“What's not to like!”

Simma's Ovens Bakery
Ranked #2 of 17 Bakeries in Milwaukee
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

I have been a fan of this bakery for over 25 years. Of course it is famous for their cheesecake and wedding/special event cakes. But I'm going to write about their morning buns and danish.

The morning buns are delicate yeast dough swirled around and around with cinnamon sugar between each layer. They must have a glaze on top when they are baked because the outside has a bit of crunch and chewiness. Absolutely delicious. Just St when you are sure you could never eat the whole thing, it suddenly disappears.

Today's newer bakeries like to use puff pastry and twist it around, glaze the top and add a filling and then call it a danish. Well that's an easy and cheap way to go if all you want is a dry crunchy flakes of puff pastry. But when I want a real danish, I want a moist, yeasty dough with some substance. Then I want it filled with fruit or nuts and finally frosted, not glazed. Simms's danish is substantial and made in the old tradition. They never disappoint.

In the past they have made mini versions of these for my brunches. Just call ahead.

For the record their cheesecakes and tortes are also to die for!!

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Simmas is by far the best cheesecake in my opinion ever! I live close to the bakery and love stopping in when I need a pick me up or that perfect special treat. Their regular cake is awesome and, since they remodeled their storefront, the daily options for purchase are impressive and vast. Defiantly a fav of mine and many people in the area. I had them do my wedding cake 10 years ago and people still rave about it. I am always glad to tell them where they can get the same recipe any day!

Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

We ordered a classic cheesecake for a graduation party. It was beautiful, and so were all the pastries and muffins. We bought a dozen of those, too. Our daughter and her friends relished them for breakfast, and the cake was the perfect ending to a special graduation party!

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Stopped in to buy a birthday cake or something for a dinner tomorrow night.We got the cheesecake shown in the photo covered with the chocolate ganache with the blue and pink flowers. Outstanding cheesecake! We cut it into six slices for six people and to much for each but no one left anything on the plate. Nothing but Good Eats here!! Check out their Bakery!!
PS Check it out before or after eating some great eggplant and pizza just across the street! Balistreri's Italian Restaurant, the best!

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Looking for the "Land of Milk and Honey"? You will find celestial cheesecakes and divine morning buns at Simma's Bakery. Of course, you will find many other heavenly delicious dessert items and wonderful wholesome fresh baked bread there too, but it's nice to know you can always find a little slice of "Heaven" at 68th & Wells in Tosa.