“One of the best weeks of our lives”
Review of Red Rock Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Red Rock Ranch
Reviewed 30 August 2017

My wife and I spent a week at the Red Rock Ranch as a birthday present for her. We both agree that this has been one of the best vacations we have taken. We were notified before leaving from Doug (the manager) that there was no phone signal. This turned out to be great to disconnect from the world, nagging phone calls, text messages and social media and just to enjoy the beautiful scenery and activities that had been planned for the week. There was a land line and local internet available in the lodge for guests.

The ranch is in a valley, surrounded by mountains and crossed by a crystalline creek with plenty of trout. The atmosphere is not only great for adults but for children too. The setting is stunning. There are really no words to describe the beauty and tranquility of the ranch and no photo could do justice.

When we arrived at the ranch, we were met by Allison (the yoga instructor) who showed us around and to our cabin. Or luggage was delivered by Doug and introductions were made. Our log cabin, was very comfortable, warm, clean and with great views.

The staff is extremely efficient paying close attention to every detail and providing a personalized experience for all the guests. It was first name basis from the time we arrived and we felt as if we had known them for a long time.

Doug oversaw the ranch operations, was very personable and a great manager. His wife Addie made some great desserts and took many photos of our week on the ranch and provided us with the photos at the end of our trip. Emily, the head wrangler, talked to us every evening about the next day rides and accommodated all our personalized preferences. Our hiking guide, Collier, showed and advised us about the hiking trails. The food was fantastic and a great wine and alcohol selection was available.

The ranch offers many trail rides to your expertise, great hiking, massages, cookouts in the wilderness, fly-fishing, yoga, star gazing that is out of this world, and square dancing, which I didn’t know what it was but turned out to be a blast. There were 2 nights around a camp fire with songs and guitar music. There is even a children’s program that was great as well. It was awesome to see how much fun the children had each day and how excited they were.

We rode horses, hiked, fished, enjoyed great meals, made many new friends, and had great times in all the activities. We looked at the horizon, the Crystal creek, the Tetons, and the ranch from 3000 feet above.

We left the ranch with great memories, new friends and we do plan to go back next year. My only regret is not knowing about this when my kids were younger. They would have loved this wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GabrielL105

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Red Rock completely surpassed our expectations. We took our two grandsons (9 and 10) who have never been very interested in horses or riding. They had a blast. The wranglers were so patient and helpful. The boys loved the ride to the geo site, the lake and the family breakfast rides. When they weren't riding horses, they were racing on bikes, playing pickle ball or tether ball or playing games in the kids room. The pool and hot tub were so refreshing at the end of the day. They made friends with the other children and miss them already.
My husband and I (experienced riders) were thrilled with the highly technical trails and beautiful views. The wranglers aren't afraid to spend 6-8 hours on the trail if you choose. Half day rides are available also. The horses are all fit and well maintained.
Ranch Hand classes are offered several times a week and I had a blast working with cows. I had no idea team sorting was so much fun.
The food is first class and there is plenty of it. Crab stuffed peppers and bison steaks one night. Barbecue salmon, brisket, sausage and chicken with six side dishes another night. Several desserts with every meal. If you're looking for a healthy vacation, salads, fruit and low fat options available at every meal. We didn't attend but other guests loved the yoga classes and massages.
We have 10 more grandchildren and look forward to more summer visits to Red Rock Ranch with them.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Red Rock Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Bambi, Thank you for sharing your family with us, we had a wonderful week with you all. We look forward to the next group of Grandkids !! All our best. Doug

Reviewed 14 August 2017

I stayed 5 days for a horsemanship clinic and could not have had a better time. This ranch is obviously dedicated to providing a wonderfully enjoyable stay. The buildings and grounds are well-kept, staff is efficient, friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive, food is delicious, and the horses are well-cared-for. The one I rode was a great match for me. This ranch is also a conservation property with a good fishery and opportunities to see many types of birds and animals. I herd of pronghorn greeted me as I arrived. I very much look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: All views are very nice. Just provide information about what you'd like to have.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Douglas H, General Manager at Red Rock Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Anpeytu, We thoroughly enjoyed having you spend the week with us durng the Clinic. It was a wonderful week, lots of great memories and new "tools" to use in the tool box for horses. Hope to see you again. Doug

Reviewed 13 August 2017

My wife booked Red Rock Ranch a year ago after hearing about it from some other friends. Frankly, I think the name got mixed up with another place because none of our friends were pictured in their annual guest books dating back to 2008! However, we had a wonderful time anyway.

