“Fantasic Bike Shop For Just About Any Need”

Mountain Road Cycles
Ranked #14 of 18 Outdoor Activities in Waimea
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Road Cycle's bicycle rentals include road bikes for races, bikes for touring Old Mamalahoa Highway (and other amazing rides), or a bike to ride from your hotel to the beach. We also rent mountain bikes for riding in Kalopa State Park or Volcano National Park (and many other spots on the island). We have bike racks for rent to get bikes on your car to go anywhere around the island.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I'll add to the unanimous complimentary reviews about the shop. It is located behind the restaurant/brew pub and is has just about everything any type of cyclist could need from road to track to mountain to racer biking. There are rentals and cyclists should take advantage of the great riding routes by stopping in. They do top notch repairs and reassembled my bike for me after I had it shipped over from the mainland. Great guys and a sleepy supervising black lab to keep the pace just right.

Addendum: After several months of riding my old Trek was starting to ride a bit rough and get gummed up and I took it back to Matt for an overhaul. He did a thorough once over and adjusted some things. This would normally have been the end of the transaction, but he then did a test ride outside the shop and explained some things and had me jump on and give me opinion. He then took the bike in and on the spot fine tuned it to my liking. This is a bike oasis in the desert so to speak and I hope others visit the shop for any and all biking needs that arise.

He was jammed up due to working on bikes for an area triathalon and still squeezed me in. Great place with a patient staff for all levels of riding.

All reviews
"bikes"
"ride"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

So stoked to have found this shop and met Matt and his crew. Amazing LBS with such a personal touch. Really represents what the MTBing community is all about. Hope to return the favor some time when he comes to California.

Mahalo,
Steve W

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I rented a bike (hard tail mountain bike) for a 3 week visit to the big island. Service was great. It's a small bike shop tucked behind Big Island Brewhaus that also looks like it does service and some sales but I just rented the bike there. Matt the owner was super friendly and responsive to my emails in advance setting things up and customizing the bike for the kind of pedals I needed and he helped me set up the bike rack on my rental car.

I rented the bike just for general riding around - nothing too intense or specialized but was very happy with the quality of the bike and everything about my experience with Mountain Road Cycles.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

These guy’s are so ethical that when they discovered I was from Hilo they insisted I get quotes from a Hilo Bike Shop and that they would be uncomfortable with selling me a bike unless I went thru this processs. They didn’t want to take a potential Hilo sale away from Hilo. As it turned out I had already talked to a couple of places in Hilo and even in the initial interaction Mountain Road Cycles were ahead in product knowledge and customer service. I wound up buying a BMC (the team Cadel Evans rode for and won a Tour de France with ) hydrid mountain/road bike and the customer service was exemplary. Because I travel a fair bit the duration between the sale and delivery got extended a fair bit. Thru it all they were friendly courteous and nothing was too much trouble. Even the shop dog was unquestioningly friendly :-) I cannot recommend these guy’s highly enough. If you’re from the north end of the island THIS is THE place to go for a bike