All reviews corner room banana bread yogurt hot tub papaya boats main building national park the breakfast area no shoes thai food truck coffee maker the big island big windows large room fresh papaya small refrigerator beautiful rainforest
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I did a lot of research on the lodging options in Volcano, and concluded that Volcano Inn had the best quality vs. cost. This is probably true - we stayed in a corner room, which had a great view as advertised, and you probably can't beat $90 a night for a room with a view and private bath. And staying in Volcano was definitely the right option for us, as we wanted to spend a couple days exploring the park without worrying about driving.

If it weren't for the great location, I wouldn't stay here again (actually I'm not sure I'd stay again even way). The musty smell was pretty overwhelming when we arrived, but we got used to it eventually. The bedding is long overdue for an upgrade. The thing that bothered me the most was a strange vibe I got from the all caps instructions in the confirmation email ("If you can't make it before dark, YOU MUST CALL US THE DAY BEFORE TO ADVISE US OF YOUR SITUATION. If you are going to arrive after 9pm you must call us for detailed self check in instructions the day before.") and seemingly passive-aggressive notices posted in the room ("If you plan to leave a mess, please pay $30 in advance so we can schedule extra time for cleaning"). These made us feel stressed about reaching the inn on time, and confused about how much we were supposed to clean up after ourselves, like do we try to wash the coffee mugs in the bathroom sink with no sponge and no soap? Or leave them dirty so it's obvious we used them so that they can wash them properly?

It's a fine place to stay for a night or two while exploring the park, just nothing especially nice on its own.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We arrived at the Volcano Inn in the afternoon to check in and were directly sent off to the Gecko "cottage" which is the ground floor of a house not too far away. The decor was something out of the 70's but very neat/clean/ organized. There was a living area with a twin bed, fold out sofa, and an old TV, a kitchenette with 2 small tables and a bar to eat at, a small bedroom with a queen and a twin beds and a bathroom. A gecko collection was on display throughout. The kitchen had a drip coffee maker, coffee, nondairy creamer and sugar which provided a nice cup of coffee in the morning. There was a small gas fireplace in the living area, not fancy, but useful because it was chilly and quite damp in the evening. It is not to be used while sleeping. A humidifier is also in the room which I guess is useful, if not only to drown out any noises from the upstairs guests. There is a hot tub out in front, we took a peak at it but decided not to use it. Our teens slept well without complaint as did my husband, but I was a bit chilled and had visions of gecko's, though no actual live creatures of any kind were seen!

Room Tip: I am sure every room is a good value for families and very clean and neat. I would have preferred something above the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Once we actually found the real place called "Volcano Inn" it was a real value with incredible scenery (jungly!). Apparently, this place has been doing well and offering great value for a long time and others have infringed upon the name and reputation.

Room Tip: Corner Window Room feels like Jurassic Park!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LoganOptometry
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed at the Volcano Inn June 2011 and wow were we surprised, we had not known what a special, magical tropical treat this place is; it very quickly felt like home to us. Be prepared to take off your shoes before you enter, and you’ll soon appreciate a magnificent common room with beautiful natural woods, comfy little tables, a magnificent view of the lovely jungle vegetation all around. Much (or all?) of the place is hand-built using a lot of natural native materials, it’s a marvel to look at. The rooms are very large and full of nice unexpected goodies like books, DVDs (but who’d watch a dvd in such a paradise?!), and more. You can walk around the paths in the back yard and soak in the natural beauty of the place, enjoying a freshly made mug of coffee while doing so. One special treat we got was to speak with a fascinating individual and geologist, Jake Lagoni, who sat with us and treated us with wonderful conversation over coffee and fresh-baked organic muffins. We enjoyed Volcano Inn more than we can say and were so sorry to leave our little temporary jungle “home”, but we know we are going back – the next time we go to The Big Island, we’ll definitely stay at Volcano Inn again. This place would be a bargain at twice the price. I hope Jake will be there!

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs require 2 flights of stairs - difficult for elderly/disabled. All rooms are wonderful though.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Woofin
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Nice place to stay. However the wife of the owner literally yelled at me before storming of the laundry room. I had previously asked a lady who worked at the Inn if I could do my laundry. She responded positively. While I was putting everything in the washer, another lady came over screaming that I was not allowed to touch the machine and other things. She then left. I found out that she was the wife. Not impressed all at because there was no apology what so ever.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family