All reviews sweet surprise fond memories new management whirlpool room front desk hot tub quality inn wausau area pool area hmong merrill hbo minneapolis tv hampton
Reviewed 29 October 2018

My wife and I were visiting both of our families in the Wausau and Merrill area. I work in Chicago and have seen several eclectic hotels in UP and Green Bay area. We were there for two days and absolutely had blast. Instead of our families taking us out for a drink we chose to go bring them to the hotel and drink at the bar. Heather - bartender was as good as a bartender can be. She mixed some cocktails that were hard to find in out neck of the woods.
For the hotel, yes they seem to be older but the size of their rooms is unbeatable. My wife could do yoga while I was using my computer on the study table. Breakfast as good. Connectivity towards Merrill and Wausau downtown was very convenient. My brother - in - law mentioned he got married at the Plaza Hotel 7 years ago. So may be they do everything.
I am sure going to visit the granite peak ski area this winter and I know where I am going to stay.

Room Tip: Bar, Large Rooms
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2018

Rooms are clean, they have fresh towels, HBO to catch up with my favorite shows and a nice pool to take a dip after coming from my construction project. I was in Wausau area for a project that lasted about 2 months. Plaza hotel provided weekly rates with good breakfast. They offer rewards for frequent flyers. I booked the hotel from their website. So I got 5% off on top of the rates they offered me. Having a bar and bar food onsite helps for people like me.Good selection of liquor and local beer. I was able to catch some good MLB games.

Room Tip: Clean rooms, attentive staff
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2018

We were in town to renew our vows. A friend suggested us to go to the Plaza's bar. And what a sweet surprise. The bartender was amazing. Then when we checked out the rooms, they offered us a suite. Whirlpool tub was awesome. We wake up in the morning with hangover and head down to the breakfast area. We were greeted with handmade eggs, sausages and homemade pound cake.
Overall, it was a great experience especially when we didn't even had a plan to stay here.

Room Tip: Our suite overlooked the city from the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theresa W
Reviewed 27 October 2018

At first the hotel didn't seem so bad. The price was right $130 for 2 nights. I was in town for a conference. I choose this hotel for location is was within 2 miles of all the things I had to do.
During my stay I had to get my room key reprogrammed 2 times. My TV didn't work. I called the front desk about it they said they would come and look at it, no came. I just let it go. The second day after showering I found out that my body towels where all bath mates, my bathmate was a hand towel. They don't enforce the pool hours very well I had to call the front desk to have them tell the people to leave they were playing loud music and being loud. Also the when I came back one night there were people being arrested out back where I was to park my car. Breakfast was okay I have completes about that. I won't stay there again, I do have to return in 2 years for another conference. I will be paying more for another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Megan S
Reviewed 25 October 2018

While my room didn't have any dead bugs, the patio door is bolted shut "for safety." The front door had to be pulled/pushed/adjusted for the card reader to work to open the door (At least they warn you of this with a nice little label-maker label). It also had to be slammed hard to latch, and the latch plate was very loose. At least there was an extra bolt (using the same questionable latch plate), and a chain. The door does not sit level to the floor leaving a large enough crack under the door for a child's arm to fit through. At one point in the middle of the day my room keys were randomly deactivated. While waiting for the key to be fixed, I was treated to the staff storming in and out of the desk area, yelling at each other, and one desk clerk ignoring the waiting line of people at the desk. The residents hang out loudly in the lobby, which is right outside the conference room door. Even with the door closed it was very noisy inside the room from the people outside. Everything was very dated, carpets are dirty, stairwells are steep and open into storage areas with miniature signs pointing you to the lobby. The only pleasant thing was the breakfast. The nice woman in the breakfast room was meticulous about wiping down surfaces, cleaning tables, keeping the breakfast area clean and well stocked. Her kitchen space that was periodically visible was also clean. The catered food was decent, and the food staff all appeared to be clean, and were all polite. The desk staff were mostly bored, rude, or outright lied (i.e. you'll have to talk to the manager - but he WAS the manager) to guests. My company has put this hotel on its "do not stay here" list. With all the choices in the area, there is no reason to stay here unless you really don't care about your experience at all. There was a minifridge in my room, but it stunk horribly, and hadn't been defrosted in ages.

Room Tip: Just avoid it, but if you have to stay, the tower seems to be slightly better than the rest of the place.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business