See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 September 2015

Attended a wedding in the area. There was a mistake at the lodge that was supposed to have a block of rooms for wedding guests. Everything else right in town was booked so we ended up here. I will preface this by saying that the hospitality was outstanding. The facilities, not so much. It may have been a nice place once upon a time, but those days are long behind it. Everything, decor, fixtures, furnishings, etc., was extremely dated. Bathrooms were poorly lit, moldy, had tiles filing off the walls, etc. this place is in need of some serious TLC.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
ruth g, Owner at Voss Birchwood Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2015

Thank you for your review. As an historic Old Wisconsin lodge our furnishings are in keeping with the era we represent. We are history and reminiscence...not a modern motel. We represent 107 years of Wisconsin history and advertise as such. There are a few newly appointed motels in the area that I'm sure you would enjoy. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

Beautiful area of the state, many miles of paved trials. The Lodge is a time machine. Now the hospitality out ways everything. Ruthie is one of the most interesting women I have ever met. She is the town historian. I really felt like i was hanging out with my family while i was there, alone on business. I sat around the great room with fire place and just enjoyed the cabin atmosphere, and all the antiques. A very fancy restaurant takes up half of the 1st floor lodge, and they have a small bar and porch.all decorated in hand done birch panels. You can sit out side overlook the river. I actually stayed in a room in the main lodge on the second floor. It was large, and the decor was unchanged for decades, antique dressers reminded me of grandma's house. Large windows over look property, the window's don't have shades just some old curtains. The bed was uncomfortable and hard, but for some reason that didn't seem to bother me because I was taken in by stepping back in time feeling like this was my grandpa's cabin...they have many individual cabin to rent and are quite large. Everyone was so friendly...it was home feeling comfort

Room Tip: i would stay in a cabin, the whole entire grounds are surrounded in pines and birch and it' s a riverfront
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed in the Birches cabin for a long weekend. It is definitely throw back to the 50's, exactly as we expected. The cabin had all the essentials that we expected such as a full kitchen, bathrooms, charcoal grill and electricity. Some of the lighting was very dim or could not find a switch to use and we had a few plumbing issues that we were told would be fixed but did not get fixed during our stay. However, it did not put a dampener on our stay. We were able to launch our boat at Greers, right next door for a $10 fee, and dock it right in front of the resort. There were some electrical outlets for plugging in boats if needed. It was very tight getting a truck and trailer down the trail to the Birches cabin but it was doable as long as there were no other vehicles parked at the end for turning around. This is a lodge/cabin place and not a fancy resort. If looking for a fancy resort with all of the amenities of home then stay elsewhere. The chain of lakes is great for water sporting as well as fishing. Wish we would have had a few more days here.

Stayed: June 2015
1  Thank benrud3
Reviewed 24 September 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a two room, one bedroom cabin (Sleepy Hollow) overnight on our way to Bayfield. It was very cozy. The location was right on Spider Lake. The grounds were very nice. The owner Ruth was very accommodating. Some cabins had full a full kitchen. I could easily see spending a week here in the summer with a family or group of friends. You can imagine yourself back in the 1930's vacationing here to escape the summer heat of the city. The only negative is the towels were a little skimpy although we didn't ask for more - just made due. This is located about 3 miles from The Little Bohemia restaurant. Definitely a thumbs up.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 8 September 2014

We were only here for a night, passing through. I almost gave up because you have to call for reservations AND get the right person on the phone, which took me several tries. The main lodge is very cool, with its dining room, historic photos, and $5 Old-Fashioneds. However, our daughter was "creeped out" by the 1950s cabin we stayed in, which felt like staying at someone's great aunt's house. It's a place that's vintage but doesn't know it.
Very close to Little Bohemia Lodge, which I highly recommend for dinner.
Note that the waterfront is pretty, but not good for little kids because there's no beach, just a dock. Plenty of yard to run in though! We saw a family cooking the fish they'd caught over a fire.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family