“Great Property Along With Barking Dogs And...”
The view from the Guest House Lanai.
Drone view towards the beach from over River Estate. 3 Blocks away or paddle down the river and back River Estate is located at the mouth of the deepest valley on Kauai
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The view from the Guest House Lanai.
River Estate is located at the mouth of the deepest valley on Kauai
The entry of River Estate leads you to your own private paradise of peace, quiet and romance.
This is the view from the Guest House lanai. My favorite spot on the property.
The open space between homes offers a nice spot to relax or a get together.
The Riverhouse entry facing the orchard.
The Riverhouse master bedroom has a 1930's solid curly maple bedroom set.
The Riverhouse dining area is just off the living room. Antique table and Koa chairs.
The Riverhouse Living area has luxury Tommy Bahama furniture.
Lanai, Riverhouse - Hot tub, living view through to Kitchen beyond.
Relax and savor the secluded beauty in your 2 person hot tub.
The Riverhouse lanai is enclosed with a hot tub on it. (just out of frame to the right)
Looking from the riverbank towards the Riverhouse. Two bedrooms face it.
Looking towards the Riverhouse past the open orchard.
The Guest House offers complete privacy and an extremely peaceful environment.
The Guest House lanai view is my favorite.
The fully equipped gourmet Guest House Kitchen.
The Guest House living - entertainment area
The Guest House living area is simply elegant.
The Guest House Master Suite. The river sounds lull you to sleep here.
Sit on the Guest House lanai and relax. You're home.....
Shama Thrush's song is beautiful.....
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
terrynkat...
Mismaloya, Mexico
“Great Property Along With Barking Dogs And Crowing Roosters”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

At home, I would be griping about the neighbor dogs barking. Here, I didn't care! And the roosters? Big deal, they are everywhere and it is just part of Kauai! Welcome them and enjoy, they seem to own the island anyway!!!
We loved being away from the towns and traffic and this area is just that. Very easy to find and loved the adventure from the airport to River Estate. Everything was ready upon our arrival and we were so happy we chose this rental. Photos are exactly what you will experience at the home. The only thing I did not recall on the website was the green house right next door to the Red River House. The Guest House is just around the bend, only a few yards but completely out of sight. You hear the river flowing at this house, but we didn't from our home. We could see the river quite well from inside the house. Mosquito's are present, so we were thankful for the window screens and screened in lanai. It was never too warm indoors and only used the a/c in the bedroom for a little while when we retired. This home is meticulously clean and it is hard to see any (even normal) wear/tear on anything whether indoors or out.
Mark really knows how to maintain a vacation rental home. We took extra measures to care for it. Not because we felt the need to, we always take good care of rentals but also out of respect for Mark and future guests. I want all of you to experience this home just as we did. Great mattress in the master! We did not use the other two bedrooms. If you cannot reserve River Estate, I recommend the area anyway if you want the river, beach and mountainous area. Very lush and natural surroundings. People here are are so kind and friendly. Everything you need and almost all of your wants are within a few miles of Wainiha and the close by community of Hanalei.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It being exactly as advertised
Liked least: Having a neighbor so close but we had no problem. A very quiet neighbor.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
mkuzy
Carrollton, Georgia
“25th anniversary trip of a lifetime”
Reviewed 4 September 2012 for a stay in June 2012
people found this review helpful

My wife and I stayed at the Riverhouse for our 25th wedding anniversary vacation to Kauai. After a bad layover/delay (7 hours) in LA, it was very nice to come into a home that was warm and welcoming. Everything was ready for our arrival and the bed was comfortable and such a relief. We arrived well after 10:00 PM so we could not see the grounds or property but were pleasantly surpised that how beautiful the house and grounds were in the morning.

It is very peaceful and very relaxing there. We were looking for something that was away from the busy resort towns like Kapa'a or Poipu, and we found it up on the northside. The beaches there are wonderful and there were very few people . We felt very relaxed from the first day. The house was plenty big enough for just the two of us, but we feel like there is plenty of room for our entire family (6 kids!) if we wanted to bring them out to Kauai.

There are so many pros about the Riverhouse I can't mention them all, and I can only list one con. That would be the time it takes to drive from the home to the east and south side of the island. But that being said, the drive is wonderful with so many breath-taking views of the ocean and mountains. We rented a jeep, took the top off and enjoyed the drive! So how can that really be listed as a "con"?

