending too much time on site but because it is no frills, a $20 daily resort/amenity fee does seem a stretch for essentially lemonade or coffee and dvd rentals and free detergent for their coin operated washer/dryers on site . The sand is on the coarser side and not quite a swimmable beach but nice to hang out first thing in the morning to catch that sunrise or enjoy your cup of coffee.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Aloha Joyce Z,

Thank you for staying with us at The Aston Islander on the Beach and for taking the time to do a review. I am happy to hear we grew on you and that you fully enjoyed our amazing proximity to the ocean! I appreciate the feedback and will look into the issues with the doors and windows.

Our $20 amenity fee includes coffee from the nearby coffee shop or mango lemonade from the pool bar as well as Keurig k-cups and tea in the room. As well as free unlimited DVD rentals and detergent, we have daily newspapers, free wifi and a 2 hour complimentary bike rental.

I hope your travels bring you back to Kauai again soon and you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Loved the location of this hotel! The grounds were great, at first I wasn’t in love with the room conditions but a day passed at it was not that bad. Make sure you turn the air on first thing when you get in that will take a way the musty smell. The bathroom was a little out of date. We had a really nice ocean view room. House keeping was really good and I love the products they leave!! All the hotel staff were more than accommodating in the hotel.

The pools was nice but on the small side and only one pool and hot tub. Both were always super busy I think due to the bar. Could be better if they had a second pool also seeing as the beach is not very swimmable.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
LoriM2616, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Aloha PickyPrincessC--

I am thrilled to hear we passed the pickyprincess test with a 5 star review! Glad you enjoyed the locaton, ocean view room, housekeeping and our more than accommodating staff. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again one day soon and that your memories of Kauai stay with you until then.

Reviewed 29 September 2018

Stayed for 10 days in mid August 2018, was lucky with my timing between Hurricanes Hector & Lane.
Went solo, and have to say it was one of the most enjoyable vacations I've been on.

Started with the check-in, you get greeted with a box of complimentary chocolates, coupons for free coffee during your stay @ a coffee house situated @ the front of the property (great coffee, better than Starbucks in my opinion), discount card for lunch at the Lava Lava Beach Club next door to hotel and last but not least a DVD card to rent 2 movies for free per day (something to keep the kids happy if they come along).

Room was a surprise: nice size TV, great bed, wonderful view of the sunrise coming up over the beach from my lanai, with an added bonus of having a Keurig coffee machine in the room, not that dinky little 2 cup Mr. Coffee nonsense. Had daily housekeeping and the grounds were well maintained and colorful.

Property is in back of Coconut Marketplace (with a great ABC store to pick up incidentals, as well as other retailers), within walking distance to the Lava Lava Beach Club as well as Trees and a few other eating facilities. Pool is somewhat small, but have a poolside bar, plenty of lounge chairs as well as covered cabanas. Actually I'm a beach person myself, and spent most of my time on the lounge chair by the ocean listening to the waves coming in.

Staff is courteous and always attentive to your needs. Hotel is centrally located on the east side of the island near Kapaa, therefore you can get to most of the island within a 30 to 45 minute car ride. Would definitely recommend this location, it's approximately 15 minutes from the Lihue airport .

If you're looking for recommendations of where to eat, they have a book in the lobby with menus from a variety of restaurants around the island, didn't discover this until late in my stay, I would suggest you flip thru and see what's available to tempt your palate.

Wonderful place to go and decompress from your everyday life and enjoy Paradise.
Aloha everyone, enjoy your stay @ Aston Islander on the Beach

Stayed: August 2018
LoriM2616, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Aloha Diamond V!

Thank for you staying with us at The Aston Islander on the Beach and for your 5 STAR REVIEW! Your review is filled with wonderful compliments and helpful information. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us on your solo trip to paradise. Our property is the perfect place to decompress with our ideal location steps from the beach!

Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2018

Nice setup, great location, wonderful gardens inside. We had a room with partial ocean view, spacious, nice balcony, good bed, slightly outdated kitchen and bathroom facilities. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Aloha MiamiKeyWest!

Thank you for staying with us at Aston Islander on the Beach and for taking the time to complete a review. I am so happy to see you enjoyed so many aspects of your visit with us. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again one day soon!
A hui hou!