1) Our kids were a little reluctant about going on this trip. They are 14 & 11 respectively. A clear sign of how great this place was is the fact we barely saw our children during the day, from breakfast until dinner. They were kept busy in the kids program (lots of time on horses!) and made many new friends that they preferred to hang out with and play with outside all day. Both children sealed the deal on what a great family trip this was by asking if we can come back again as we were preparing to check out this morning. They also exchanged instagram info with most of the other kids and some of the younger wranglers. Bottom line is this was one of their best family vacations ever!
2) My wife and I also thoroughly enjoyed Red Rock. We did travel with another family from our town so had their constant company which was very much appreciated. However, by the end of the week we also knew and constantly mingled with all of the other families/adults present. As result, like our children, we also made many new friends. (There were about 30 guests that involved families and a few others that were there for a Martin Black week long clinic.) The ranch is very horseback riding oriented so we decided to ride every day. Some days were half days and I also did one full day ride. Highlights were a top hand clinic that involved moving cattle (kind of a cattle herding 101) and a team penning competition on the last full day at the ranch. We also did a fly fishing clinic the first day that was fun and know some other experienced fly fishermen were able to thoroughly enjoy going out on their own on daily basis. We know they found plenty of fish!
3) Staff was fantastic under the leadership of General Manager; Doug Hare & his wife; Addie. The owner Carolyn Stimmel & her husband Harley were also constantly interacting with the guests + Carolyn taught my favorite clinic for the week (aforementioned Cattle Herding 10!1!) The wranglers were all great. We spent a lot of time with Daniel & Anna. Daniel is an authentic cowboy and was a pleasure to ride with & converse with. Anna is a bright young woman who proved to be a jack of all trades between her wrangler responsibilities and from time to time helping out in the main lodge. Emily (Head Wrangler) provides excellent leadership to the wranglers. The servers were fantastic and an unexpected surprise was hearing Shelly sing one night. She has a true talent a belongs on something like the Voice! Coco is an extremely personable young bartender and leads day hikes. We also spent some time talking to John the Chef & Joemac, son of he owners, but also lead fly fishing guide. They were both a pleasure to spend time with. Loved Allison's yoga classes and she is another bright young woman. Almost forgot that my kids loved Zach and Chloe who were the wranglers leading the youth program for the week. There are a number of others names I left out here who were also great. However, we just didn't get the opportunity to interact as much with those other staff members. Nevertheless the entire staff gets 5 stars from us!
4) Food was great and more than ample. One of my suggestions is that they should add a small gym here (weights, perhaps some cardio equipment; albeit, if they had a few more decent bikes one could easily bike outside for exercise & of course there are also ample places to jog/run) to work off some of those calories (didn't feel like trail riding was really accomplishing that).
5) Other: Only other recommendations would be I wish that there had been more opportunities to learn more about riding for those of us novices desired advancing beyond being passengers on trail rides (perhaps offering daily private and/or group lessons at various levels). Trail rides for me were great (very scenic & at times challenging) but reminded me a little of what happens to me when I play golf (which is sporadic at best!). Often, I feel like just playing "9-12 holes" is enough vs "18" because i the game can be slow. I had the same feeling about trail rides. I enjoyed them to a point but would have preferred getting the opportunity on a daily basis to be more actively involved in riding the horse (even though I'm a beginner). That's why I loved Top Hand and the Team Penning!

In summary, Red Rock is a fantastic, family oriented working Dude Ranch that is owned and operated by a family that truly values family, the outdoors and providing first class hospitality!

Room Tip: All cabins are spacious and similar from what we saw. Keep in mind the place has no cell service an...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Red Rock Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review, it was a pleasure having your family join us for the week. And thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the entire experience. We hope to see you again !!

Reviewed 27 June 2017

I just spent the past week with my family (wife, 2 kids, 10 and 12, and mother-in-law) at Red Rock Ranch. There are so many positives, and I hope the following captures most!

- The People. The staff at Red Rock Ranch were friendly, cheerful, pro-actively helpful, kind, thoughtful and fun!

- The resort. The cabins were clean, and very comfortable. The main Ranch house had a wonderful main room, dining room, and separate areas for kids and adults as well.

- The food. Lots of wonderful choices, home baked goods, BBQ, fresh fish caught in the local river, and breakfast cooked to order!

- The location. Every where we turned was a post card picture. At one point I felt like I was looking at the snow capped Austrian Alps from the Sound of Music, the next the red rocks of Sedona, AZ.

- The activities, besides beautiful trail rides (1/2 and whole day), fly fishing (lessons available), "top hand" riding lessons, there were also beautiful trails to hike, "pickle ball" courts, a beautiful pool with very nice jacuzzi, Square dancing, and music around the camp fire,

Red Rock Ranch is a great destination for families, groups, couples and just about anyone that wants to get in touch with their inner cowboy or cowgirl.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: RRR only has about 30 guests at a time, every cabin is in a great location with wonderful views!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ericgE255MG
Douglas H, General Manager at Red Rock Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

We had a wonderful week with you all, thank you for sharing your family with us. We look forward to welcoming you all back some day soon !! Doug

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
30.8 km away
Goosewing Ranch
#1 of 11 in Jackson
32.3 km away
The Lodge at Jackson Hole

Been to Red Rock Ranch? Share your experiences!