“Moon Studio was a dream on Kauai”
Check Availability
another Living Room
We don't reccommend Princeville condos
Camping on the Kalalau Trail
near secret falls
North shore is lush, green, with best beaches
no houses in sight
where is the traffic?
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Holiday Rental House -
1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 3
Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 30 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Italian first
Any
Tiredinka...
Seattle, Washington
“Beautiful place...zero sleep”
Reviewed 6 March 2013 for a stay in February 2013

Lovely accommodation and view.
But not worth it.
If you want any sleep this is not for you.
It's absurdly loud!

The barking dogs and locals are nothing compared to the nasty bullfrogs, that
continually croak from dusk until dawn.They were extremely loud and sounded like horns, geese or donkeys an inch from your ear. Six continuous seconds of quite was the record all night long.
Infuriating! The roosters in the morning were a minor noise in the scheme of things.

Sure call it nature...it was brutal.
Couldn't wait to check out and get some sleep.
What a shame.

Travelling group: Couples
18 Sep 2013
We offer a nature retreat, and sometimes the frogs are silent and sometimes they are "in season". There are two kinds, with different cycles and propensities. Obviously other guests didn't experience what this guest did, and we are sorry he was unable to sleep. One thing we can do is weed edges of pond more closely when we notice they are mating or whatever the reason is they sometimes get loud. This reduces their places to hide and their number. We just want to say that we would not have a successful rental if everyone experienced this, and they don't. We take all criticisms seriously. This one is a head scratcher because it is intermittent and a natural phenomenon.
TerriDMou...
Mount Tabor, NJ
“Moon Studio was a dream on Kauai”
Reviewed 31 December 2012 for a stay in October 2012
people found this review helpful

I booked this rental through TA and wasn't sure what we would actually experience when we arrived. My husband and I were in love with this beautiful property. W stayed in what was called "Moon Studio" which is the largest unit of the three, though I did get to see the other two units which are smaller, but also beautiful.

As we entered the studio, we were greeted by a large, semi-circular screened dining area overlooking the jungle and mountains of the North Shore; a breathtaking view complete with nighttime sounds of wildlife. We spent a lot of time here.

The bedroom and bathrooms are very comfortable and pleasantly decorated. The owner provides a large kitchen, and there are boogie boards, beach chairs, towels and sunscreen for guests to use, which is a bonus.

There were two other units being rented and we did hear movement and talking, along with some noise from neighborhood dogs at times. This didn't bother us much, and it was beautifully quiet when the other guests left. We did have some window slats missing in our bath which invited a few bugs in, and the shower drain was a little sluggish. I communicated this to the owner and hopefully they have been fixed. However, these are VERY minor glitches and the location, view, comfort and price of this property is highly worth it, in my opinion. Just a short drive to the many gorgeous beaches, hiking at Na Pali, and town of Hanalei. We would definitely book again!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Moon studio space and view
Liked least: Deeper room cleaning and small fixes such as window slats, but these are MINOR
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
31 Dec 2012
The window mentioned was fully screened, but some glass needed replacing, so it was not correct to say mosquitoes entered this way. It is possible to hear other guests and for this reason we limit the number of guests and are specific about being conscientious. Thank you for the review. Look forward to seeing you again.:)
San Francisco
Reviewed 24 October 2012 for a stay in October 2012

Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
Jessica C
Kihei, Hawaii
“Views were amazing, but....”
Reviewed 10 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012
person found this review helpful

Unlike others, we had no problems booking our room. When we arrived, (it's fairly easy to find, if you go by Ray's directions) it looked quiet, peaceful and beautiful. Ray was very sweet and easy to talk to. Our room (the Lily Pad) was great! The views from the balcony were spectacular and we woke up to huge rainbows outside each morning. The only problems we had were that there was no A/C. I know what you're thinking, "Who needs A/C in Kauai?". Well being from Texas, I'm just accustomed to having it a nice 68 degrees in my house at all times LOL. Because there was no A/C, we couldn't shut any windows or doors, day or night. So at night, the roosters cocka-doodle-do at all hours and the giant bullfrogs at the pond literally sound like buffalo. Unfortunately, we had to leave a day early because my husband got called back to work, but if you love the sound of nature (very loud nature) at all times of the day or night, and can deal with no A/C, then this place is for you. Regardless of those things, Ray has a really great place there!

Travelling group: Couples
18 Sep 2013
We have ceiling fans, and unlike south shore, it is not hot on north shore. We have quilts on beds and offer extra blankets and some people need these, particularly in winter. The trade winds come from East, and keep it cool on North Shore. I'm always amazed that on south side I can sleep without any sheet at all, but that isn't possible here.
papadave
Winchester, Virginia USA
“Think twice before you book here”
Reviewed 9 January 2011 for a stay in December 2010
people found this review helpful

Our eight night reservation for the Dawn Studio at Rainbow Views (12/23/10 to 12/31/10) was canceled less than one week before we were to leave Virginia for our vacation in Hawaii. I was notified by Ray, the web master/property manager who, by the way, lives in New Zealand, that I should immediately seek new accommodations for my visit in Kauai the following week. I was advised that the property had to be shut down due to an emergency that would not be resolved by the time we were scheduled to arrive and that work was scheduled for December 28, 2010. I was further advised that the on site property hostess, Deborah, was unavailable as her computer had crashed.. I was told that because it is Christmas it would be difficult to find a place and improbable that I would find a place at a price like Rainbow Views offered. Lastly, I was advised that the situation was a bummer. Since I was never told what the nature of the emergency was that caused our reservation to be canceled, I drove to the property on December 29th and was advised that the property was being sprayed for bugs.
While I did receive a quick and full refund, I think the property owners should have refunded me the difference between what I paid them and what I had to pay to find last minute alternate lodgings during the very busy Christmas holiday. As it turns out, my family ended up staying on the south shore for one night and we had seven wonderful nights in Hanalei at a property I initially rejected due to the cost and my desire to stay in the Dawn Studio at Rainbow Views.
If you are considering staying here, think twice before you book. If you already have a reservation, I would look for alternate lodging. This property left my family hanging and made no attempt to find alternate lodging for us. Needless to say, it was a very stressful situation to be placed in. Shame on Rainbow Views.

Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
18 Sep 2013
What a poor sport this guy was and so unreasonable! It wasn't nice for us to have to
cancel business either. It was an emergency and I was being honest that it was a bummer, because it was. Somehow this guy thinks we should pay the difference for whatever choice he made in a new accommodation. Emergencies happen. We lost a lot of business for this at peak season, and this guy being such a bad sport, tries to hurt our business further. Its sad that people can't understand that they are not center of universe.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing