“Delicious food, beautiful location”
Review of Hilo Bay Cafe

Hilo Bay Cafe
Ranked #11 of 248 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American, Japanese, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Contemporary restaurant with emphasis on innovative cuisine using fresh, local, and organic ingredients--a Hilo town favorite gathering place. Full food and beverage service with indoor and outdoor lanai seating and large room for special events. Much of the restaurant has expansive views of Hilo bay, Mauna Kea, and Hilo town. Full bar, original recipes, artisan sushi, and keiki menu. Large parties are welcome. Come as you are or come as your best dressed self--we appreciate both! Reservations recommended. *For current menus, please visit our website, as TripAdvisor does not give businesses the capability to update menu content.*
Reviewed 31 March 2021

Enjoyed our dinner at this place with an eclectic menu. Crab cakes were delicious so was the ono pasta. Interesting cocktails too

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,538)

Reviewed 28 January 2021

Hilo Bay Cafe was recommended by the folks at the hotel we were staying at, so we decided to give them a try. We went for dinner and were seated right by the bar with peek-a-boo views of the water (though I did go out to the veranda and look around). It is right on the bay and has great views. I had the crab cake salad, which were some of the best crab cakes I have ever had. (And the sauce that tops them, I could eat with a spoon.) My husband had the Blue Bay Burger; he loved the burger, but did not realize that gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese. Being from Wisconsin, if he had been given any other cheese options (which there were), it would have put it over the top. Other than that, our waitress was great, the food was great, and the restaurant is in a beautiful spot. Would definitely come here again.

Date of visit: January 2021
2  Thank Colleen C
Reviewed 16 August 2020

We were here in Aug 2020, so they were limited in the menu and number of tables. It was a good experience, try the fries with truffel mayo....delicious. Also great was the parmesan custard. Both are excellent and the latter a new experience for us. The venue was ok, muted but still pleasant. The view over the bay was very nice. Worth the time, maybe just not a good choice for local cuisine.

Date of visit: August 2020
2  Thank 1968TR250
Reviewed 27 March 2020 via mobile

Delicious drinks friendly bar tender super nice environment ! We sat down at the bar over view of Hilo bay it was our 36 year anniversary and it was lovely! Recommend to everyone!!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed 17 March 2020 via mobile

I was in the mood for fresh fish and a green salad and wanted to eat in my hotel room. I walked here from my hotel and the service was incredible. They were very helpful in customizing my order for my needs. Then I was allowed to wait on a bench with an incredible view of the ocean. A Very classy place in Hilo. Fish and salad were fresh and delicious.

Date of visit: March 2020