“Nice Food, Nice people”

Dining options: Reservations
wisconsin
“Nice Food, Nice people”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Went to this restaurant with a Groupon for my birthday. They were very nice and did not act like we were scum for using one either, as some do. The food was delicious and we were seated with some very nice people, who were also there for a Birthday. They let me in on a secret. You can get some type of Saki shot on your birthday ( With Monster I think?) Not my fave, but still a nice gesture for the place. Preferred the Plum wine and food. At the end they even put a candle in my Ice Cream for my birthday and sang. We had the dinner for two and it was good. My husband added the Fried Rice and we were full and had enough to enjoy with the Packer game next day. I liked this place much more than a fancier, similar type Teppnyaki place on the other side of town. More for your $.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Marphilwi

Green Bay
“Our favorite japanese resturante in GB”
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Been there many times. Flair is not their strong point as with big city places. Decor needs to be updated. Please close the "scenic view" of Mason street to a more authentic Japanese feel; we do not need windows. Food can be prepared to order if you specify while they are cooking. Restrooms should be updated and enlarged. Price per entree is very reasonable. Can eat for three meals on one entree. But NEVER reheat in a microwave. Usually leave hungry at Nakashima's and they do not serve tuna as a main meal (wife).

Green Bay, WI
“A Bar Hopping Experience At a Fine Dining Price”
Reviewed 7 June 2008

#
User Rating: 1 out of 5 stars
by Sean
06/02/2008

Have you ever been to one of those Japanese places that has a Hibachi grill at each table? Usually there is a chef at each table with some crazy tricks to play with the food, and a personality to match. These kind of places usually have a fun vibe, and a loud social atmosphere. It feels like Timsan's is trying for this kind of experience, but they fail in each major category.

Ambiance: The decor is outdated, the lighting is too plain and bright for a classy restaurant. The staff was dressed very casually. There was no music. That made for a very awkward time when my wife and I were seated at the same table as a couple that we didn't know. By the general appearance of the staff and patrons, Timsan's seems to cater to the bar-hopping cigarette-smoking miller-lite-drinking singles crowd. Not what we expected. The chef ran out of tricks and interesting conversation about 2 minutes in to preparing the food, leaving us to eat in further awkward silence. Our food was served on plastic dishes.

Taste: We both ordered the vegetarian meal. At other restaurants we have found this to be a good choice. Usually there are lots of delicious sauces, a variety of vegetables, tofu, and more to make a really tasty meal. At Timsan's however, the entire meal consisted of fried onions and zucchini. It was so bland that I didn't realize that the food on my plate was the finished meal. I kept waiting for something good. Really a disappointment here. The salad include with the meal was a joke. It was about 3 small pieces of iceberg lettuce with a barely perceptible flake of carrot on it, with some ginger dressing. Honestly, the bit of carrot may have been an accident.

Price: Timsan's prices are right about what you would expect for a nice Japanese Steak House with food cooked on the hibachi at each table. However with how poor to mediocre the entire experience was, you'd think it would at least be cheap. Most dishes were $20-30 dollars per plate. I felt it was a little strange that fried rice was an extra charge of $4 and soda was $2, mostly ice, and no refills were included.

Allergy note: Those with allergies to shrimp, chicken, or red meat will want to skip this place entirely. All the food is prepared at the same time with the same utensils. Also, the bar area is very near to the dining area, so those who have difficulty with cigarette smoke may want to steer clear as well.

Update: The owner of Timsan's tells me they have a procedure in place to accommodate those with food allergies. They will prepare allergy sufferers' food separately in the kitchen. However, since the message that he used to inform me of this was abusive (and has thus been removed by Yahoo), I changed the rating to one star instead of two since that response affected my overall opinion of Timsan's.

3 Thank atomix1907432
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“fun place to go with a small group”
Reviewed 21 February 2008

fun place to go with a small group

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook