“Best Dude Ranch Vacation Ever - Amazing holiday”
Review of Goosewing Ranch

Goosewing Ranch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 September 2017

That place is truly a slice of heaven! Too bad I can only give 5 rating points. My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Ranch so much! The location is amazing, breathtakingly beautiful, the staff is amazing, everybody did such a great job! All is so well organized! The food was great, very accommodating even with my vegetarian diet. The activities offered were fun, there was no boring minute. And not to forget the horses, the trail rides - wonderful - when you stay on top of a mountain and think - is this really true - such great adventures, such amazing countryside. Would love to go back! I think all guests had a wonderful and fun filled time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatBurl1

Reviewed 18 September 2017

This Ranch is a real gem with the full Western experience yet all the amenities you expect on vacation. The food was "elevated" homestyle cooking. Family style dining was really delightful. Great bar! Activities after dinner are part of the charm. The main event of course, is the horseback riding. The trails are expansive and cover very diverse terrain. The views everywhere take your breath away. I was an accomplished rider as an adult, mostly English. It took awhile to get back to Western riding. The beginner trails are challenging so be prepared. The staff is exceptional from wranglers to wait staff and management. Had a great massage too! The cabin looked like something out of decorating magazine. Set your alarm to get up after the moon has moved for the best light show of a lifetime.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 4 August 2017

My daughter and I recently visited Goosewing Ranch and had the time of our lives! The drive out from Jackson was breath taking. It's a long haul out, but you pass all type of geological master pieces and end up to an area that feels like the real wild west. We arrived to a very welcoming staff, a clean and comfortable cabin and the running of the horses at sunset. Our six year old daughter was beside herself, watching all 70 horses sprint across the acreage with the river and mountain range behind. The ranch is very organized and has a central lodge for all of the guests to meet up, dine, play games and sign up for activities. The tables switch seating every few days which is a brilliant way to meet the other visitors on the ranch!

We can't say enough about the food. It's simple, but outstanding. Lots of choices per meal and all were hearty, fresh and very appreciated. The chef even made whip cream for our daughter to have on top of the chocolate chip pancakes. THANK YOU. All of the servers were friendly and took the time to get to know all of the guests.

The ranch itself is giant and very well laid out. The barn is a short walk and the horses are well taken care of. The ranch hands are very focused on safety and getting all of the guests out on incredible rides. We really enjoyed getting to know each wrangler and appreciated how accommodating they were to all ages, riding levels and requests. The penning was really fun for both my daughter and myself and the daily 2 hour rides were nothing short of breath taking!

Each cabin is allocated with a Ranger for your personal use. There are endless roads, trails and areas to explore at your convenience. We had a blast packing up a small lunch and visiting the river, the lake and the overlooks per the staffs recommendations. Our daughter loved this part of the trip and we would love to have explored more of the area if we hadn't spent so much time on the horses!

Francois, the owner was on site during our visit. He was working hard every day and you could see the passion he holds for his ranch. All of the staff are kind, well trained and incredibly helpful. They have activities organized throughout the day you can choose to participate in or not. Our daughter did just about anything offered and we fell into bed every night exhausted and thrilled.

This is a top notch family location with international guests and a full suite of offerings. If you can afford the cost and the time, we would suggest staying for at least 4 nights. We booked for 3 and were heart broken when it was time to leave, really wishing we had at least one more night a wonderful location.

Thank you to the entire staff of Goosewind Ranch for providing a top notch visit and experience for us. We loved all aspects of our adventure and hope to get back next summer!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We visited a ranch with another couple. The men were interested in horseback riding, but the ladies were interested in the spa experience which is one of the reasons we chose Goosewing. To our chagrin the spa was a small cabin with an acting massage therapist. The horses were beautiful and there were a number of different ride options. The other activities also fell a little short, the flyfishing was done in the yard, and the archery equipment was rather outdated. The young people who were conducting the activities and serving the food were very accommodating and efficient which made the experience better. The food was adequate, but not gourmet, however the breakfast were really great.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Goosewing Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Thank you for visiting us at Goosewing Ranch and taking the time to post a review. We do take all feedback seriously to help us continue to grow and improve.
You are correct when stating that we are not a spa ranch, nor do we advertise to be one. We offer massages in some of our packages, but that is in addition to all our riding and activities, not because we are a spa. Yes, we do have great horseback riding and I am glad your husbands were able to enjoy that.
Goosewing Ranch is a remote guest ranch where we specialize in western hospitality, western activities, and western ranch food.
Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

