1,223 results
All reviews hale aloha hot tub plantation house national park schnitzel the big island included breakfast common room gas fireplace honeymoon suite included in the room rate dinner reservations towel warmer french toast hawaiian style old hawaii grounds are beautiful
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed in the Pii'Mauna house (a 2 minute drive from the main lodge) and it was great. Just a few minutes from the park. I thought it was quite a bargain especially considering it could sleep up to 8 (2 beds and 2 pullout sofas), and had it's own kitchen, so was plenty of room for us 4. It felt very cozy and private. It's actually 2 cabins so the kids loved having their own. Sitting under the stars at night in our own private jacuzzi was fun. The fireplace in the main cabin was real toasty. And I honestly had the best sleep that I've ever had in any hotel or B&B before. The only drawback for some might be the rooster that wakes you in the morning, but he didn't bother us at all. And I agree the restaurant was not the best I've ever eaten at, but given that there are so few choices in the area (especially on a Sunday!) we were very happy.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The lodgings and dining options in Volcano are rather limited (esp. with the park's Volcano House closed for renovations), but this was a charming place. We stayed in the Hale Aloha building, which has four rooms and a large common room with fireplace. We were on the ground floor, and I'd probably prefer the upper for privacy and quiet, but we didn't have any problems with other guests' noise. We didn't spend enough time at the lodge to fully enjoy their amenities (hot tub, videos, reading material), but we were very cozy. Room was on the small side, but comfortable. Love the heated towel racks. The restaurant food was delicious (also expensive) and a little fancy for our 8-year-old's taste, but it's a warm and attractive room with interesting artwork. Loved the enormous fireplace built with stones from around the world.

Room Tip: Call well in advance
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WeRFamily
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Picture this: after a day exploring the amazing Volcanoes National Park, you return to your cabin-like room, decorated with genuine Hawaiian quilts and fresh flowers, to turn on the (gas-powered, so no mess) fire, hear the falling rain (yes, it rains a lot there!), and be woken by the call of the birds in the surrounding forest. We stayed for 3 days and the only thing as good as the fabulous surroundings was the Punalu'u sweetbread French toast at breakfast.

The people on staff and in the office are full of advice about restaurants and the Big Island in general and the whole place is supervised by a senior cat and an accompanying dog, both of whom perform their duties admirably. The only thing we gave them less than 5 stars on was that we'd have liked a bigger, firmer bed.

BTW, it has wifi but no TVs in the room. There is a common room with TV, DVDs, etc, but we never even got there. Not sure they even should have wifi to complete the sense of coziness -- but it was *very* handy at getting us reservations and directions for an amazing gourmet dinner at Merriman's in Waimea across the island!;-)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WaziMom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

As a previous reviewer stated, the Kilauea Lodge is a charming B&B. Even though it's charming, however, it is a disappointment in many other ways.

1) The breakfast they serve to guests as part of the B&B is lacking with only 4 options (none of which are suitable for egg or dairy-free dining). They don't provide the same choice as they do to off the street diners.

2) Service and organization are dreadfully lacking. I wasn't even able to park near our room b/c they had their employees park in the back by the rooms and don't mark any of their spots. By the time we got back from the volcano, all of the spots had been taken. We had to park a far away from our rooms and walk in the pouring rain with two young children in the dark and ended up stepping in very large puddles and getting soaked. When I told the front desk about this issue in the morning I didn't even receive an apology. The best I got was "Oh, I'll bring that issue up with the manager" (who wasn't even there). For $230 a night, you better provide me with MUCH better customer service than that.

3) The rooms, while cute, quaint and charming, are skimpy on the quality of the mattresses and bedding. My wife and I both did not sleep well and the mattress was very uncomfortable. The pillows were HUGE and gave us neckaches in the morning. Most hotels in this price range provide you with several types of pillows to choose from. Not here.

In all, it was a disappointing experience and not worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank EcoChambers
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is a small lodge with restaurant. The restaurant was fine, but the breakfast offered to lodge guests was not the same as to those who came in from the street. Lodge guests had fewer and lesser choices. I expect a small lodge to be friendly. The staff was not. The treatment we received was similar to that one might expect at a middling chain motel. The bed was not comfortable, and the storage space in the "best room" supposedly was minimal and certainly not sufficient for us, who were traveling with two carry on pieces.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple