“Where's the chicken?”
Review of The Anchorage

The Anchorage
Reserve with OpenTable
The Anchorage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 1,593 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The redesigned Anchorage restaurant and River's Edge Lounge uses high quality locally sourced ingredients to enhance all their dishes.
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

I come here monthly for my organization's meeting and for a few months I haven't said anything about the new menu, but after craving my favorite boneless wings in all of Milwaukee for so long and being without, I have to say something. The service at the bar is the best around. Brian is friendly, attentive, and goes above and beyond to make sure everything is to your liking. It's because the service is so excellent that it's hard to want to make it in time for happy hour since the food selection is much smaller than what was previously offered and noticeably lacking is the beat offering of all: garlic parmesan boneless wings. If there is only one change made to this restaurant, let it be the wings making a grand return. I assure you it'd be a welcome sight!

Reviewed 15 December 2017

The breakfast buffet was great and so was the service provided by Kevin and the three ladies who worked in the morning- Thank you from the guest from Texas

Reviewed 5 December 2017

We have been coming to your hotel/restaurant for many, many years as a part of our annual Christmas shopping spree at Bay Shore. Before the remodeling, the Anchorage was one of our favorite restaurants. It had charm and ambiance that has been completely stripped away. Still, we came back because the food was always excellent, although the atmosphere was lacking. Not this time.

We had dinner reservations at 7:00 p.m. We finished shopping early, so we went to the bar at 5:00 p.m. to enjoy a couple of cocktails. At 6:00 p.m. we decided to go in to the restaurant, as it did not appear busy. There was a couple at one table and a party of 5 or 6 at another, and that was it. There was no one to greet us at the host/hostess station, so we waited about 5 minutes before the waitress came through and just told us to take a seat anywhere. We sat in the corner with a nice view of the river and patio. After telling us that she would be right there, we waited until 6:35 before she took our order. We both ordered the perch, one with tater tots and one with veggies. My husband ordered the New England Clam Chowder to start and I ordered the Red Snapper Soup. At 7:00 p.m., my husband went to get another drink at the bar because our waitress appeared to be juggling orders at the bar and room service orders. She did not stop back to check on us at all. Even a short explanation about the delay and an apology would have helped. We were perplexed as to why we couldn’t at least get the soup? At 7:15 she brought out two plates of food. The fish looked just like Mrs. Paul’s frozen fish sticks. It was definitely not perch. The brussels sprouts and tater tots were cold. The only thing warm on the plate was the cold slaw, and it had the consistency of mashed potatoes. It was awful. We never got our soup. By this time, I am upset, and I went to speak with the bar manager about our experience. He handled the situation beautifully. He offered to comp our meals (which were relatively untouched) and he would ensure that we would receive hot food to order. He apologized for being short staffed, and that there was no manager-on-duty to talk to. We sat in the bar and ordered food once again. We did not want to attempt the Friday Fish Fry again, so my husband had a hamburger, which was mediocre at best, but it was warm and so were the tater tots which he gave another chance. I ordered the salmon BLT with a mixed salad. Both were good.

Based on our experience, we will not be back. But I thought you should be aware so that these things can be corrected and other guests don’t have this kind of miserable experience.

4  Thank Kim B
Reviewed 3 October 2017

My girlfriend an I went to this restaurant for an early lunch on a Friday. The waitress was adequate enough, if a bit distracted. It seemed as if the staff was working harder at setting up for a later event than concerning themselves with the current guests. With a name like the Anchorage we were expecting a good selection of seafood. The only thing on the lunch menu that could be considered seafood were two salmon dishes and a tilapia dish. The only thing that looked safe to us was a Southwestern chicken with a "spicy" sauce. Unfortunately, the sauce wasn't spicy at all, I would say it was mild at best. The chicken was so dry and hard we had a difficult time cutting it, even with the serrated knife the restaurant supplied.

The dinning room itself was fine, if not a bit on the sterile side, It did have a nice looking patio right on the Milwaukee river.

2  Thank Jeep2k
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Went with several family members for breakfast and the staff was very accommodating. They had a $12 breakfast buffet or you could order off the menu. The restaurant is clean and efficient. The food was very good. All in our party ordered the buffet except me. I asked for a substitution and they were happy to do it. The service was great even though they were getting crowded. Will go there again if in the area.