See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 March 2012

we stayed in one of the corner rooms in mid Feb..room was clean with lots of room..had a microwave and coffee maker and a few basic cooking needs for a quick breakfast in the morning..room had a very slight mildewy smell...but its the rainforrest..kinda smelled dampish outside too lol...we thought the notes..which seem to be an issue for some..were kind of funny....and there certainly is not excuse for not finding your way to the office !! and thankyou thankyou thankyou to the lady who was doing the cleaning who had picked up my wifes rings that she had forgotten

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank saskguy096
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My latest stay at Volcano Inn was in late January 2012. We stayed in a family room--Caldera was it's name; it was on two floors of a three-story home. The home was beautifully built with many lovely little details. The only problem we encountered with this was that the bathroom was downstairs and the bedroom was up, which was a problem for one of our party who has trouble with stairs. She wound up sleeping on the sofabed downstairs.

This unit had a very nice kitchen with full equipment and a spacious bathroom. The upstairs community bedroom held two double beds, two twin beds, and a loft/platform bed.

The outdoors hot tubs were very welcome and walking to them through the lush grounds is a treat. The house had huge picture windows looking over the tree fern forest. The gas fireplace was welcome in the cool evenings.

There are directional signs fairly obvious but I can see their necessary in this fairly out of the way spot, with conventions like catchment water and septic systems that many city dwellers might not be familiar with.

My husband and I have also stayed in the "corner window rooms" which don't have a full kitchen but have a microwave and coffeemaker, just fine for a couple of nights for two people.

I've never experienced any problems with mildew or lack of cleanliness, the rooms are always very clean and well stocked.

Ron and Jeab, the owners, are maybe not the warmest and fuzziest of proprietors, but they definitely take pride in their property. Ron does all the building himself, including the solar power for water heating and all the electrical, and his skill and high standards are evident in the places.

Recommended for a visit to Volcanoes National Park.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank corisline
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I really like this place in general - quiet, clean, off the beaten path, good location, awesome hot tub. It seems like the rooms really vary in quality. I stayed in the Hapu'u which had a really uncomfortable mattress, but the owner later told me the mattresses are different in each room and he'd let me try some out next time. The place is very peaceful and a great location for going to the park. I've stayed in other B&Bs in Volcano and this place thought of some important details: a heated towel rack since it's so humid things don't dry well, and a de-humidifier, for the same reason. The last time I stayed in Volcano my suit and towel never dried and the choice was either cold or very humid. Volcano Inn solved that problem with a few nice touches. I'm fine with no-frills, this place is cheap for a reason. So I would recommend it, but if you're picky about mattresses like me, ask the owner if you can try out another room if yours doesn't fit your sleep preferences.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very different - look at the pictures on the website and read other Trip Advisor reviews.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank cheytull
Reviewed 23 February 2012

If you like the odor of sweat soaked bed covers and mildew this is the place for you. Gecko was the worst. When calling at 6 pm about the almost gone bottled water and informed it could not be replaced until empty meaning we could go most of the night without drinking water. And Informed that the tap water was not supposed to be safe to drink. Opening the windows for hours did not help the odor. The middle of the room dehumidifier would fill before the night was half over and had to be emptied to restart. Multiple notes to remove shoes, wash dishes(or pay 30 dollars) and turn the bathroom fan off would not have been as bothersome if they had spent as much time washing the bed covers/blankets. Good location to Volcano Park could not be overcome by the smell of the room

Room Tip: not Gecko smell the covers
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bradley1953
Reviewed 10 December 2011

My group of three stayed here while on a two day adventure into Volcanoes National Park.

The room we got was very large with a small kitchenette, dining room table, and a TV. The room was very clean; it had bath robes, extra blankets and towels already in the room, and pump bottles of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner!

On the second floor is a great lounge area with tables, couches, and a fireplace for everyone to use, along with free wi-fi. Just remember to take your shoes off before entering.

Finally, there is a jacuzzi available to everyone to use right outside the rooms; I, however, did not personally partake.

• Stayed: December 2011