“A Comfortable Home in Hilo”
other travellers have booked this property
Dining in gazebo
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Dining in gazebo
Mosaic floor tiles in kitchen stove area
Interior door
Exterior
Tropical garden view to gazebo
House veranda view
Front yard access for guests
tropical landscaping
Welcome sign
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
101jeremy...
Port Macquarie, Australia
“A Comfortable Home in Hilo”
Reviewed 5 December 2016 for a stay in November 2016

This is a beautiful, charming and very comfortable house well located though not exactly "downtown". There is only one bedroom but there are multiple indoor and outdoor sitting areas to choose from, all awaiting a bit of loafing and relaxation. This is not for children, the house is filled with a lifetime of collectables and significant furniture. It's would be cluttered were it not so big. The owner, Kawehi, is discreet but but if encouraged will be delighted to explain her treasures and share her encyclopaedic understanding of Hawaii's Islands and culture. No one will ever forget a stay at Hale Kawehi and if you were to return to Hilo there would be no question of staying elsewhere. I say Ave Kawehi!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house and its contents
Liked least: The damp smell in one of the bathrooms
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
5 Dec 2016
Mahalo Jeremy. I enjoyed hosting you and wish you well. See you again.
Darrell A
“Nice quaint Hawaiian house.”
Reviewed 24 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

I have stayed there twice and have enjoyed the hospitality. It is very convenient near downtown Hilo. I plan on staying there in the future.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
24 Aug 2016
Mahalo Darrell for you visit. Looking forward to hosting you again.
Laurelyn...
“GREAT PLACE, WALK TO HILO, EASE, FULLY EQUIPPED, LOVELY HOSTESS”
Reviewed 22 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Easy walk to downtown Hilo, short drive to airport, safe neighborhood

Fully equipped and fun kitchen to enjoy, many antique treasures adorn this comfortable space.

Several nooks for choice of privacy. Hostess is available and full of information but not intrusive.

I loved the atmosphere. I'll be back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Overall atmosphere privacy, garden view and kitchen.
Liked least: Croque frog noise at night
Travelling group: Solo
Friends getaway Older travelers
23 Aug 2016
Mahalo for your visit. You were a pleasure to host. Please visit again.
1125Rock
Salinas, California
“If Privacy is important don't book here”
Reviewed 17 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Booked here for my Mom and myself and sorry we did. mom was sick the first day there. So she wanted to rest that day she was sleeping and Kawehi came in 4 times and woke my mom. Then we were lead to belive she was in a house in the back of the property but it is all together and widows are open with just a curtain so she can hear everything. No privacy and she has lots of rules and for someone with all These rules she text my cell at 6:30 am to ask if we wanted more baked goods she is very invasive did not enjoy that.

24 Aug 2016
To my viewers, please look at all of the other wonderful reviews. It is unfortunate that this guest did not appreciate this lovely guesthouse. It was problematic from onset. They booked and cancelled several times. Upon arrival, well before the check in time of 3pm, the mother in her 80's was very combative and daughter, caregiver, kept arguing so it was embarrassing and difficult to check them in. I live in my own separate house on estate and it is advertised as such. The only shared space is the covered carport in front of the guesthouse and I access it through a private area. There was no listening of conversations as daughter suggests.....ridiculous......and I did not disrupt mother 4 times. The daughter was away all day so how would she know, nor was I invasive. Guest privacy is respected. The mother and daughter were very rude throughout their stay. They did not respect the property. My house rules are very simple, typical of all vacation rentals and BnB's in Hawaii, and they blatantly disregarded all rules. The fans (7 throughout the house) AC and lights were left on 24/7...even while they were out. I even found the refrigerator door wide open when I went to pick up the trash. On the 4th day, they broke the toilet seat and claimed it was broken when they arrived. If that is the case, they went 4 days without using the bathroom....I changed the toilet seat at no charge to them. The screen doors were left open 24/7. There was absolutely nothing I could do to please them. When I suggested to turn off lights, AC and fans when they left, the daughter became very defensive/defiant. When they checked out they forgot their tote bag and it was filled with my complimentary amenities. They raided my complimentary supplies. I waited for them to return to get this tote bag but that would have been too embarrassing. Tripadvisor does not allow hosts to review their guests. I hope this response helps viewers. I think this guest would have been better situated in a handicapped hotel room. I want to assure viewers that this is a lovely guesthouse. I love sharing it with my many visitors and I will continue to be the gracious host that I am. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Richard J
Kapolei, Hawaii
“Perfect retreat in Hilo”
Reviewed 18 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Our son recommended that we stay at the Hale Kawehi when we came over to Hilo for his graduation so we booked three nights and wish we had the forethought to have booked more. This is a very lovely home, with plenty of room to entertain guests either inside in the large living room, oversized kitchen, or TV Room "parlor" or outside on the spacious lanai. The garden with burbling water features and melodic wind chimes quickly erases any stress you might have. Like most places in Hilo, the Coqui frogs can be a bit of an irritant, but with a full container of ear plugs in the bedroom, even the lightest sleeper should be fine. If you are looking for a place to stay and enjoy Hilo away from the bustle of town (OK, Hilo is not all that busy) while being only minutes from the city center, Hale Kawehi is an oasis of serenity you won't want to miss.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Calm and relaxing place to stay.
Liked least: Nothing, Hale Kawehi was fine in all respects.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Older travelers
25 Aug 2016
glad you enjoyed. Visit again.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing