“Totally overrated” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Totally overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

This hotel is seriously understaffed at all times. At night, they have one valet that also functions as maintenance and housekeeping. The staff is very nice but I have had to wait for my car to be pulled up as well as call the front desk numerous times before someone answers. All of this makes for a very frustrating visit. My car was pulled up to the valet and left running for 15 minutes before I came down. There should be no reason to let a car run without anyone in it. A waste of gas and horrible for the environment.
Decor is very outdated, gym is super tiny and was filled with over 100 dead flies the morning I went to use it. No exaggeration.
Room was clean and comfortable aside from the cheap pillows but I would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank constance p
HotelMetroMilwaukee, Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Constance p,

Please accept my apologies for the poor service you received at Hotel Metro. We have built our reputation on genuine, caring service and I am sorry that, as a team, we failed to deliver during your stay. I sent you a private message via your TA profile on 04/20 in hopes of getting some additional information so I can address the service issues directly. If you have a moment, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Best.
Allison Geschke
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Racine, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This retro hotel that is located in the heart of downtown Milwaukee and on one of the hottest entertainment and restaurant streets in the area; Milwaukee Street. It has class, distinction and the service and amenities to go with it. In particular we have visited the restaurant and bar on the main floor. They have a fabulous happy hour that feature quality wines, locally brewed beers (not a broad selection on tap...but good ones) and great martinis....or so I'm told as I am more of a wine and beer girl. They feature a happy hour appetizer menu that is reasonable in selection and a great price and varies based on the chief's selection. The is a "certified green" property and they make every effort to utilize local purveyor's and you can taste and feel it in the vibe.

We haven't stayed over night yet but if our initial experiences were this good, we feel fairly confident that the room/amenities will be just as impressive. They also have a roof top bar that is open seasonally and during big city events. We are looking forward to the summer months to experience it as I believe they building is at least 16 to 18 stories tall. Come with your sweetie or with your friends and enjoy. They also feature business and social/wedding planning options...I work for a major company and I'm considering it for an company offsite meeting.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before accepting... We are thinking that's what we'll do as this isn...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GLVB,

Thank you so much for the kind words GLVB! We are delighted to hear you had a nice time in our onsite restaurant, METRO. We very much look forward to hosting an overnight accommodation for you in the near future! Please feel free to contact us directly with any corporate meeting inquiries! We hope to see you soon.
Best,
Allison
Manager
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here recently for business; it was a rare delight to be accomodated in something besides a chain hotel. The very unique decor is delightful. My room was huge, bisected by a curving partial-height wall into "living" and "sleeping" areas. The bed was quite comfortable. Heavy curtains helped mute outside traffic noise, and I slept well. The bathroom and amenities were quite nice. I met several colleagues in the attached restaurant for breakfast and lunch; the food was creative and excellent. I hope to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Fuzby
HotelMetroMilwaukee, Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for the kind words Fuzby! We look forward to your next stay with us. Please feel free to contact us beforehand for any special accommodations or requests!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I really liked this hotel in downtown Milwaukee. The hotel is in an older, historic building, so it does have certain old building issues, Yes, the A/C was tempermental (don't think it got below 75 degrees our first night. I rated the sleep quality slightly lower because of this), the water took its time moving from cold to hot, and the walls are a little thin, but I consider all those "character" when staying in this type of hotel.

The hotel is classy and the rooms are nice and big. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. Not quite a 2 bedroom as the rooms are merely divided and open to the other rooms. So, if you are looking for privacy from children or other people staying with you, you will not have it in this suite. Each room had its own flat screen TV as well as the sitting area. The beds were super comfy and the amenities were top notch. We all loved the bath robes. The hot tub on the top floor with great view of the city was also a favorite. They also have a sauna, but neither us, or other guests, could ever firgure out how to work it.

The hotel has a certain charm because of its retro style and location in downtown. Walking up to the front entrance always reminded me of walking up to an old 1920's era hotel. On weekends the hotel even has its "Metro Taxi" which is an old style car with suicide doors. The cab is complimentary and we enjoyed taking it out to dinner. But its really the staff that "made" our stay. Congrats to management as everyone from valets, bellman, front desk, bartenders, housekeepers, and wait staff were very friendly, patient and helpful. David at the front desk virtually shaped our Milwaukee experience with recommendations on where to visit and dine. The valets at The Metro are up there with the best I have encountered. The food at the Metro Cafe (we ate breakfast and dinner) was really, really excellent.

If you don't mind some old time character, you cannot go wrong wrong with the Hotel Metro. Would definitely stay again. I think the wife and I may make a trip back this summer without the kids!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WildChicago
Thank you for the review, WildChicago! We look forward to having you again in the future!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Loved our stay at Hotel Metro. Plenty of space so you don't feel crammed in a room with a bed. The separate living area with second tv made a huge difference for us. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and roomy too. The only improvement I would suggest is that they work on the lighting. There were a lot of little lamps with very low wattage bulbs and it just felt really dim all the time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelMetroMilwaukee, Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for the review AlsChicago_IL! I will definitely pass on your kind words to our staff. I will also speak with maintenance about your advice to increasing the light bulb wattage. Enjoy your summer and we hope to see you soon!