“Who would sail on a day like today”
Review of Sonny's Pizzeria

Sonny's Pizzeria
Ranked #14 of 89 Restaurants in Sturgeon Bay
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 29 October 2018

My wife and I were on a late season trip to Door County. We visited Sonny's on October 27 and it was a little windy and cold, but the mood inside Sonny's was warm and inviting. We actually hadn't planned on visiting Sonny's but we got a little lost (I know I should have asked for directions) on our shopping trip and decided we were hungry when we saw Sonny's. We got a great table in the bar area by the windows and watched while a hearty individual took their sailboat out on the bay. Out waiter got us drinks in a very quick manner and was really friendly. We just wanted something lite so we ordered the "Munchie Basket", when it came it was anything but lite. In fact we couldn't eat it all. It did take some time to get our food, but between the view the atmosphere and the courteous wait staff we didn't mind. I guess not asking directions this time paid off.

Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

Our family went to Sonny's for lunch today. When we got there, and we were immediately seated. After about 10 minutes, we were still waiting for someone to greet us, and bring water, and take a drink order. A large group of college aged girls ( about 15 people) arrived, and were seated at tables near us. Within a few minutes, that had water, and were placing their orders. My son went to the hostess, and asked if we could get some service. A few minutes later, a waitress came over, and asked if she could take our drink order. I told her that we had been waiting for over 15 minutes, and were ready to order our food. She apologized, and said that a large group had come in unexpectedly. I told her that the group came in 5 minutes after us, and we didn't even get water yet. She mumbled something, and stormed off. She came back with a drink, taking it to the table next to us, not even looking at us. Another waitress finally took our order, and also acted cold, although not blatantly rude like the first waitress. Our food finally was served, and was good, as it usually is at Sonny's. We live in Sturgeon Bay, and have been customers at Sonny's, since they first opened as a carry out only place, in the back of the family's gas station. The current location, is the 4th Sturgeon Bay location they have been in. Although the food had been of a consistent good quality, I've never had such rude and slow service anywhere. If one waitress was having a bad day, I understand...but walking away from a customer and being so rude, is unacceptable. To make matters worse, the second waitress only provided minimal service, not even returning to refill out water glasses. I don't have an issue with having their food as carryout, as I enjoy the food...but I think it will be a while before I eat in their restaurant.

3  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 21 October 2018

We had dinner there our first night. The portions are too big and high priced. It would be better to have half the portion for half the price. My husband didn't like the sauce he got on his pasta. It was not as described when he ordered it. I was given a plate of lasange that could have fed 5 people. Took a long time to get our food. Our waitress Laura was friendly and nice. We probably won't go back though. Wasn't worth the $45.00 we spent for 2 meals and sodas.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

We stopped in in a recommendation, and their lasagna did not disappoint. They warn you about the large portions, and it should be heeded. We split the lasagna, and both got the salad, a few drinks, and some mozzarella sticks. We were very full, and satisfied.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

The salad bar had a limited selection but was exceptionally fresh. Same with the dinner buffett - limited selections but what they did have was very good. Waitstaff was friendly and not overbearing. Good food & service along with a scenic view made for a great dining experience.