I had planned this trip for my son and I, while my husband was on business, 6 months in advance and thought I had done my research quite well. I had not. Through no fault of my own, because I believed their website. Are trip was suppose to be a 5 day (although we chose to leave one day early). Upon arrival, and according to their itinerary page on their website, we were just given keys to our room, a very generalized map of the mountain area outside the ranch, and a cheap plastic water bottle, to be used during your entire stay- if you forget to fill it, you don't have water. No complimentary bottle here. There was no roping lesson, in fact there was not even a wrangler who knew how to rope. Their arena was not even equipped with the roping boxes or a stripping chute (so roping has never gone on here). None of their horses could even be roped off of (roping was a huge point in our choosing GooseWIng, as my son is a roping fool - he could have given the lessons). There is no team penning - team penning requires 30 head of cattle and different pens for which to place 3 steers. GooseWing has 7 tired corriente steers, that you can push up to where they eat if you so desire. The cattle have done it a thousand times, and you could do it a foot. As for the pool, it is not heated and they close it a 6:00, which is ridiculous in a place where the sun is up until 9:00 - but no matter, it is not heated, and unless you like very cold water, you are not going swimming. You must uncover/ and then recover the hot tub if you choose to use it. And as for the Sauna, not only did I not even see one, no staff knew what I was talking about. It may have been there, but I could not find it and neither did any of the other guests. There is no Wagon Ride - that is just a complete fabrication (or something they are thinking of adding, but not available at this time). As for the picture of the fire-pit - I do not know where that picture was taken, but that is not at all what the fireside looks like. The actual fire-pit is a small, cramped little space off to the side of the lodge. The kids are able to roast marshmallows, but there is no Mountain man, No poetry, and No fireside dancing. Dinner by the River - Never happened, never even offered or an option. When they say spa treatments, there is no spa - there is the lodge manager, who supposedly does the massages - she always seemed grumpy, so I chose to pass. I am not even sure where they would do a massage? As for fly fishing, in the Gros Ventre, their is no "guided fishing" allowed. So you get a fly casting lesson in the lawn, and then you may purchase some "flys" and then you are on your own to go fishing. No guests caught anything in the time we were there (I don't blame this on the lodge, it is just not located in a prime trout fishing area, according to locals). We did do kickball, and that was fun, but no line-dancing, no Poker, and no pool tournaments. I am not sure how you could do a pool tournament, as the pool table is located in the loft of the main lodge and is very small, cramped, dark and muggy., The ATV's were fun for a bit, but mostly it is just driving on dirt roads, you cannot just go and explore. Two of the families while we were there had their ATV's breakdown while out on excursion, luckily someone drove past them and brought them back - if not, it would have been quite the hike to the lodge. If you do go, make sure to remember your Bug Spray, the mosquitoes are EVERYWHERE come evening and their very limited guest shop does not sell it (which seems ridiculous to me) thankfully our wonderful neighbors let us borrow theirs. I still came home with 13 bites. Once again, I am not blaming the Ranch for the mosquitoes, I do however think they should offer bug repellent. The rides were such a let down, none of the wranglers are from Wyoming, there fore no one could give any history of the Gros Ventre, the wildlife (of which we did not see), the foliage or any other facts. We would just ride in silence until finally I began talking to the other riders and making conversation. No wrangler ever offered to stop for picture taking, or offer to take your families pictures. And don't forget your plastic water bottle or you will have nothing to drink. The riding tack is old and very poorly taken care of. The horses themselves are in quite good shape and well fed. Our rooms was cozy, but the bedding is old and needs replacing. The bathrooms are tiny, tiny, tiny. Which makes for interesting mornings trying to get ready in the morning. Had it not been for the 3 wonderful other couples we met, one of which we are going to get together again next summer (at a different location) this would have been an almost complete failure as a vacation. Like I stated prior, we left one day early, not even asking for any money back, just were so ready to leave.

Room Tip: think summer camp cabins, and you won;t be dissappointed
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Renee B

Thank you for the time you spent with us and the time you took to write a review. We take all feed back under consideration and hope that it will allow us to grow and improve the next's guests experience.
I will only make a few comments and explanations regarding your feedback as to keep it short and to the point. There are many things in your review that just don't add up to me. We encourage all seeking a guest ranch vacation to contact us directly to ensure Goosewing Ranch is the right fit for you and your family.
We experienced extreme snow fall far above average this past winter, which resulted in extreme flooding of the Gros Ventre river and other areas all around the ranch and valley. We lost about 5 acres of land to the river flooding, including our shooting area, some buildings, and numerous trails. We are doing our best to offer all activities, amenities and rides after this destruction. So, if there were activities that we adjusted this is the reason. However, all activities were offered during your scheduled stay.
The guest ranch vacation is a unique experience. We are not a working ranch and we don't claim to have roping steers, chutes, horses, or cattle drives. Being that you were booked through a travel agent we never had the chance to speak with you directly and describe our ranch, riding, activities, amenities, and programs to you. You might have been better suited at a working ranch. Perhaps this should be brought up to your travel agent opposed to us.