All-in-all it was by far the best vacation my wife and I have ever been on. Kauai is beautiful. Knowing that we had such a nice place to come back to each night made the trip that much more special and enjoyable. Mark did a fantastic job of helping me with the arrangements and bent-over backwards to make everything very easy. There were no surpises, no attempts to pressure me into anything and Mark was very helpful at every stage of the process, start to finish.
Thanks so much for being such a help in make our anniversary so special!
Mahalo,
Mike

Liked best: Comfort
Liked least: Distance from airport
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
WA
Reviewed 10 July 2012 for a stay in March 2012

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
HonoluluL...
honolulu
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 29 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

My grand kids and I thoroguhl;y enjoyed our stay at the Guest House. It was exactly as pictured.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the sound of the river
Liked least: the insects from the trees/river
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway Families with young children
Management Response
28 Jun 2012
July, 4 2012
Aloha Lois,
Thank you for visiting River Estate (Guest House) with your grandchildren and taking the time to write this review. It was a great decision you made to bring your family here and show them a more natural environment than in Las Vegas (where they live) and to know they enjoyed it so much. You're always welcome here. I hope to see you all again in the future.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mark Barbanell
Chodo
Phoenix
“Idyllic house set by river but we wished the beach were closer”
Reviewed 29 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

The Guest House -- A truly lovely 2-bedroom house that was perfect for our family of three. It gave us enough room to spread out but still be together. We loved having a kitchen, w/d, and the lanai with it's dining table. The photos on the owner's web site are accurate and quite good. The kitchen is well equipped, especially for a rental. The furniture is comfortable, as are the beds, but not so fancy that we were ill at-ease. The owner has great beach chairs, boogies boards, towels and snorkel gear. We brought our own snorkel stuff .
The best part was the garden view with the perfect acoustical background provided by the nearby stream. One can sit at the table on the lanai or lie in bed and hear the river gently running to the sea. Magical.

It would have been nice to be able to walk to a beach or a town, rather than always having to get in the car. Lots of beaches are close by and it was fun to visit several of them.

We would have appreciated more information about what was in the vicinity. We missed the kind of information that a hotel desk clerk or concierge can provide about the merits of the different Na'appali coast trips, where the nearest grocery store is, and which Farmer's Market is worthwhile. For the record:
--Foodland in Princeville is a way better store for a Big Shop than the small store in Hanalei.
--If headed south, the Costco by the airport in Lihue is great. We bought the best poke and fresh fish there and the prices are terrific.
--The Farmer's Market by Kauai Mini Golf on the way to Kilauea on Sat morning had 15- 20 farmers and great produce, honey, baked goods, and such.
--Kilauea Point Lighthouse and National Wildlife Refuge is really interesting and a great view. For the nature enthusiast, this was the favorite stop.
--Sunset on any of the beaches nearby is great. Bring a bottle of your favorite beverage, snacks/ picnic and head out with the beach chairs that are at the house.
--Our favorite place to eat was actually Tiki Tacos. Amazing! See the review for info.
--Best sand on the beach, especially for digging/ playing, was Hanalei Bay.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The stream that babbled along side the house and the noise it made.
Liked least: Infestation of house flies. It's a tropical climate and bugs can happen.
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Management Response
28 Jun 2012
July 4, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to post a review Rebel. I appreciate it very much. I've been thinking of putting in a binder with a lot of my standard recommendations and you just might have convinced me to do it. I'm sorry that we didn't connect on the concierge questions. This is the first time anyone mentioned a shortfall in that department on my end and I'm surprised that I fell short in that department. It is actually what I specialize in. Your comment makes me realize that a binder of information is necessary for times when I somehow don't connect personally with my guests. I had always figured I had that area covered fully because of my personal approach to that service. I'll now put a note in the house suggesting people call m as well to start the conversation so to speak.. My past approach has been "If they don't ask when I call to welcome them, let them have their privacy" I appreciate your feedback because I'm always ready to make changes to improve the service here. Thats a big part of what I offer. I'm sorry you missed out on that. Perhaps I'll get the chance to make up for it on your next visit? ;-)
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mark Barbanell
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing