All reviews yogurt continental breakfast boutique hotel bike path peggy sue banana bread small hotel ocean front jacuzzi tub every morning free bikes paved walking beach chairs and towels palm trees lovely pool rooms were very clean the entire staff
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

To call this a hotel is a joke - it is classified as three stars but deserves only one. The cheerful staff who greeted me are the only reason this place gets even a one in my book.

The "garden views" are of parked cars and trees shedding all over the verandah.

Fixtures are old, rusted and out-dated. The walls are so thin, you can hear everything that goes on in the rooms next door, from the shower flowing to drawers being slammed shut. Speaking of that, do people not know how to use door knobs to respect other peoples' rest?

I was woken up at 11pm one evening by a drunk woman hammering on the incorrect door.

The carpet is threadbare and filthy. A dead mosquito was still squashed against the wall. The rusty bar fridge had an anti-smell deoderiser in it. The bed was supposed to be queen size but was only a double.

Breakfast is a joke: tiny muffins and yoghurt pots. I didn't even bother, even though it was included in the room rate.

Oh, and they take your credit card and place a 300 Dollar hold on it and supposedly release it when you leave. Will be checking my bank statements when I get home.

Avoid this place and rather go to a more expensive chain hotel where you will not get such an unpleasant shock.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank africanswan
Christopher B, Owner at Hotel Coral Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

Aloha and thank you for providing us with your feedback. You stayed with us in one of our City View Economy rooms, and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We wish we were able to accommodate you into one of our Oceanfront rooms, with amazing panoramic views of the Pacific, but we were fully booked during your stay. We did not learn of your dissatisfaction until after your departure. Had we known this earlier, we would have taken the opportunity to assist you with relocating to a property more suitable to your needs.
Mahalo,

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I love this beautiful boutique hotel!!
This has got to be one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. The quality of this hotel for the value far surpassed any place we've stayed at so far. It is literally a few yards from the beach. Our room was beachfront and less than $200 a night($160-170). It was clean and very comfortable. The room rates also include parking, WiFi, little continental breakfast, DVD's, beach chairs, coolers, BBQs, bikes and coffee and tea all day everyday. There's also a beautiful pool with a waterfall and a laundry facility on site. I'm sure I missed a thing or two. The rooms all have fridges and microwaves. (Not all hotels in Hawaii do). The bathrooms are beautiful and we had a Jacuzzi tub in ours. The beds are really comfy as well.
My favorite thing about this hotel is the ambiance. Our hosts Chris and Karen truly care about this hotel and really go above and beyond to make their guests feel like ohana. We really felt like part of their little family. All the employees were also helpful in every aspect.
The icing on the cake was Auntie Peggy Sue, the best banana bread baker EVER!!! Every morning I couldn't wait to get to the lobby to see her happy smile and hear her infectious laugh and eat the world's greatest banana bread!! I loved it so much that when we had to check out she gave me a baggie full!! Can I just say I miss you Auntie??
The Hotel Coral Reef is truly full of aloha spirit.
If someone gave me a choice to stay a week for free at the St. Regis or here, hands down, it would be here!! Nuf said!! Mahalo team Coral Reef!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Renee P

Aloha and thank you for your feedback! We are beyond pleased that you would choose to stay at Hotel Coral Reef as opposed to some of the more luxury options here on Kauai, and that you feel that way because of our amazing staff, our beautiful location, and the many amenities we provide on-site in order to assist our guests with identifying and enjoying some of the truly remarkable activities and excursions available here on Kauai.
Mahalo for your kind words, and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 11 October 2017

The Hotel Coral Reef is perfectly located on Kauai's Coconut Coast. Absolute beachfront with a magnificent sun rise very morning and breakfast among the palm trees. Kapaa is ideally located for visiting the entire island and coming back in the evening to take advantage of the many restaurants and cafes within easy walking distance. The service and facilities are excellent. They are rebuilding the ocean front block in the near future which will only make the place better. Although they only advertise a light breakfast, we found it more than enough and breakfast was great fun, sitting on the balcony overlooking the ocean, meeting fellow travellers from around the world and using the supplied water pistols to scare off the ever-present chickens. We would definitely recommend the Coral Reef to anyone. The reviews here helped us choose this hotel as we were coming all the way from Australia!

