“Disappointing experience from beginning to end. Wasn't made to feel welcome other than by the cat.”

Victorian Garden Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monroe
Victorian Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Monroe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Stayed for one Tuesday night in the Rose room on business travel. This was my experience:

Requested by the hostess to call prior to arrival but the phone was busy continuously. I was later told it had been "left off the hook in the laundry room". It happens.

No one there when I arrived. Called the number as instructed by the sign on the front door and was told they'd be here in '5 or 10 minutes'. The fact that it was cold, dark and raining wasn't adding to the experience very much but hey, these people have a life and it happens.

The room is small which is fine but is so crammed with large pieces of furniture that you aren't able to easily move around the room. There was a microwave and fridge in a little nook of the room but access to that area was blocked by a giant heavy chair. Maybe there was bottled water in the fridge, I wondered? Wish that I could move that chair to find out but there is no where to move the chair to even if it wasn't so cumbersome.

Every available surface has a rose-themed knick knack on it requiring having to move things to be able to set personal items down. People traveling need places to set their things down that aren't covered in knick knacks, dust or cat hair, please.

Noticed a pitcher and drinking glasses and asked Tia about getting some ice water. I was told there was "certainly water available from the tap" but she'd see what she could do about ice. When I returned from dinner Tia had a large and heavy glass pitcher of water ("there's your ice water and your receipt" said the voice from some other room) sitting on the check-in desk for me to carry up the stairs to my room. I had to set the pitcher down on the floor (much to the interest of the cat) so that I could unlock the door to the room while also trying to keep the cat from drinking out of the pitcher on the floor.

At least the cat was attentive.

Both drinking glasses in the room were dirty as in an actual piece of something stuck in the bottom of one and a hazy, opaque something in the bottom of the other (gross), but thankfully there were some tiny Dixie cups in the bathroom. Couldn't some bottled water be provided as a courtesy, please? You are charging 130.00 a night, couldn't you put a couple bottles of water out somewhere?

Found an empty candy wrapper as well as thick dust behind the rose-themed pitcher and bowl that I had to move from the dry sink to make a place to set the pitcher of water down.

There was dust on most furniture and cobwebs in several corners of the ceiling. The carpeting was stained and dirty and the remedy is apparently to put more rugs on top on the carpet, but still the dirtiness of the carpeting is kind of gross. I wondered if it had been vacummed?

The attached sitting room was also dusty and cat hair was present on the upholstery. Also the desk that I had hoped to work at, was the size of a plant stand and was covered in candles and doilies and whatnot so I just closed the door and gave up on working in there on my computer. This was the best room for being able to work on the computer according to the hostess on the phone. Also the most expensive room.

It was hot and stuffy in the room and thankfully a window was able to be opened (and propped on a stick nicely provided by someone) but I had to pick the stick off the inside window sill which was entirely full of old dirt and dead bugs and yuck. That was really gross and I don't think the windows have seen soap and water for a while.

The shower was clean (if the shower had also been dirty it would have been the final straw) and the water hot and plenty of towels (although one towel had a long hair which wrapped around my fingers when drying off). No courtesy shampoo or conditioner so make sure to bring your own. There was a small sealed body wash bottle, wrapped hand soaps and a container of homemade body scrub (I think) but it wasn't sealed and I'm not sure who would want to use it, actually? Like, who has had their fingers in there already? Plenty of decorations also in the bathroom and no place to set much down on the small marble sink top so my hanging toiletry bag really came in handy. Also, the decorative mirror in the bathroom is the only one in the whole room (forget checking your outfit before you go) and it is so small. I don't know why anyone would provide such a teeny mirror for guests to use?

The stairway carpeting was overdue to be vaccumed and there was an odor in the hallway. It wasn't an odor of 'clean' either. I'm sorry I'm not trying to nit pick or be unkind, but they are charging people to stay here and it smelled.

The tv in the room is a small, old Goldstar tube tv and the provided remote worked the cable box but the TV had to be manually operated, luckily I wasn't interested in watching tv. Next to the (dusty) tv was a small basket with some snacks consisting of the adult equivalent of the bottom of the halloween candy bucket. Like if there had been good stuff it was gone and this was left over....a long time ago. Not enticing.

Breakfast is served at nine and I told Tia when making the reservation that I had to leave before that. She said that a 'continental breakfast' would then be provided and she listed some of the things they offered. Continental breakfast was not mentioned again and as I was leaving in the morning there was no sign of said continental breakfast and no offer of it either. Rather a sleepy looking Tony did ask if I wanted "some coffee" He didn't say "you don't want any coffee, do you?" but that is pretty much how it felt by this time.

Why wouldn't you try to somewhat cater breakfast times to your guests (especially when there is ONLY ONE GUEST) and not yourself when you are advertising bed and breakfast? But you charge for Breakfast and then don't supply any if the guest can't be there when it works for you? I've never run into this in any other B&B.

