“Perfect setting”
Review of Ponds

Ponds
Ranked #22 of 265 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The restaurant sits right on the water. It made for great atmosphere. The decor is mid-century style Hawaiian and was just what we were hoping for. We chose two specials that included seafood with a Mexican flair. Great choices. It started with a potato leek soup that was perfect. If I ever make it back to Hilo I'll definitely stop by again.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Douglas A

Reviewed 24 March 2018

If this was a 'cheap eats' place I wouldn't comment, but we brought Honolulu friends to show them Hilo' s answer to fine dining. It was lobster night. The salad was wilted, the croutons stale--okay den, it's just the salad. Then came the very expensive lobster tail--I thought I was eating a rubber duck--for realz. No wonder the waitperson, dug out--he knew it was junk too, he knew better than to stop by with the standard 'how is everything ' question and I realize now the poor thing had been trying to give us the hint when we were ordering (sad when the staff can't get behind the chef). Later my husband made a comment that the lobster was tough and had no flavor and he never complains, so trust me it was bad. I don't plan on going back because I don't want patronize a place that has the nerve to charge so much money for food they know is terrible which makes everything else they might serve suspect. Go have drinks, eat cheesecake, smack in some escargot and enjoy the view but No Eat The Rubber Ducky Lobster!
P.S. My husband said giving this review would generate bad karma, but if this saves other people disappointment and motivates management to try eat some their own food and see what I'm talking about, then it can only be good. Thank you.

Date of visit: March 2018
2  Thank Judith B
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Ate here last night. Great menu selection and reasonably priced. Had a table by the window and got a cup of pellets from the waitress to feed the carp in the pond below. Guy playing guitar and singing made the night. Friendly staff. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Suzanne B
Reviewed 7 March 2018

We ate at this restaurant. Very Good Food. They have a dish called Thai Style Clams that come with bread. It was excellent. The fresh fish was terrific!! Homemade dressings for the salad. My traveling partner not a fan of salad and ate salad the next night. The entertainment was great and site by the window. The restaurant sits on salt water pond on the outside and a koi pond closer to the building. It is across from the Hilo Seaside Hotel.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

One of the things I love about Ponds is their Koi pond just outside the windows. They have a full service bar and evening entertainment. Never had a complaint about the food I ordered. The scenery is not bad either as it overlooks Reeds bay (part of Hilo bay).

Date of visit: July 2017