Room Tip: Definitely choose an ocean view room. The view is amazing and there is no traffic noise at all.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha G

Aloha, and thank you for traveling all the way from Australia to enjoy tropical Kauai paradise and stay with us here at Hotel Coral Reef! We are happy to know that you enjoyed our central location and beautiful beach and sunrise views on the Oceanfront.
Mahalo!

Reviewed 10 October 2017

My parents and I stayed at the Hotel Coral Reef for 3 nights last month during our visit to Kauai. Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and would not hesitate to return. The views are spectacular and the staff is hands-down the best I've ever encountered.

Pros:

Location and staff (as previously mentioned). The location is perfectly centralized on the island no matter where you want to go, and I genuinely missed the staff when I left.

The "Light Bites" breakfast provides a few nice options including fruit, juice, toast, etc, but the real gem here is "Auntie's" banana bread. "Auntie" is a local who volunteers at the hotel. She greeted us each morning in the hotel lobby for breakfast while her daughter worked at the counter. Her smile and kindness assured that we started each day with a smile on our own faces, and her bread is the best I've had in 29 years of life.

One of the evening front desk clerks, Jen, is also to be commended. She has a wonderful spirit and is so inviting. I was able to talk to her for a few minutes one evening, and it turned out to be the best conversation I had on the whole trip. The personal experiences that guests encounter with people like Jen and Auntie are absolutely the type of things that keep people coming back to a place over and over.

Cons:

We had a few maintenance issues with the room. On the first night, our toilet leaked all over the floor from the bottom seal. The couple that manages the place responded quickly and brought plenty of towels to clean up the water. The toilet didn't have that issue again during our stay. I heard some gurgling in the tub prior to the issue and the neighbor had been running their water for a very long time. I'm assuming it was just too much water exiting the pipes at once.

My dad had horrible allergies in the room. On the last day, we noticed some mildew on the ceiling near the door. I believe that is likely the cause, as he is very sensitive to that.

In addition, the wooden shades on the patio doors need some repair, and the whole room needs a fresh coat of paint sometime soon (the entrance hallway needed it the most).

The tub is incredibly high and has glass sliding doors. At 5'1," my mom really had to be extremely careful getting in and out. When the tubs are eventually replaced, I would definitely choose a different style.

I want to reiterate that I would ABSOLUTELY return to this property in the future. There's A LOT of charm to the place, and you really can't beat the location or the people. I would just like to see a few updates/repairs get made over the next few years. I feel like this property could easily move from #3 in Kapaa to #1 with just a little TLC on the rooms.

Mahalo and God Bless!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Aloha and thank you for your review and valuable feedback. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your specific observations and suggestions. We will take those suggestions into consideration as we embark upon our renovation of the Oceanfront building which will include the construction of a third floor and 6 additional Oceanfront guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back one day to experience our Oceanfront paradise once again in the future.
Mahalo!

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Loved our stay at Coral Reef. The view is amazing. Our room opened right up to the ocean. The entire wall was glass so whether we had the doors open or closed we could see the ocean with the sunrises right outside. Nice big room with everything we could need. Very comfortable bed, refrigerator, microwave. Make sure you get the oceanfront rooms. They have bikes, movies, coolers,and other things that you could check out with no resort fees! It is a perfect location. Could walk to anything in kapa'a and it was about the halfway point around the island. Could easily drive to the north shore as well as Waimea canyon. The pool was nice and peaceful unlike the big resorts that can be crowded. Only 21 rooms here and it's peaceful just like Kauai should be.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Christopher B, Owner at Hotel Coral Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Aloha and thank you for providing us with your feedback and review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Hotel Coral Reef, and took advantage of many of the amenities that we provide to help our guests enjoy the beautiful east side of Kauai! Isn't that ocean view from your room amazing?! So glad you loved our location and had a peaceful and relaxing time here on Kauai!
Mahalo,