Lastly, as far as ambiance goes, the whole house was super decorated for halloween including an outdoor ghost light that shone on and moved across the front of the house every 15 seconds or so, including the window to my room. It was my companion all night long. It wasn't a super bright light but it was a light and it was shining directly across the window every 15 seconds all. night. long.

Boo! (15 secs) Boo! (15 secs) Boo! (15secs) Boo! (15 secs) Boo!.......

I shared with Tony in the morning that this light was sort of annoying and he thanked me for sharing that with him as they like to get input.

?

I'd be less disappointed if this experience had cost 50.00 instead of 130.00? Totally not worth it IMO and other than the attention of the cat, I was more of an afterthought than a guest to Tony and Tia, frankly. I've never had any kind of experience like this in any B&B that I've stayed in. Even if this is not how it usually is (and I have a hard time understanding how that could be true), I could not recommend this place to anyone.

I was surprised by my experience compared to other reviewers and I was really looking forward to staying there, but that was my first and last stay at the dusty and expensive Victorian Garden Bed & (no breakfast) Breakfast Inn.

addendum: prior to posting this I spoke with Tony to let him know about my bad experience and see if there was maybe extenuating circumstances. He basically blamed me for not asking about breakfast, told me the room was not, and has never been, dirty and he's sorry I had a bad experience but he had to go to work and blah blah blah. This was all said with his "sarcasm switch" turned on. His response tells me I need to post this review.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Tia C, Owner at Victorian Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

I have spent alot of time thinking about how to respond to our first disappointing review. Then it hit me. I was spending alot of time feeling sad. It occured to me that I could spend my time refuting every point that Diane made or I could spend my time in more positive ventures. Regardless of my response, she was not going to change her mind. The simple truth in life is that we can choose to see the glass as half full or half empty, the positive or the negative. This is not to say that I give no credence to guest feedback, I do. But sometimes its fruitless to try and change someones mindset. Past positive reviews attest to the fact that we are doing things right at Victorian Garden BnB. As for future guests, if you are unhappy in any way please talk to me and I will do everything in my power to make it right. The trip advisor platform claims to print only unbiased responses in efforts to help travelers "know better, book better and go better." As you go about your life remember that just because its in print does not mean that its an accurate portrayal. My hope in this response is to cause you to really examine the glass and spend more time pondering the half full. Thank you ndeedles, for giving me the opportunity to really look at the glass and reflect upon my blessings. I wish you all peace.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We just stayed for one night. Great B&B with a fantastic breakfast. The outdoor hot tub was so nice. The only thing you may need to watch for is the owner has a cat and dog. I'm allergic to cats so was a bit stuffed up. Still very nice and would stay at again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

This welcoming B&B is just blocks from the downtown square, with plenty of dining and shopping options. If you enjoy biking (as we do), it's a half mile from the Badger State Trail. It's an easy one-mile walk from the cheesemaking museum (check it out!) and county welcome center. Along the way you'll notice some restored older homes with wonderful character.

Tony and Tia are gracious hosts who have no qualms about letting you store food or beverages in the kitchen refrigerator. The hot tub in the back yard is always ready and waiting. The wraparound porch offers many relaxing seating options to chill out.

Our room (White Lace) had a bathroom large enough to land a plane. Bed was very comfortable, book-ended by handsome antiques. Breakfast food and coffee was plentiful and exceptionally tasty.

Great experience in a charming town. We'll be going back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you Rick for staying with us.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Stayed one night at the Victorian Garden B&B and it was a nice stay and perfectly adequate plus very affordable. We were in the Ivy Room which was a little on the small side. The room has some large furniture pieces in it that make it quite cramped, but the bed was comfortable. The owners are very nice and friendly and breakfast was good - yummy crispy bacon and fresh fruit among other things. It does get served at 9:00am so if you want an early start you might have to ask if they can make other arrangements for you. The house itself is a real charmer, but the common area where you can watch TV is also shared by the owner and their family. We didn't watch TV, but it might have been a bit odd to sit down with them especially if there was something in particular you wanted to watch. I must comment on the Wifi - the fastest wifi we have ever experienced!!! Even better than we get at home!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WHERESWAUGH
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Tia, a most gracious hostess. A fun person to talk to, not pushy. The bnb is a wonderful experience with just a lot of things to explore. The Ivy Room, our room, was so well furnished and a most comfortable bed, lots of pillows. Very quite at night. The entire house was spotless. The next morning, Tia served a very delicious surprise breakfast. This is her specialty breakfast and the only was to describe the meal is for one to spend a night at this historic Victorian house. Thank you Tia!!

Room Tip: Any room would be a delightful experience.