“Romantic perfection”
Review of Amangani

Amangani
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is our 5th time traveling to Jackson Hole for winter skiing. We usually have a group of friends traveling with us but this time it was just me and my husband. We decided to 'upgrade' and stay at the Amangani. We have always heard such great things about it and wanted to see first hand if it held true to all of the hype. I can personally say that Amangani takes 5 star service to a different level. This place has the entire package plus some, from the landscape, views, decor, spa, customer service, etc. We were blown away. We have stayed in other 5 star resorts but nothing can compare to the Aman resorts. They treat you like you are family. I am on a gluten free diet and they went out of their way to accommodate my diet restrictions for every meal. Gluten free meals can be quite drab but the chef made the best meals I have ever eaten. My husband who is not gluten free enjoyed every single meal as well. We chose to eat at the hotel for basically every meal because it was so delicious and also because we loved being able to eat next to the fireplace for breakfast, lunch, and dinner while looking at the Tetons. It was truly romantic. The wait staff were always on point, especially Michael. He always went out of his way for us and made our meals that much more romantic. The rooms are amazing. The floors are heated for those cold and windy days. Our bathtub was was amazing. I filled it daily and gazed at the Tetons. After skiing all day we always soaked in the hot tub and then went into the steamroom. The spa is beautiful and and has a very tranquil feel. They picked us up from the airport in a BMW X5 and was offered hot hand towels that were soaked in essential oils. The hotel had a snowboard rental company meet up at the hotel for fittings and then they took them to the amangani lounge so we did not have to lug around anything. We took the shuttle to and from the ski lifts every day. The lounge is right next to the main lift. They have hot tea, cocoa, water for free. If you want a beer or wine or snacks they have a menu you can order from. It can get a little busy in the lounge during peak times. The bathrooms were always clean. The shuttle only leaves at certain times so sometimes you have to sit and wait for 30 min plus in the lounge. We were always used to walking straight to our ski in and out hotel. But when looking at all of the extras and the atmosphere of the Amangani... who cares. :) It is truly an amazing hotel. We now are looking into other aman properties to visit. It is pricey but you definitely get what you pay for and then some.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jaworld

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is one of my favorite hotels anywhere. The rooms and design are gorgeous. It's isolated but worth it for the view. A lways a heated pool even in the snow. Lovely spa. DELICIOUS meals and beautiful common spaces. One of the most gorgeous rooms I've ever stayed in, with a wrap-around balcony and views from the tub -- you can't help but love this place.

Room Tip: Since the trip is a splurge already, splurge for the nicest room you can get. We had a large room w...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The setting is almost as beautiful as the facility itself. It's just enough rustic to be in Jackson
Hole and just enough perfect to be a 5 star, 5 diamond facility. The views of the Tetons, the view of the infinity pool, the impeccable and friendly service, the phenomenol spa -- all make this as close to perfect as can be! Comfortable, warm, with your very own fireplace -- you'll never want to leave!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank STB424
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I were in desperate need of a getaway. We have little time to get away as we have very young children. When we do go, we tend to stay for 4-5 days at a place where we feel completely taken care of. I did a lot of research to find a place stateside that would satisfy that need. I found it in the Amangani. We arrived in the midst of a snow storm and were diverted to Idaho Falls. This had happened to my brother and his wife a couple weeks before so I assume it's not beyond the realm of norm. Thanks to a wonderful local contractor, we were able to make our way to the hotel that night in from the Idaho Falls airport. I must tell you, if you go in the winter. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! It was a harrowing and dangerous 3 hour drive in complete white-out conditions. Just stay the night in Idaho Falls and go to Jackson the following day. We would have been stranded if it weren't for our new-found local friend whom we gave a ride.
When we arrived at the hotel, the entire staff was waiting for us with a hot supper in front of the fire. As our luggage hadn't made it and we had a dog-sledding reservation the following morning, a couple of the staff generously loaned us clothes so that we could go. Admittedly, the borrowed clothes were hipper than anything we brought.
All of the restaurant recommendations made by the hotel were right on. Our favorite was the Rendezvous Bistro in town. For a really special dinner, we also ADORED the Snake River Grill--particularly the onion rings.
I agree with all the other folks about the driving. I hate to have one single misgiving about the hotel but I do think that we would have unknowingly racked up a steep bill if we'd taken the hotel transport every time we went somewhere. Use Cowboy Cab for sure. (307) 413-1000. We loved them. That said, the cars from the hotel are cushy and nice if money isn't an issue.
Also, must say the massages were uneven. Mine was actually not good at all, verging on the worst I've ever had. Hate to say it. My husband, however, had a great one. My brother and his wife had the same experience: one great, one awful. Do your due diligence to get the right practitioner.
Breakfast at the hotel is delicious. Dinner is good but go out more than stay in, I think. Rooms are low key but well appointed. Spring for the corner room with the wrap around windows.
This place is wonderful. The staff is beyond excellent. We hope to go back. Worth every dollar--and there were a lot--spent.
We really liked the dog-sledding but it is FREEZING cold, particularly on the feet. Do everything you can to go with the most high-end outfit and book way in advance. Half-day is plenty. Also, the cross-country skiing though the park is terrific.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on an upper floor. You want a corner. They are much more sunny.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Henrietta2
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I write this review after returning from a 2 night stay here this past week. I tagged along on my husband's business trip where he was put up at the hotel by another company. So I have a bit of a different experience because the entire hotel was rented by this company. However, I did experience the hotel and if you want relaxation.. this is it! I came in on a late flight and the hotel picked me up at the airport. While originally told the cost was $50 for the transfer it was actually $75 when we got our bill. However when you are up for almost 24 hours you don't care and want nothing more to find a bed. The driver was young and nice and got me to the hotel safely where another staff member greeted the car and took my bags from there to show me to the room.

The rooms are VERY relaxing. I am not sure how you cannot relax here- with the lighting, the decor- it was a minimalist/spa/asian inspired and they even had a spa type music in the CD player playing when we go to the room. The heated floors throughout and in the bathroom were a nice touch- especially with a winter stay. The hotel provided slippers and a robe which was nice, especially to walk down to the spa and pool area. There is a mini fridge/bar that housed a few drink items and snacks. While not super expensive, keep in mind they add on a service charge on top of the price. My husband ate in the restaurant and said it was very good. We also had breakfast room service the morning we left which was also delicious.

The staff was very discrete but also felt like they led you to believe that things were included but you were actually charged for. For example there is an iron in the room, and my husband needed to press his shirt, and the staff said they would be very glad to take care of it.. several times... which led my husband to believe it was included. However when we received our bill, we were charged $15 for someone to iron his shirt when we could have easily done it. Cab rides to and from town are pretty expensive- I believe $40 each way. We called Flying J taxi and they charged $20 each way and were very fast. If you are there more than a few nights, I suggest renting a car. The hotel is up a butte away from town and away from the ski area. So just be aware that while things may appear to be included, they are in fact not and they will show up on your bill. The staff divides all tips which is something to keep in mind.

Overall it was a very relaxing stay for such a short trip. I can imagine the views from the hotel are amazing on a clear day. If you are looking for quiet, relaxation and service, this is the place for you-- as long as you can afford it. I would say I would return, however I cannot afford the price, but was grateful for the opportunity to experience the Amangani.

Room Tip: All rooms are good as there are only 40.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank trvlbugmd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
10.4 km away
2.8 km away
The Wort Hotel
The Wort Hotel
#10 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!