“I've Stayed Here for Years”

The Great Northern Motel
The Great Northern Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mercer
Chicago, IL
“I've Stayed Here for Years”
Reviewed 25 August 2006

I've stayed at the Great Northern every year for the last 5 years or so. I think the hotel is about 10 years old. The 80 rooms are spacious and the rates reasonable. We paid $89/night for August.

First, you have to remember that accomodations are at a different standard in northern Wisconsin. The rooms are clean. The rugs could use replacing but are not dirty. The staff is friendly and helpful. The accomodations are not luxurious but OK. If you ask for a lake view, you get a nice view of Lake Santo Domingo. The lake is a decent size for a row boat - about a quarter mile in diameter. It has a pair of loons on it and we have seen blue heron on it. There are paddle boats and a fishing boat with paddles you can use to go out on the lake. You can catch small bluegills and perch along the shoreline near the weeds. My daughter loved it.

The showers/tubs are standard Holiday Inn-caliber. Clean. The shower heads are low but you just bend over a little. You don't get shampoo and soap is bars of Cashmere Bouquet!

Watch out if you use the phone. I used my laptop and called Lac du Flambeau and it cost me almost $20 for two 20-30 minute sessions. It must have been local long distance.

Breakfast is a unique toast bar in the Great Room. That's it - toast. Plus coffee and juice (apple & orange). It is surprisingly OK. Choose the cinamon raison bread - it is the most filling. Like I said - the hospitality standards in the north woods are just different from elsewhere in the country.

There is a nice pool and hot tub that is not used much - you'll probably have it to yourself. There is also a sauna. The bar is standard north woods. I haven't eaten in the restaurant. There is a nice little restaurant across the street that serves breakfast and lunch.

I've stayed here several years and will again. There are very few motels in the area that take less than weekly guests.

The hotel is just south of downtown Mercer.
---

2 Thank chibearbob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Comfort Inn
Days Inn Hurley
Days Inn Hurley
#1 of 3 in Hurley

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Mercer

Been to The Great Northern Motel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Great Northern Motel

Property: The Great Northern Motel
Address: 5070 N US Highway 51, Mercer, WI 54547-9313
Region: United States > Wisconsin > Mercer
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mercer
Price range (per night): $121 - $136
Hotel Class:2 star — The Great Northern Motel 2*
Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring beckon you North to the Great Northern Motel. We're offering fun for the whole family including hiking, fishing, snowmobiling, swimming, and more. You will never get bored! Our motel has 80 rooms available, plus we now offer are very spacious and comfortable whirlpool suite. You'll feel like you're right at home. We include a complimentary breakfast every morning you're with us; and pets are also welcome. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Wotif.com, Hotels.com and lastminute.com.au so you can book your The Great Northern Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Great Northern Hotel