“Surprisingly good brunch”

Ranked #31 of 110 Restaurants in Middleton
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 22 April 2017

On Easter Sunday we were interested in eating out but not gorging ourselves on an all-you-can-eat buffet. So, we decided to try the Nitty Gritty. We ordered French toast, donuts, and the garden scrambler. The donuts were awesome - hot and crispy and definitely an indulgence. The scrambler was very good! The pesto really complimented the dish. The French toast was just so-so. It was luke-warm and some-what mushy. It didn't seem to have been freshly prepared. In addition, the menu said that it came with whipped cream but alas, it did not come with whipped cream.
Even though we were disappointed with the French toast, I would still recommend you give this place a try for brunch - especially on a game day!

Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

My husband and I met here before it was the Nitty Gritty, so on a trip back to Madison, I thought I'd bring our son here for lunch to show him where the magic happened. I was happy to see the interior largely unchanged.

And just like the Nitty Gritty downtown (where I spent my 21st birthday and many a subsequent one), the food is delish and the service is prompt and friendly. The "extra" shake or malt you get in the can is almost enough to make a whole second shake! Not great for someone with a dairy sensitivity, but totally worth it! And the burgers are all 6 oz, so also worth it for what you pay, in my opinion. Love that you can upgrade any of them to grass fed beef. Only downside was that the burgers were supposed to be medium-well and were served medium. I ate mine, but my teenage son would only eat his fries (probably could have sent it back, but he's weird about that).

Reviewed 16 February 2017

Fries and onion rings were chewy. I ordered the meatball burger, burger of the day, it was a little dry. I should have chosen a BBQ burger.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

I grew up going to the downtown location, but sometimes we prefer the Middleton location. Same Nitty Gritty, different location. Can't go wrong with Cheese Curds and Gritty Sauce. Same for the Gritty Burger. We've gone with large groups and they were able to accommodate us if we call a few days in advance.

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Walking distance from home.
Excellent burger menu.
Great beer selection.
Fun atmosphere.
We are frequent fliers here.

Been to Nitty Gritty? Share your experiences!