Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsretreat centercafeteria stylekind of placesound of the wavesvegetarian optionsblack sand beachview of the oceanbeautiful groundsclassesyogavolunteersclothingworkshopcommunityjunglehulatubs
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

We booked for a week but left after a day - (no refund). The place is run down and unhygienic, seems to be full of escapees from the mainland having a party and expecting paying guests to subsidise their lifestyle...

The spa is none existent (just an old unheated outdoor pool & some old scummy hot tubs). It's clothing optional which is fine for us but when overlaid with a heavy sexual tension from the many gay men (of a certain age)it is not a place to feel at ease. It is not helped by the changing room being labelled the love shack and condom wrappers being left around - highly unsuitable for families we would suggest. The fact that it is a gay nudist resort should be made clearer on the website in our opinion.

We felt we were heavily missold and although we were not given a refund for the five nights we didn't stay we do not regret our decision to leave at all.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Frejacayman
Ali S, Director of Storytelling at Kalani, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Aloha and mahalo for your candid review. Kalani Honua is a 40-year old 501(c)(3) non-profit educational retreat center. We host group retreats and individual travelers for experiences in yoga, meditation, massage, arts, and much more. Given the breadth of experiences we offer here, the people on campus change regularly and can be different from week to week and month to month. Given the nature of your review, we understand that the tone on campus at the time of your visit did not resonate with you and for that, we apologize.

We are proud to welcome individuals of all backgrounds, cultures, and sexual orientations. While Kalani does not identify specifically as a "gay" or "nudist" retreat center, we do create a safe and welcoming environment for LGBTQ visitors and hold space for freedom at our swimwear-optional pool, where individuals are welcome to wear or decline wearing swimwear at their own discretion. However, we do not condone inappropriate behavior in and around our pool area.

We strive to manage expectations about our retreat center environment appropriately and apologize that your expectations were not met. While Kalani does seek to preserve its wildness and freedom of expression, we are not pleased to hear that you did not find our environment safe and welcoming.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

I got back a week ago and my experience was vastly different than my initial one 2 years ago. In 2014 I signed up for a yoga retreat and went to Kalani for some serious R&R. I was burned out on my job and relationship and felt like Kalani would be a great place to recharge. However, I didn't realize how remote and rustic some of the accommodations were. I stayed in a Treehouse cottage which is pretty far from the kitchen/dining lanai and a long walk back in the dark. When the sun sets it is PITCH BLACK. I stayed in the Tropical Loft this time and it made the entire stay 110% better. First, because it was closer to the kitchen and pool and my room had actual windows that closed (lol). On this recent visit, I really "got" the Kalani experience...meaning...the sense of a close-knit and caring community, the natural, rustic setting and being exposed to the elements 24/7. It rained the entire time I stayed there but I didn't mind. It rains A LOT there and your clothes get soggy and damp and never really stays dry but it's a small price to pay considering the charm and soothing natural ambience of Kalani. A previous poster called Kalani an "adult day camp" which is a pretty accurate description. However, unlike other reviewers, I don't feel that it's overpriced. For about $200/day you get 3 healthy meals/day, all onsite activities like yoga, Hawaiian history, hula classes, etc. There is a great watsu massage program there as well as lots of different massage therapists available at an additional cost. If you were to stay at a high-end resort, the costs would easily be triple the daily rate. This is truly a "getting-away-from-it-all" experience because there is minimal cell phone coverage and it IS in the middle of jungle. Since I was more rested coming to Kalani this time, I enjoyed my visit much more and am already planning my next visit!

Room Tip: I found the Tropical Loft rooms much nicer than the other rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Kellismom
Ali S, Director of Storytelling at Kalani, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

Aloha Kellismom and mahalo for your review. We are in the process of updating our website with language and imagery to make it more clear how remote and rustic some of our accommodations are -- and, we're happy you were able to optimize your second visit! With regard to rain, winter is our rainy season, so visits in summertime tend to be hotter and dryer.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you to plan your next visit!

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Stayed one night at this Yoga and Wellness Center. Found the place on Expedia and didn't pay attention to the fact it was a yoga retreat. You should of seen our faces as we pulled into the compound - classic.

That said it is not a bad place. People apply to come there and stay 1 to 3 months working on spirituality and learning yoga. If you stay here prepare to join in on the activities. We did chanting the night we were there.

Food is served at a central location and it has set hours. The food was very healthy. Our room was clean and basic. It wasn't the kind of room you wanted to spend time in but was adequate.

The place reminded us of a very upscale hippy retreat from the 70's. It was fun for the one night we stayed. If I don't go back it's only because we like nice hotels!! Clothing is optional at the pool.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

It's always relaxing at Kalani. It's a special place. If you are looking for a place to relax, get away from typical tourist spots and enjoy yoga, mindfulness and giving back to the local community and culture you will enjoy Kalani.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2016

We chose the Kalani because of the description and the photos on booking.com. It looked like a nice retreat with big, airy rooms. When we arrived, we were quite shocked as our treehouse room for 220$ a night turned out to be a shoddy, small and run down shack with broken floor and old and trashy furniture. The bathroom came with stained walls and rusty plumbing. No better outside, the walkways have seen better times, erosion and big potholes everywhere. The garden is nice, let alone the rusty chairs and tents in every corner. We went to complain to the night manager, but she could not really help us as the nicer rooms probably where all busy.
We really thought about walking away even though we had already paid for it, but it was too late that night (after 9p.m.). So we just tried to sleep. The next morning we were looking forward to get some of the advertised healthy food, just nobody told us breakfast was only from 7:30 to 8:30. We arrived at 8:40 and there was nothing left but coffee, not the best considering the great coffee available everywhere in the region. So we were just happy to leave (fortunately only booked one night) and felt sorry for the people who had to stay for a week.
The place would be allright for 50 dollars a night but not for more than 200… Apparently the pictures on Kalani’s website have been taken quite some years ago, and we simply felt we did not get what was advertised
There are few positive aspects though: Bed was nice and new, Friendly staff at the reception and we got 20% off when we complained the next morning. Also we didn’t have to pay for thr breakfast.
Did not look like we where the first ones to complain, but also did not feel like they plan to make any changes.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Eli_und_Chris
Ali S, Director of Storytelling at Kalani, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

Aloha and mahalo for your review.

Kalani is a 501(c)(3) non-profit retreat center with a 40+ year history of service; as such, we have a variety of accommodations that range with regard to age. In the case of the treehouse, this is one of our original accommodations with a spirit all its own, overlooking our horse pasture - with many people reserving it months in advance because of its unique nature. The rate for the treehouse is $180/night. Meals are available at an additional cost.

I understand that this accommodation did not meet your expectation based on the photos displayed on Booking.com and for that, I apologize. We are working to improve expectation management by being as accurate as possible about our accommodations and retreat center style. We're not your typical "resort". Kalani celebrates its uniqueness and understands that we're not a fit for all guests.

Typically, we let guests know about our set meal times verbally and on a printed copy of our guest one-sheet upon check-in; however I apologize that you were not notified. Our food is approximately 70% locally-sourced and organic, and we are sorry you missed breakfast on the day of your stay. Thanks again for the review and feedback; we will certainly consider it as we work to manage guest expectations moving forward.