Fern Grotto Inn
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
USD 312*
USD 298*
Official Website
USD 397*
  • Pool
Kauai Shores Hotel(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
USD 260*
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsohana housegarden cottagecoco cottagewailua riverthe cottagesfruit treesstar fruitbeach gearfree kayaksthe kitchenboogie boardssecret fallshome away from homeour honeymoonmangowater shoeswasher and dryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in the CoCo Cottage and it was more than incredible. Spacious, comfortable, well decorated, and unique. We are Las Vegas performers and this was exactly what we needed. Much better than a hotel! Centrally located so all parts of the island were accessible and it is only 10-15 min from airport. Made arriving and leaving super easy and convenient! Can't recommend this place enough. Will definitely return!

Willis, Las Vegas

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed in the River cottage at Fern Grotto Inn for a week. Paul was very welcoming and helpful, given we had arrived without a reservation on a Sunday afternoon! The cottage was lovely. Ours had plenty of space, a large kitchen with some cooking essentials, plenty of light, good shower, cosy bed and couch - it was a nice change from expensive and boring hotel rooms.
Fern Grotto is an excellent place to stay for those wishing to access both the north and south of the island. We wished to walk the Canyon walk and the Na Pali coast. We originally thought we would stay in Po'Ipu and Hanalei but this was a great base. Plus there are a few really good eateries in Kapaa. I will definately go there again.

Room Tip: The River Cottage was great.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We spent a long weekend. Spent one night in Garden Cottage and 2 nights in Canal A. They were both nice but Garden was our favorite! Very clean and well stocked. Paul was very helpful. Would highly recommend and hope to visit again. Beautiful setting.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary Ellen V
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We found Fern Grotto Inn by chance, doing a web search for places to stay on Kauai. We were going to paradise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and we weren't interested in a resort, with all of the bells and whistles (not to mention the mass of vacationers). We wanted something private and secluded. That's what you get at the Fern Grotto Inn! Calling it an Inn is somewhat misleading, because it's really 5 individual vacation cottages, four that have full kitchens. From the moment we entered the Garden Cottage, we were entranced. Fern Grotto Inn is the kind of place that if you didn't know exactly how to get there, you wouldn't be able to find it. There is no sign, and when you do finally drive into the driveway, it just looks like you are coming home. What a nice way to vacation! Paul, the owner/manager greeted us in the driveway after I called him to ask if I was indeed in the right place, and escorted us to our cottage. What a wonderful place. Very clean, decorated in soft colors, windows everywhere to collect the breeze and scent of the flowers. The "Inn" itself is very quiet (except for the every present crowing of the indigenous roosters!), and is a block from the beach. You do need to be aware that this beach does not have life guards. The nearest guarded beach is about 15 minutes away. The water was calm during our visit, so we did not hesitate to swim there. Beach chairs, coolers etc are provided for your use, but some of it is old and falling apart. Very nice beach towels are also provided. The Inn is across from the old Coco Palms Hotel, once the premiere destination of the rich and famous (Blue Hawaii with Elvis was filmed there), and there is a book in the room explaining the significance of this old and historic landmark, unfortunately destroyed by a hurricane in 1992. The town of Kapaa is just a short drive up the road, in fact any destination you would want to see on Kauai is not a long trip as the island is small, and Fern Grotto Inn is centrally located. There is no daily room service, so you are pretty much left to enjoy the peace and quiet of the setting without interruptions. Truly a home away from home. If you desire a vacation that allows you to just do nothing, cook your own meals if you are so inclined, and just unwind without an agenda, then this is the place for you. We did renew our wedding vows on the beach a block from the Inn, and are extremely thankful that we found this little piece of Hawaiian Heaven!

Room Tip: Go directly to the Fern Grotto Inn website to reserve your room, not one of the "hotel" sites, as they do not list all of the availability of the cottages.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelsbycar
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I loved staying here. I was alone on my trip to Kauai and I was in the garden cottage. It was great for one person but easily would have been just as comfortable for two people. When I pulled into the parking lot Paul was taking out the trash and he helped me carry my (heavy) luggage in so I didn't have to pull it through the dirt pathways (the island was in the middle of a storm so the entire island was muddy). When I got inside the cottage I will say I was pleasantly surprised. The pictures don't do the place justice. They don't show that the place is fully stocked with plates/utensils/cleaning supplies along with anything you may have forgotten in last minute packing (sunscreen, aloe, lotion, cold medicine). There were activity books, magazines, books, dvds... anything you could really need. There isn't a stove and that is just fine as there is a microwave, mini fridge, toaster, coffee maker... you can make almost anything so you don't have to eat out at every meal.

I loved staying there and felt very much like I was at home. I would recommend this place to any of my friends considering a Kauai vacation. Also. awesome bonsai trees in the garden that you have a perfect view of. Had coffee out there one morning and was a very content vacationer!

Room Tip: I can only speak for the garden cottage and it was great. I rated sleep quality as 4 stars but that was because of the island roosters... not Paul's fault at all!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo