“Disappointed!”
Review of El Mezcal

El Mezcal
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The phone number for this restaurant is (715) 845-9100.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had eaten here a few time several years ago and enjoyed it, so when we were looking for a place for dinner we decided to go back. We arrived at about 4PM on a weekday. The place was less than 1/2 full.

What used to be a pleasant place with good food and service seems to have turned into a noisy, busy, place with bland spicy food and mediocre service.

Our server came very quickly, took drink orders and brought our drinks fast. Then seemed disappointed that we weren't ready to order. He went away to give us time to decide, but didn't come back for a long time. When he did we ordered after requesting a couple of changes (no guacamole, no onions on my wife's enchiladas).

Our order came in a reasonable time, but then he disappeared until we had finished and were waiting for a check.

I love Fajitas and ordered the chicken fajitas. The onions and peppers were done well, but the chicken was so overcooked it was hard and dry. The menu says they feature their "shredded chicken" but mine was in lumps of smaller pieces cooked till they were hard. The beans and rice was ok, but kind of liquidy and bland.

My wife ordered the shrimp enchiladas. What she got was 3 flat cheese enchiladas and a handful of shrimp smothered in a thick brown spicy goo. It was described as "Ranchera sauce", but it wasn't like any ranchera we had ever seen.

I've seen other reviews that say "The best mexican food in the area". I've eaten Mexican food all over the country, and cook some very good food myself, but if this is the best in Wisconsin Rapids then I'd say, "Go to another town".

We won't be back!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I may be a bit prejudice on this review, because I really like this place. The service, the quality of food, and the prices have always been satisfying for me. I like everything, from the chips & salsa, to the main course meal. The margaritas are just ok though. If...they made them from scratch instead of margarita mix, they would be that much better. But I would recommend this place 7 days a week.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I eat here every time I am in town and the quality has gone down significantly. I ordered a taco salad and it was horrible. There was hardly any lettuce and it was buried under beans and chewy chicken. It was so bad I couldn't eat it. It was a soggy mess. Hopefully the quality will improve.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

Just been back to this restaurant after a gap and I'm pleased to see that it's kept up the standards very well.
The staff are delightful, so friendly, polite and helpful. That should be taken as read, but these people went over and above what was necessary to make guests feel welcomed and well-served.
The food was extremely good and very filling. Complimentary chips and salsa are home-made and so much better than anything from a supermarket.
I'll definitely be back, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Reviewed 13 November 2017

One of our favorite places to eat. The food is amazing! The staff is great. If you are in a hurry, the service is super fast. There are times we have our food to the table in 10 minutes from ordering. The variety is great, there is something for everyone.