See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Our family vacation, made up of all adults, had a wonderful time in this bamboo palace. We could enjoy family time, walk to a fabulous restaurant for dinner, or cook in and, best of all, hear the ocean while we fell asleep. We will be going back!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LindajoTopanga_CA
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We experienced a wonderful relaxing week on the North Shore and enjoyed our stay at the Bamboo Hideaway. I would describe the home as more eclectic and charming as opposed to a luxurious villa as the website claims. The home is located back from the main road in a typical "locals" neighborhood leading to Tunnels and Ke'e beach, on what may be termed a flag lot driveway currently leading to three homes. The lot in front of the Bamboo Hideaway is currently vacant so that you have a more open feeling. The two homes along the driveway are a bit dilapidated, one under construction and one with a lot of stuff in the carport... tobacco road comes to mind. The back and one side of the house is bordered by a stream (dry while we were there) with tall trees, the front faces the main road, and the other side is also an empty lot that seems to be used as a small construction yard with piles of building materials and storage sheds. We saw a few contractors stop by to pick up and or leave tools and materials while we were there.

That being said, the house itself is very comfortable and clean with comfy beds and a great kitchen for as much or as little cooking that you want to get into. The living room has a nice TV and sound system and even an iPod dock. The lanai all around the house is great to just hang out in and move around and all the main rooms have access to it. The bamboo structure itself is very interesting and unique and yes, it does sway as people walk from the bedrooms to the living area. A little disconcerting at first but you get used to it. We were two couples sharing the home and with the two bedrooms and two baths it was very comfortable.

One last thing, I may have rated this a 4 instead of a 3 except for the service from the owner's agent. Communication leaves a bit to be desired. Before we left for the islands, after we had sent our deposit and payment, there was then no communication in a timely manner giving us the instructions to access the home . A few days before we left I started to worry and sent a couple of emails requesting the info and finally had to call a couple of times to get a response. When we returned, our contract had said that our deposit was to be returned within two weeks and after a month, still no deposit. I finally had to send an email and call again to get the deposit returned. Both times the excuse was an oversight... a little too unprofessional and kicked-back for my taste.

4  Thank B-CRoamWorld
Reviewed 10 June 2008

"After staying at the Tropical Bamboo Hideaway, we know the beauty and grace of Kauai. This charming place offers a sweet view of the ocean and waves at a distance in a serene setting. The peace we experienced there was spectacular. Everything you could want or need is provided. There is a less than ten minute walk to a great beach for a lazy afternoon of watching the sand crabs and waves or a short drive to great swimming beaches. We loved the romantic feel of the bamboo hideaway too. Nearby restaurants were terrific; like the Bar-Acuda and the Hannalei Dolphin. It was a fabulous stay and we even came back engaged to be married! That is how romantic is was!! We loved our trip and highly recommend this beautiful place with all its Kauai charm! Thank you for the availability of this rental. It was a grand unique experience!"

Janet Carnahan and Bruce Whitcomb
May 30, 2008

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank river8run
Reviewed 8 April 2008

"We stayed at the Bamboo Hideaway at the end of February. We are very familiar with Haena and go there almost every year. We had a wonderful time as usual.

We love the Haena location and the Bamboo house couldn't be better situated. The house, made entirely of bamboo, was imported from Vietnam and assembled in Haena. For other people interested in Bamboo houses - it's wonderful. Very eco-friendly and it just feels as though you could be up there in the trees!

There's an ocean view from the lanai, too and we enjoyed sitting out there with the breeze and views.

The house was well equipped with everything we needed; we cooked a fair amount and loved the outside barbecue grill. We got fish from the Dolphin Fish Market in Hanalei several times. Francesca called a couple of times to check in and was very helpful with suggestions for new things to do.

We love the little coffee shop across the road - it was great a few mornings just to walk over there - takes 2 minutes and order Latte & the best bagels on the North Shore! They also do good smoothies which our daughter enjoyed.

Haena is not for everyone - there's definitely a "local" flavor there - some yards are not as tidy as they might be but for those people who are bothered by that - stay in Princeville !

Haena is just our favorite place and we'll definitely be coming back to the Bamboo Hideaway next year!"

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank papayanirvana
Reviewed 13 March 2008

Last December I had the good fortune to spend my vacation with my son in Ha'ena. We enjoyed staying in the Bamboo hideaway, a short 10 minutes from bustling Hanalei. It was fabulous. The building is modern and very well designed. It had all of the normal amenities, such as clean kitchen and baths. The entertainment system provided all the media and network access one could want. We didn't really use much of it since we were at the beach or on rivers somewhere probably. It was such a wonderful morning there, lying quietly, feeling a soft breeze and the sound of the surf. We used the large lawn out front as a safe place to light fireworks. It was really fun. Not to everybody's taste perhaps, but fun nonetheless. It was so weird to see fireworks for sale
at the local markets. I digress. My son and I have both developed a deep affection for the preparation of food. He's quite good in the kitchen, and enjoys the pleasure of a well cooked meal. So it was an added pleasure for us to be able to get good local produce and fresh fish, and then create a fresh and delicious meal to enjoy in a treehouse. The kitchen equipment was adequate for all basic, and many special tasks. The only flaw here were the knives. But to tell the truth, in all of the condos I've stayed in during the last few decades, knives in kitchens were uniformly dull. That's why we brought our own tool set. When we flew, it had to be checked, of course, but it was worth dragging around. I slept well, because it was situated in a quiet neighborhood. There was this close shop for espresso that was a welcome part of a few of my mornings. I got rained on a few times, but it felt good to be out in real but not unpleasant weather. Francesca was very helpful in getting us the kind of lodging which provides a needed recharge to our lives. Setting things up to get the rental confirmed, ensuring the place was ready when we arrived, suggesting some fun things to do which were right on, and her take on food is consistent with what we found on the island. Organic produce at Papayas. Yea. Fresh fish at the back door of the Dolphin. We had only mediocre luck with the snorkeling. It had been windy and the bottom was pretty stirred up. So we took off and circumnavigated the island. We'd rented a Wrangler and left the top down. Several hours of driving got to be a chore, but it was good to see all of an island, and understand how it was constructed. Finally, just a few words about another recommendation from Francesca. She said we should try to get to eat at Bar Acuda in Hanalei. It was incredible. The chef and all his staff were brilliant. Nothing is perfect, but they did a great job. I didn't care for the flounder. By the end of our stay, we had sampled almost all of the menu. Arduous, but somebody had to do it. We liked the food at the Dolphin, but were disappointed by Postcards. I remember having a nice dinner some years ago at A Pacific Cafe, but it's closed now, and won't reopen for awhile. On Hawaiian time. So I guess at the end of all this time, I'd say I really like staying there, and would do it again. Mahalo to all who helped us have a great time.

Stayed: December 2007