“The tradition is over”
Review of The Anchorage

The Anchorage
Reserve with OpenTable
The Anchorage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 1,574 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The redesigned Anchorage restaurant and River's Edge Lounge uses high quality locally sourced ingredients to enhance all their dishes.
Reviewed 5 December 2017

We have been coming to your hotel/restaurant for many, many years as a part of our annual Christmas shopping spree at Bay Shore. Before the remodeling, the Anchorage was one of our favorite restaurants. It had charm and ambiance that has been completely stripped away. Still, we came back because the food was always excellent, although the atmosphere was lacking. Not this time.

We had dinner reservations at 7:00 p.m. We finished shopping early, so we went to the bar at 5:00 p.m. to enjoy a couple of cocktails. At 6:00 p.m. we decided to go in to the restaurant, as it did not appear busy. There was a couple at one table and a party of 5 or 6 at another, and that was it. There was no one to greet us at the host/hostess station, so we waited about 5 minutes before the waitress came through and just told us to take a seat anywhere. We sat in the corner with a nice view of the river and patio. After telling us that she would be right there, we waited until 6:35 before she took our order. We both ordered the perch, one with tater tots and one with veggies. My husband ordered the New England Clam Chowder to start and I ordered the Red Snapper Soup. At 7:00 p.m., my husband went to get another drink at the bar because our waitress appeared to be juggling orders at the bar and room service orders. She did not stop back to check on us at all. Even a short explanation about the delay and an apology would have helped. We were perplexed as to why we couldn’t at least get the soup? At 7:15 she brought out two plates of food. The fish looked just like Mrs. Paul’s frozen fish sticks. It was definitely not perch. The brussels sprouts and tater tots were cold. The only thing warm on the plate was the cold slaw, and it had the consistency of mashed potatoes. It was awful. We never got our soup. By this time, I am upset, and I went to speak with the bar manager about our experience. He handled the situation beautifully. He offered to comp our meals (which were relatively untouched) and he would ensure that we would receive hot food to order. He apologized for being short staffed, and that there was no manager-on-duty to talk to. We sat in the bar and ordered food once again. We did not want to attempt the Friday Fish Fry again, so my husband had a hamburger, which was mediocre at best, but it was warm and so were the tater tots which he gave another chance. I ordered the salmon BLT with a mixed salad. Both were good.

Based on our experience, we will not be back. But I thought you should be aware so that these things can be corrected and other guests don’t have this kind of miserable experience.

4  Thank Kim B

Reviewed 3 October 2017

My girlfriend an I went to this restaurant for an early lunch on a Friday. The waitress was adequate enough, if a bit distracted. It seemed as if the staff was working harder at setting up for a later event than concerning themselves with the current guests. With a name like the Anchorage we were expecting a good selection of seafood. The only thing on the lunch menu that could be considered seafood were two salmon dishes and a tilapia dish. The only thing that looked safe to us was a Southwestern chicken with a "spicy" sauce. Unfortunately, the sauce wasn't spicy at all, I would say it was mild at best. The chicken was so dry and hard we had a difficult time cutting it, even with the serrated knife the restaurant supplied.

The dinning room itself was fine, if not a bit on the sterile side, It did have a nice looking patio right on the Milwaukee river.

2  Thank Jeep2k
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Went with several family members for breakfast and the staff was very accommodating. They had a $12 breakfast buffet or you could order off the menu. The restaurant is clean and efficient. The food was very good. All in our party ordered the buffet except me. I asked for a substitution and they were happy to do it. The service was great even though they were getting crowded. Will go there again if in the area.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

We ate at the Holiday Inn bar which is part of The Anchorage restaurant. The restaurant was closed for a wedding. The food was poor. We ordered the fried chicken sandwich. The chicken was way over cooked and it was cut in half and served on 2 tea biscuits. The biscuits fell apart when we attempted to eat the sandwich. The waiter said the chef knew the buns wouldn't work but since the right ones hadn't come in they just used what they had. Really? How is this ok? We decided the next night we would just have an appetizer. We arrived at 6pm and did not know it had been happy hour until 6pm. The bartender asked a couple at the bar if they were going to order from the happy hour menu and they declined. I told him I would like to and he said sorry it was over. I have no problem with not ordering 1 minute after happy hour was over but it is very poor service to offer it to one couple and not another. We will definitely not go back to the restaurant.

1  Thank lovetravel7711
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I are always pleased with our dining experience at The Anchorage, located in the Holiday Inn on Port Washington Rd at Milwaukee's north end. We make it a point to stop here for lunch or dinner whenever we drive up to Wisconsin for getaway time. The bright, airy dining area with river views and the friendly staff really enhance dining here. This time we had lunch at the mid-point of a trip to Door County. We usually enjoy the fried calamari as our appetizer but this time we tried the lightly breaded "popcorn" cauliflower and the restaurant's signature red snapper soup. Both are items we'd definitely order again. My husband ordered his burger with bacon and an egg; it was cooked medium rare--exactly as he ordered. I can't say enough about my choice, the salmon BLT with avocado. I finished the delicious "side," a fresh fruit cup, and took the other half of the BLT for a late-night snack. Sometimes I miss the seafood dinners of the "old" Anchorage (one of the few places that served my favorite fish, sand dabs) but this lovely new setting is definitely a pleasant one for a delicious lunch or dinner.