“Very Charming Irish Pub Serving Great Food & Drink”

County Clare Pub and Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 1,593 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: USD 1 - USD 16
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: County Clare is located 10 minutes walk from the Milwaukee Art Museum and Irish Fest grounds. Our Irish themed restaurant has won several accolades over our 15 year existence.
Reviewed 12 April 2017

I went here with a business travel companion as he has family from County Clare, Ireland, visits there regularly, and he was curious about this place. I'm kind of indifferent about Irish restaurants, so I felt I was kind of just along for the ride. We ended up enjoying a great meal and Irish beer. I trust my friend when he said it was very authentic based on his visits to Ireland. We learned this pub and inn are owned by Irishman Rip O'Dwanny who owns other such establishments and organizes trips to see Ireland. I had the Cottage Pie, which was fantastic. I think the difference between it and Shepherds Pie is that the Cottage Pie has shredded beef instead of the lamb. I've had Shepherds Pie a few times before at other Irish restaurants, and it always seemed to be kind of bland. This was super flavorful with lots of meat and served super hot the way I like it. My friend got the fish and chips. It looked great, and he, too, said it was excellent. His also was served while very hot. Lots of Irish beer and whiskey choices. Highly recommend. Prices were very reasonable.

1  Thank Joe I

Reviewed 28 March 2017

We spent a Sunday night in March at the County Clare. The price was right and the property had everything that we desired. It was walking distance to downtown and the Milwaukee Art Museum (10 to 15 minute walk). We had an amazing time eating sheperd's pie, pot roast and the perfect Pint of Guiness. The bar/restaurant was truly a sight. We enjoyed sitting at the window taking in the sights with good conversation. The room was clean and spacious. The whirlpool tub was a nice touch. It was nice being able to go downstairs to enjoy a pint or 2 before calling it a night. We noticed that the bartender and the waitress from earlier in the day were hanging out at the bar as night customers. It must be a great place if the staff want to be a customer too. Great people, great food, great memories. We found our Milwaukee hotel. thanks!

Reviewed 22 March 2017

We stay here every year during Summerfest. The staff is amazing and attentive. Very personable. The food is outstanding. Drinks in the pub are great. The Bloody Mary's are artwork. You can sit outside and watch people go by. Rooms are clean and comfy.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

We have been choosing County Clare as one of our go-to's for Milwaukee dining literally since it opened. While there have been days where some elements left something to be desired, which can happen to the best of us, the entire experience this past Saturday was just awful. We arrived at 5:45 which should be the height of a dinner rush but were surprised to see that there were empty tables, even on St. Patrick's Day weekend. We were seated immediately next to a drafty window (my husband who NEVER complains even said he was cold) where we sat for almost 10 minutes before being approached by our server to take a drink order. Because we had a show to catch at the Riverside, we placed our drink, appetizer, and dinner order all at once when she finally showed. Part of our drink order arrived promptly; we waited nearly 20 minutes for my husband's Guinness...and yes, we know a properly poured pint requires time, but not that long. Our server was nowhere to be found on the floor so we flagged down the hostess who got our server who then admitted she had forgotten it altogether. We watched several other tables around us who had arrived after us receive their food and drink promptly. Nearly 40 minutes after placing our order, our food arrived. My Reuben was cold (cheese not even melted) and soggy while the potatoes were just out of the fryer hot. I had asked for a side of sauce for the sandwich, which was also forgotten. My husband's corned beef and cabbage was also cold, skimpy portions, and not at all like the traditional hearty meal that we have been accustomed to getting here. The cabbage and carrot portion of the meal has apparently been changed to an unappealing slaw with little to no interest or flavor. Because everything took so long and our server was so forgetful, we asked for our check and the forgotten side sauce when the food came, explaining to her that we had a show to catch. When she returned with the check nearly 10 minutes later, I still did not receive the additional side sauce and my husband asked about bread which has always accompanied his meal, but was not served to him. He was told there was no bread and had never been, which we know not to be accurate, but that she could add a side of it. This was not even reasonable as it had taken her so long that we had nearly finished our meal at this point. Not once did she ask how the meal was nor did she apologize for the oversights and extraordinarily long delays in service, even though the seating never filled during our entire stay. Since she never returned to claim the check after another 25 minutes, we paid at the bar and had to ask another server for a box for leftovers. While it was clear that the service was the main problem here, we can't help but be alarmed as well by the poor quality of the food and empty tables on a Saturday night. As we walked out, I noticed the piles of trash outside the door that must have been left by St. Pat's revelers from the day before, which certainly could have been cleaned up prior to the Saturday opening. Overall, it was a sad and disappointing experience at a place that has been part of so many of our great memories. Hopefully management will take a look at addressing these issues to encourage and maintain repeat business.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

A wonderful menu and great wait staff. Friendly and comfortable. We were fortunate to have a table near the fireplace and it was lovely. The corned beef and cabbage was excellent and some of the best deserts we have ever had!