“really peaceful”

White Rose Inns
Freeport, Illinois
“really peaceful”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We loved our stay at the Sherman house. Our room overlooked the Wisconsin river. The breakfast that is included for the B&B was wonderful. We loved sitting outside on the hill overlooking the river. It was a very peaceful experience and we would do it again! Location was perfect. With only one block to downtown Dells, you could park the car and walk everywhere down town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Michigan
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My son and I visited the Wisconsin Dells, and stayed at the White Rose Motel for two nights . We liked it there, however, the rooms in the motel did not have telephones. When I checked in, I didn't know this, so when I complained to the office, the woman there seemed amazed that it would matter to me--she said that since everyone uses cell phones now, the phones aren't needed. (I have an older cell phone, and seldom use it, except in emergencies. I was disappointed not to have a phone in the room.) I asked if there was a phone anywhere that was available for the guests to use, and she said that there was not. She did permit me to use a phone in the office area to let my family members know where I was staying. This was nice of her, but I really felt like there should be a phone designated for the motel guests to use at any time somewhere on the property.

However, aside from the phone issue, I would recommend this motel to anyone who wants a pleasant, quiet location, away from the crowds. We parked our car at the motel and walked to many of the downtown attractions. This was very convenient, especially since the parking is free here, yet on the streets downtown there are parking meters. The rooms were very clean, and the beds were quite comfortable. We used the pool during the afternoon one day, and it was clean, warm, and well-maintained. There were numerous chairs and tables around the pool, too, for those who want to sit outside and relax.

The motel is located behind an attractive bed and breakfast, and the motel guests are invited to eat breakfast on the patio area, but this is not included in the motel room rate--motel guests are charged extra to eat the breakfast. It is convenient since there are not many places to eat close by, but it is only served between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., so the time period might not work for everyone.. We only tried the breakfast once. Although we were seated and waiting to place our orders, two guests who arrived after us were waited upon before us. It may be because they were guests of the bed and breakfast, instead of the motel, or it may have just been inattention on the part of the server, but it was still frustrating. When we finally got to place our orders, I ordered quiche and my son ordered a fruit plate, yet it took over twenty minutes to get our food. The food was good. If you're in a hurry as we were, though, it might be best to go somewhere else to eat.

Overall, this is a nice place to stay. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in a clean, comfortable place. There's nothing fancy about it, but the price is reasonable, and the location is excellent. If I go to this area again, I would stay here without any hesitation.

Room Tip: They have handicapped accessible rooms. If you have trouble with stairs, be sure to ask for a room...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Skye9988
CT
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We were impressed by the friendly staff, cleanliness, beautiful room, convenient location, tasty breakfast and relaxingly quiet stay that was reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BudandEllie
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed at the motel after family recommended it and I'm glad we did! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly and the location was amazing! We traveled with a toddler so considering it was only a block to the downtown strip saved us a lot of hassles! The rooms are old but very clean and the pool was warm and clean! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Hruha
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for the weekend in the "Gardner's Room" and had a great, relaxing time. The room was spacious, clean and up to date. I had mentioned it was our anniversary when I booked and there was a bottle of champagne in the room when we arrived! A very thoughtful extra. The property is walking distance to downtown Dells which took away the frustration of trying to park downtown! Breakfast both mornings was delicious and enjoyed on their beautiful patio. We had a great time and would love to go back sooner than later.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple