See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 December 2011

My group of three stayed here while on a two day adventure into Volcanoes National Park.

The room we got was very large with a small kitchenette, dining room table, and a TV. The room was very clean; it had bath robes, extra blankets and towels already in the room, and pump bottles of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner!

On the second floor is a great lounge area with tables, couches, and a fireplace for everyone to use, along with free wi-fi. Just remember to take your shoes off before entering.

Finally, there is a jacuzzi available to everyone to use right outside the rooms; I, however, did not personally partake.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Jason R
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We spent 2 nights in a family room (gecko room) this November. No complaints about the room, location, owners or anything. Room was plenty big for the 6 of us who stayed. There were some dvd's in the room which was nice. Close to the Volcanoes national park. Hot tub was nice. Food in nearby town was very expensive, we ended up buying tins of soup from the general store and heated them up in the microwave in the room for dinner. Overall very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank RandallFam
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Our room was away from the main inn (Three streets away). We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in the middle of a rain forest. The room had a beautiful corner picture window looking out into the forest. Not a lot of storage space, I think the rooms are probably for one or two night stays (We stayed 4 nights). It's a great location for the Volcano and not far from Hilo.

Room Tip: Big windows in the corner rooms of the annex are wonderful.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AtlantaTravelbuff
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We decided on this place as it is well located in terms of distance from the Volcanoes National Park - only about a 5 min drive away. It is also a good price for a 3 night stay. We landed in Hilo at around 7:00 pm and by the time we drove up to Volcano, it was almost 8:00 pm and dark. We went to the main building and were told that our accommodations were located in the other property - about half a mile on the other side of the highway. We were handed a map to help us get there and also some phone numbers of restaurants in the area. There are absolutely no street lights on the other side of the highway and it really gives you a feeling of being alone at night in the middle of nowhere. There are lights outside of the Volcano Inn building parking lot - but they are motion sensitive (?) - and don't light up until you are exactly under them. Our room was located about 50 yards away from the parking lot and we had to drag three bags across gravel - which is difficult to do with heavier luggage like we had. The room itself was pretty clean, but had a musty smell to it. It was well equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and dehumidifier and drinking water, plates, glasses, etc. The corner window was nice.
We did not use the shared hot tub - we would probably have used it if the area around it and the path to it was better lit. The rainforest-type trees that surround the property also make it very dark as evening approaches.
Overall, an average experience - nothing too great or too bad about this place - a few more lights would definitely have made a big difference in our overall experience.

Room Tip: Arrive during daytime if you're a little uncomfortable/paranoid about entering an unknown, pitch-dark place.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank H S
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights during our Honeymoon in June 2011. Upon arriving we had to check in at the main building and were given a key to a room at their other location about half a mile to a mile away. The 2nd location was down a back road in a neighborhood...it was a little shady, but nothing too bad. After parking your car you have to walk down a narrow path through the middle of very lush, beautiful rainforest type area. We stayed in the Pahoehoe room, which is a window corner unit that shared the building with another room. Our room had a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee pot, discolored cable TV, and an annoying dehumidifier.

To turn the power on in the room you had to insert a little metal key attached to your room key into a wall switch and turn it. It was a little bit of a hassle upon entering/leaving, but not too bad. The room also has 2 solar lights, one in the bedroom, and one in the bathroom. Good idea I guess, but the light in the bedroom is large and is directly over the bed...and it starts lighting up at 6-7am...as soon as the sun rises. This makes sleeping past 6am or so difficult. The corner window offered a beautiful view, but the room had too many windows for my liking. The window above the shower/bathtub had no blinds and could not be covered. I didn't feel like I had much privacy. Our room wasn't cleaned the 3 days we were there but then again we never asked. The dehumidifier needs to be on constantly and it fills up every 5 hours or so, meaning once every middle of the night we had to get up and empty it in order to keep it running.

The premises also had a hot tub that could be used at any time of the day or night and was for about 4-5 rooms. We used it one night and it was nice with the rain hitting the canopy overhead while you soak in the water. But again, it was a little uncomfortable because the surrounding area is wooded and pitch black....a few lights here and there would have been nice.

The rooms were nice and the view out the corner window was beautiful...but I probably wouldn’t stay here again. It was a little outside of my comfort zone. I wasn't a fan of the solar lights, as they make sleeping past 6am difficult. All the mirrors and windows was also a bit much for me. I also didn't like that the room door did not have a deadbolt or any other locking mechanism except the room key, especially being out in the pitch black in the middle of nowhere. If you're a little paranoid like me, I wouldn't recommend the place. But if that kind of stuff doesn’t bother you then I say go for it! I will say that the location of the hotel is awesome because it’s only a few miles from Volcanoes National Park, which makes night time excursions to the park very convenient! Hilo is about 25 miles from the hotel, which is nice for visiting the sites in Hilo and the eastern side of the island.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple