“Worth the green”

Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Worth the green”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I were in desperate need of a getaway. We have little time to get away as we have very young children. When we do go, we tend to stay for 4-5 days at a place where we feel completely taken care of. I did a lot of research to find a place stateside that would satisfy that need. I found it in the Amangani. We arrived in the midst of a snow storm and were diverted to Idaho Falls. This had happened to my brother and his wife a couple weeks before so I assume it's not beyond the realm of norm. Thanks to a wonderful local contractor, we were able to make our way to the hotel that night in from the Idaho Falls airport. I must tell you, if you go in the winter. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! It was a harrowing and dangerous 3 hour drive in complete white-out conditions. Just stay the night in Idaho Falls and go to Jackson the following day. We would have been stranded if it weren't for our new-found local friend whom we gave a ride.
When we arrived at the hotel, the entire staff was waiting for us with a hot supper in front of the fire. As our luggage hadn't made it and we had a dog-sledding reservation the following morning, a couple of the staff generously loaned us clothes so that we could go. Admittedly, the borrowed clothes were hipper than anything we brought.
All of the restaurant recommendations made by the hotel were right on. Our favorite was the Rendezvous Bistro in town. For a really special dinner, we also ADORED the Snake River Grill--particularly the onion rings.
I agree with all the other folks about the driving. I hate to have one single misgiving about the hotel but I do think that we would have unknowingly racked up a steep bill if we'd taken the hotel transport every time we went somewhere. Use Cowboy Cab for sure. (307) 413-1000. We loved them. That said, the cars from the hotel are cushy and nice if money isn't an issue.
Also, must say the massages were uneven. Mine was actually not good at all, verging on the worst I've ever had. Hate to say it. My husband, however, had a great one. My brother and his wife had the same experience: one great, one awful. Do your due diligence to get the right practitioner.
Breakfast at the hotel is delicious. Dinner is good but go out more than stay in, I think. Rooms are low key but well appointed. Spring for the corner room with the wrap around windows.
This place is wonderful. The staff is beyond excellent. We hope to go back. Worth every dollar--and there were a lot--spent.
We really liked the dog-sledding but it is FREEZING cold, particularly on the feet. Do everything you can to go with the most high-end outfit and book way in advance. Half-day is plenty. Also, the cross-country skiing though the park is terrific.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on an upper floor. You want a corner. They are much more sunny.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Henrietta2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Maryland
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I write this review after returning from a 2 night stay here this past week. I tagged along on my husband's business trip where he was put up at the hotel by another company. So I have a bit of a different experience because the entire hotel was rented by this company. However, I did experience the hotel and if you want relaxation.. this is it! I came in on a late flight and the hotel picked me up at the airport. While originally told the cost was $50 for the transfer it was actually $75 when we got our bill. However when you are up for almost 24 hours you don't care and want nothing more to find a bed. The driver was young and nice and got me to the hotel safely where another staff member greeted the car and took my bags from there to show me to the room.

The rooms are VERY relaxing. I am not sure how you cannot relax here- with the lighting, the decor- it was a minimalist/spa/asian inspired and they even had a spa type music in the CD player playing when we go to the room. The heated floors throughout and in the bathroom were a nice touch- especially with a winter stay. The hotel provided slippers and a robe which was nice, especially to walk down to the spa and pool area. There is a mini fridge/bar that housed a few drink items and snacks. While not super expensive, keep in mind they add on a service charge on top of the price. My husband ate in the restaurant and said it was very good. We also had breakfast room service the morning we left which was also delicious.

The staff was very discrete but also felt like they led you to believe that things were included but you were actually charged for. For example there is an iron in the room, and my husband needed to press his shirt, and the staff said they would be very glad to take care of it.. several times... which led my husband to believe it was included. However when we received our bill, we were charged $15 for someone to iron his shirt when we could have easily done it. Cab rides to and from town are pretty expensive- I believe $40 each way. We called Flying J taxi and they charged $20 each way and were very fast. If you are there more than a few nights, I suggest renting a car. The hotel is up a butte away from town and away from the ski area. So just be aware that while things may appear to be included, they are in fact not and they will show up on your bill. The staff divides all tips which is something to keep in mind.

Overall it was a very relaxing stay for such a short trip. I can imagine the views from the hotel are amazing on a clear day. If you are looking for quiet, relaxation and service, this is the place for you-- as long as you can afford it. I would say I would return, however I cannot afford the price, but was grateful for the opportunity to experience the Amangani.

Room Tip: All rooms are good as there are only 40.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank trvlbugmd
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This place is away from the crowds with stunning view and offers total tranqulity. My daughter was impressed with the welcome ballons/confectionery. The bathrobe and slippers were exactly her size!!! We especially enjoy the library. Staff members are friendly and attentive. They all knew us by our first names after less than one day. I left behind my cell phone charger during my visit. After just one phone call, they told me they found it. And to my surprise, they send it back to me in a package FREE of charge the next day. Yes, this is a pricy hotel but with the spacious room, breath-taking view, and friendly staff, it's well worth the price. Think about it this way, you could easily paying a much higher rate in a tiny hotel room with no view no service in New York or Tokyo.

Room Tip: every room offers great view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bibi t
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Pricey for sure but a great spot.

It's been reviewed in depth here and in general I agree, so I won't go on for too long.

One reviewer did comment that it was expensive to get a car down to town. Call Tim at flyingtaxi.com... The cheapest fare of a bunch of companies I called ($20 each way).

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Slong89
Houston
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I went for a weekend break. As expected everything was perfect. Amans' take great care to expect and satisfy a guest's needs. Service is main concern for all employees. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. The food is gourmet but there is also comfort foods like cheeseburgers and chili. The view (when not covered by clouds) is amazing. Of course, ski shuttles are available for those interested. Or you can sit in the outdoor Jacuzzi and relax.

Room Tip: Suite 8 has one of the best views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SBF2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
10.4 km away
2.8 km away
The Wort Hotel
The Wort Hotel
#11 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!