“Love”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of LOKELANI

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Possem
Seattle
“Beautiful, pristine home for pristine guests”
Reviewed 7 August 2018 for a stay in June 2018

I have to tell you, I loved this home. I mean LOVE-loved it. Not only has it been beautifully renovated and decorated, but walking a few minutes in one direction takes you to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. And a few minutes in the other direction brings you to restaurants, shops, and groceries. Not needing to drive allowed us to enjoy quite a few more Mai Tais. :)

The home is spacious and well stocked to function like a true home away from home. It bright and airy with an enormous backyard and a big gas grill. I didn't have any problems with noise as I had read in other reviews. Yes, we had visits from chickens and roosters that seem to go from yard to yard, but we weren't woken up by them at the crack of dawn.

With all that, you would think I would give this a 5-star review. I almost did, because I tend to focus on the good rather than the bad, but my husband said to be honest because it would help future renters. The reason why it's getting a 3-star review is because we were always stressed about making a mess. When you arrive, there is a binder of rules and information. It was a bit overwhelming. But we did our very best to read everything and abide.

The most challenging rules were about sand and stains on linens. Let's start with sand. As it was explicitly written, sand belongs outside not in. You must shower off and remove all sand and shoes before entering the home. No sand on floors, in beds, in the washing machine or dryer. They have an outdoor (not fully private) shower to help. Now, I don't know about you, but our all-day beach play (body surfing, swimming, sand castles, etc.) put sand in places that were quite hard to remove or embarrassing to try and remove outside. Even after I showered off with the outside shower and then went inside to scrub my hair with shampoo, I still woke up with sand on the pillow and sheets, which caused me to panic. A lot of stress, nagging and sweeping went into this vacation trying to keep the sand outside.

So now the linens. They are all white. I love white. The owners of the home and I are in total agreement that white is beautiful, paired with splashes of the beachy blue-green here and there. And I've always wanted to decorate with it, but since I had kids, I knew it would be impractical to maintain. Right? It makes me wonder if the owners have kids and understand how hard it is to keep white white.

Now, I wouldn't have had a problem with the white linens if I didn't read in the rule book that they have had a lot of problems with guests staining the linens (hmmmm), so make up, blood, dirt, food, etc., must be removed or you would be charged for replacement. Eeek! Okay, to the washing machine I went (brought a 14 year old girl just starting to experiment with makeup and that stuff can be hard to remove from your hands and face even after washing with soap).

The washing machine was an extra-large top loader. I sighed in relief when I saw it. In went the towels with a bunch of clothes, in went the detergent, then I put it on the hot/ auto-sensor setting. When I went and checked on the clothes, I couldn't see any water. Was my load too big? I didn't put more than I put in my home washer, so why would a giant machine only allow you to fill it with a few clothes? I rushed to the kitchen sink and started filling a big bowl with water to add to the washer until I could get enough to barely cover the load. [Note: I played around with other settings and found if you choose the bulky comforter setting--not the actual name but something like that I think--you can get more water to fill in it. But then, you waste a lot of water.] [Second note: DO NOT DO LAUNDRY AT BEDTIME. This machine is the loudest washer I've ever used and there is a bedroom right next to the laundry room. You will make someone trying to sleep very grumpy if you decide to do late-night loads.]

There were some other rules to add to my stress level, but those were the biggest, as well as the financial penalties they warn you about in the rule book. So many i's to dot and t's to cross that it wasn't truly the "forget your troubles, kick-back, and relax" kind of vacation I had in mind. My husband is Swiss and meticulous by nature. Since he was stressed as well by all the rules, I think it's important to let less-meticulous guests know what to prepare for.

I want to end this on a positive note. Would I recommend this rental? ABSOLUTELY. But only to people who are very clean and careful. Would we rent this home again? ABSOLUTELY. But I wouldn't bring kids because kids are not meticulous and you might go crazy cleaning after them and drive them crazy nagging at them. Lovely home though. Wish it were mine!

Reviewed 9 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016

Management Response
10 Dec 2016
Mahalo for the review Tabatha-we are pleased that you have enjoyed all of the upgrades and we hope to see you again
Napali Properties Staff
Reviewed 9 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Management Response
11 Oct 2016
Mahalo for the review-we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will come for another visit soon :)
Wendy A
San Francisco, California
“Gorgeous and perfect”
Reviewed 11 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015
person found this review helpful

We had such a beautiful stay at the Lokelani! The pictures don't do it justice. The backyard with the mountains in the background was a glorious view upon entering the house. The living areas of the house are very spacious and lovely. The master bedroom was so relaxing with big picture windows out to the backyard with a perfect view of white orchids growing on a tree. The bed was super comfortable.

Everything was so clean in the house. We loved the location. A half block walk to the main Beach Pavilion beach and 1 block or so to Hanalei main street. It was super convenient. Beach toys like boogie boards and also beach chairs was included. My kids had a blast in the backyard with the toads, chickens and fresh fruit to pick. The house was just ideal for us and we had an amazing family vacation with our 3 kids. Many thanks!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Location, backyard, bedroom, louvered windows, bathroom and living space
Liked least: On a busy street, but we live in the country and adjusted within a day
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
L M
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely home with beautiful gardens and terrific location.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014

This home is clean, comfortable and convenient. It is spacious and has beautiful gardens. It is ideally located between Hanalei Bay and the town of Hanalei (about a block in each direction). The beds are comfortable with wonderful pillows and bedding.
The house is ideally located to get to the best beaches on Kauai.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
No pets
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing